Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana mule deer

The Slammer. Gotta remember that.
Big Hank? Nope
Kahuna? Nope

I will forever looking for the: Slammer!

Wisconsin Outdoor News puts out a western hunting preview that reads like that. I should try and find one of them and post it, I'm sure some would get a kick out of it

I have hunted Montana every year for the last 30 years hard. Hunted Colorado twice in the last 4 years killed 2 bucks that were close to book. Always thought I was just a crappy deer hunter because I couldn’t kill a “slammer” in Montana….”unicorns” are what I call them in MT. I’m a unicorn hunter…very unsuccessful one in fact

This was just one "hunting" magazine. I wonder in how many other magazines and on line sources is Montana made to look like a spectacular mule deer state? mtmuley
All of them. Every freaking one. I had to learn years ago that the hunting publishing industry is just as dishonest as the hunters who comprise it, lol. If there are as many 150"+ muleys in this state as in the propagandists would have you believe, then they would have to be including the ears in the measurement. You'd also think you couldn't kill one with a rifle that was made before 2019 and chambered for anything that wasn't a 1000 yard target load.

Though I will say, I've seen more "slammers" poking around alfalfa and bean fields than some people in this thread are implying. In central MT, anyway. Drove by a pretty fair bruiser near Boulder last season before opening. When that time of year rolls around they're like walking clocks/calendars, lol.

Before long you Montana folks will go from the term "Slammers" to "Muy Grande". We call them "Hammers"! 😂

Other day daughters and I were glassing and daughter #3 (16) says hey dad check this one out, I flip the spotter around and look “holy smokes that thing is a toad” “super trashy” probably 165-170 non typical.. daughter #4 (12) says “wait I thought we were looking for deer not toads?” Lol.. daughter #3 and myself just look at each other and shake our heads.

We already use muy grande, picked that one up where I grew up.. the vaqueros got some southern desert mule deer on their walls from the 70’s that are impressive..

Last edited:
Good ol’ Petersen’s Hunting Magazine. I’ve got that issues. It’s about all rifle and trail cam advertisements.

If the MT FWP would manage properly it wouldn’t matter how many celebrities or magazines advertised Montana “slammer” mule deer.

Everyone knows about CO mule deer but they don’t kill them for 11 weeks and in the rut with rifles on OTC tags.
Colorado doesn't paint a picture of mule deer hunting that isn't representative of what is actually the case. And neither do celebrities or magazines. mtmuley

Other day daughters and I were glassing and daughter #3 (16) says hey dad check this one out, I flip the spotter around and look “holy smokes that thing is a toad” “super trashy” probably 165-170 non typical.. daughter #4 (12) says “wait I thought we were looking for deer not toads?” Lol.. daughter #3 and myself just look at each other and shake our heads.

We already use muy grande, picked that one up where I grew up.. the vaqueros got some southern desert mule deer on their walls from the 70’s that are impressive..
How would one even score a toad? I'm guessing skull measurements like with bears... lol

Colorado doesn't paint a picture of mule deer hunting that isn't representative of what is actually the case. And neither do celebrities or magazines. mtmuley
So it's the false advertising of big bucks around every corner in MT that is the issue? Not the rut hunting with rifles on general tags in 90% of the state?

The price is two Busch lights for coordinates to that buck. He is on public!!

Back