Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana mule deer rant

Yes, it absolutely was a rhetorical question.
And a revolving one. Not saying we shouldn't discuss, but until we can get the powers here in Montana to pay attention to mule deer, it's a lost cause. Most hunters do not value the privilege of hunting mule deer. Hence the "birthrights" and the Thanksgiving shooters. mtmuley

And a revolving one. Not saying we shouldn't discuss, but until we can get the powers here in Montana to pay attention to mule deer, it's a lost cause. Most hunters do not value the privilege of hunting mule deer. Hence the "birthrights" and the Thanksgiving shooters. mtmuley
I agree completely. And, that’s where Big Hank needs to be a leader and realize the 60 year old model isn’t working anymore.

Spot on that’s why I support killing them all on public, then we can all look across the fence on private land and say why can’t we hunt those deer. Not hard for me to see why those deer are acrossed the fence. Kill them all nothing is going to change.

I spoke to one of the main region biologist this past winter for about an hour and I think they have come to the conclusion that deer numbers post Ww2 (50-80s) were over-inflated due to low hunting, low predators, and people living a rqnching lifestyle and not many traveling hunters. He basically told me to get back to those numbers management changes would be implemented that would not be agreeable to most hunters, such as reduced seasons, curbing elk numbers, and such. This is basically the new normal and herds have stabilized. Additionally, these current management is based on lessons learned from CWD studies in other states. They are getting ahead of the problem by eradicating the deer herds to stop CWD spreading. That was basically what I took from the conversation.

I spoke to one of the main region biologist this past winter for about an hour and I think they have come to the conclusion that deer numbers post Ww2 (50-80s) were over-inflated due to low hunting, low predators, and people living a rqnching lifestyle and not many traveling hunters. He basically told me to get back to those numbers management changes would be implemented that would not be agreeable to most hunters, such as reduced seasons, curbing elk numbers, and such. This is basically the new normal and herds have stabilized. Additionally, these current management is based on lessons learned from CWD studies in other states. They are getting ahead of the problem by eradicating the deer herds to stop CWD spreading. That was basically what I took from the conversation.
Been there sounds accurate. Be happy with what you have we aren’t going to change, things are looking great. The stupid thing about it is minor changes could lead to a healthier deer herd and a lot of people in the field. Success would inevitably go down but after all its hunting.

There are likely some very valid kernels of truth in this, and also some solely meant to support the current path.

Just saw someone on another site struggling to find deer for their doe tag. The amount of miles they listed driving vs hiking was impressive
Saw that too. Makes that price/pound skyrocket for the amount of miles he has driven.

I think it’s hilarious to go to Montana as a NR , after months of bitching about NR on social media , then park at the bar at dark and see Montana pickups full of fork and 3 point bucks . Birthright#
Yep residents are just as guilty of stacking does up. Non residents are just an easy target just as they always have been

Yep residents are just as guilty of stacking does up. Non residents are just an easy target just as they always have been
NR do their fair share too I don’t really mean to make it N vs NR but opening weekend I hunted Dillon areas - on way home on 90 on like Wednesday after opener I saw trailers full of doe’s headed to western montana . Multiple

the new style biologist i mentioned earlier,, wonder where there getting there degrees,,,,,

Back