Montana Mule Deer Suggestions

Trying2Learn7

Trying to gather info on what unit/units would be good for a late season rifle mule deer hunt in Montana. Will be hunting elk in 270 with rifle. Would like to have suggestions on which nearby units would be good to hunt mule deer after the elk hunt. Since I am a non-resident to Montana, any/all help will be greatly appreciated.

Many of the limited entry units in MT are near where you will be elk hunting, so the possibility of adding a "nearby" mule deer chase, is going to be more difficult in Unit 270 than other areas of the state. The further east you go, the better your chances.

You can find some decent hunting in the unlimited areas in the Bitterroot and region 2, but with a general tag you're going to have a tough time finding good hunting without a half day's drive. Whitetail on the other hand...

Thanks to everyone who has responded. MTpubliclander, we will be driving up from TN. Randy11, certainly don't mind driving for 1/2 day, or more, to get into some good hunting. BigFin, don't mind heading east, would be somewhat on the way back to TN. Any more specific info, about units, specific areas, etc. would certainly be appreciated.

Montana Mle Deer Suggestions

Morning, again. Just did a bit more research, so am now interested in opinions about hunting a BMA: Region 5 or Region 7. Any insights into this are welcome. Have a great day.

Don't have any direct knowledge about the BMA's, but in general I would suggest Region 7. There are still good opportunities in Region 5, but I'd say on average, you're going to find better hunting east of the Bighorn River.

7 has lots of BMAs and some public ground. I've seen some elk here and there but not a ton on public. They move quite a bit with pressure, water, feed, etc from year to year.

Region 7 would definitely be a bit better than 5, some of 5 is drawing only around 510. But there are some big bucks around miles city. Also public land around the powder river. Too bad you don't have a 270 mule deer tag! What time are you going to be hunting?

Montanahunterjon, we will be hunting mule deer from 23 Nov to the end of the season. Have been looking into hunting in 7, trying to narrow down the possibilities in order to get the appropriate necessary permission, if needed. Any experience anyone would like to share about hunting 7 for mule deer would be extremely helpful. Have a great day.

Region 7 is a very big area. If you narrow it down to something smaller, i.e... Miles City, Terry, Ashland, Baker, ect that may help out.

I have hunted the Forest Service and private land in the Ashland area and have always seen some nice deer in that country.

Thanks doublea85 for this info--even though I may not have asked the question properly, you gave me the type of response that I need: suggestions on which "smaller" areas I should give a look. Have actually looked on the fwp.mt site a bit around Miles City. Will look at the other areas you mentioned--concentrating on Ashland. Again, thanks for helping.

Any experience anyone would like to share about hunting 7 for mule deer would be extremely helpful.

There are mule deer in Region 7. Some of them have big antlers. They are fun to hunt as is the country they reside. Find some areas where you can get a few miles away from a road, go hunting, and have fun. Although BMAs can be great, I wouldn't get bogged down in finding one to hunt. I'd recommend deciding WHERE you want to hunt first and then look to see if there are any BMAs around. Not the other way around. I think your best bet to get more detailed information would be to call a biologist or warden or PM folks. Few people, if any, are going to publicize their spots, at least to the level you're asking, on a hunting forum.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back