Montana Mule Deer Raffle

How many places in America could you expect/hope to shoot a buck that big? 180 is huge. Doesnt happen often or commonly.
This is the problem. 180 is not huge. There are a bunch of them killed every year in every state. Montana is definitely towards the bottom but even with our poor management we have 180 bucks killed ever year. We should absolutely be able to hunt 180” deer on LE units in this state.

Not me. No confidence it will ever get better. Odds are long for the tag I want. It took 20 years for things to get bad in this unit. I am not waiting 20 more for it to get better. mtmuley
I would be applying every year if I lived over there too.

This is the problem. 180 is not huge. There are a bunch of them killed every year in every state. Montana is definitely towards the bottom but even with our poor management we have 180 bucks killed ever year. We should absolutely be able to hunt 180” deer on LE units in this state.
as far as i can tell - MT has been a long ways from the "best" trophy mule deer state for a long time.

180 isnt "huge" but its beyond what a person should "expect" here based on history. 10x as many booners in WY/CO.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416_224542_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_224542_Drive.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
as far as i can tell - MT has been a long ways from the "best" trophy mule deer state for a long time.

180 isnt "huge" but its beyond what a person should "expect" here based on history. 10x as many booners in WY/CO.

IMG_1364.jpeg
Maybe just maybe it’s how and when we hunt them. I didn’t draw jack chit and I’m still not supporting this raffle based off of comments from the BHA members on this site. When BHA and MTFWP value mule deer my stance may change. IMG_3781.jpeg

View attachment 323146
Maybe just maybe it’s how and when we hunt them. I didn’t draw jack chit and I’m still not supporting this raffle based off of comments from the BHA members on this site. When BHA and MTFWP value mule deer my stance may change. View attachment 323150
You should check out their mission statement - it clearly doesnt fit what you are wishing they would comment on. Being mad about BHA's lack of stance on mule deer management in MT is like being upset your toaster isnt keeping your beer cold. I would expect them to be neutral at best on proposals that restrict opportunity - because they are generally for expanding access and opportunity.

The point remains - by the way. Montana hasnt ever been "excellent hunting" for mule deer on a relative scale.

I dont disagree there are policy/management changes that are necessary. Take that up with the fwp - or the mule deer foundation or similar.

Last edited:
You should check out their mission statement - it clearly doesnt fit what you are wishing they would comment on. Being mad about BHA's lack of stance on mule deer hunting in MT is like being upset your toaster isnt keeping your beer cold. I would expect them to be neutral at best on proposals that restrict opportunity - because they are generally for expanding access and opportunity.

The point remains - by the way. Montana hasnt ever been "excellent hunting" for mule deer on a relative scale.

I dont disagree there are policy/management changes that are necessary. Take that up with the fwp - or the mule deer foundation or similar.
Montana has definitely had excellent mule deer hunting relative to todays mule deer hunting.

Let’s not start acting like 180” bucks are the norm and are running everywhere in other states, did you listen to the Big Hunt Guys podcast with Professor Brock McMillan? They talked about how a study of like 2,000+ bucks in limited entry units managed for trophy’s averaged like 170”, and that across the west, the average is closer to 160” especially for general unit areas or poorer habitats. A 180” buck is a “huge” buck, most guys won’t ever kill a 180” especially if they can’t pass up the 150”. The average Joe is seeing a 160” on the hoof and calling it 180” and a 180” their saying they saw a 200”, see and hear this all the time. Amazing the number of guys I talk to, particularly western MT’ers and NR, who “see” 180” mule deer and 380” bull elk running everywhere in Eastern MT. I’d like to see you draw a Wyo/Colo tag and go kill a 180” let alone one of the abundant “booners”. You’re not even from Montana, how can you talk about what the mule deer hunting has been like here over the history of this state? Let’s see a few of your 180” deer before you start talking about what is and what isn’t a big deer.

Disclaimer: I’m not supporting or defending Montana’s mule deer mismanagement by any means.

Let’s not start acting like 180” bucks are the norm and are running everywhere in other states, did you listen to the Big Hunt Guys podcast with Professor Brock McMillan? They talked about how a study of like 2,000+ bucks in limited entry units managed for trophy’s averaged like 170”, and that across the west, the average is closer to 160” especially for general unit areas or poorer habitats. A 180” buck is a “huge” buck, most guys won’t ever kill a 180” especially if they can’t pass up the 150”. The average Joe is seeing a 160” on the hoof and calling it 180” and a 180” their saying they saw a 200”, see and hear this all the time. Amazing the number of guys I talk to, particularly western MT’ers and NR, who “see” 180” mule deer and 380” bull elk running everywhere in Eastern MT. I’d like to see you draw a Wyo/Colo tag and go kill a 180” let alone one of the abundant “booners”. You’re not even from Montana, how can you talk about what the mule deer hunting has been like here over the history of this state? Let’s see a few of your 180” deer before you start talking about what is and what isn’t a big deer.

Disclaimer: I’m not supporting or defending Montana’s mule deer mismanagement by any means.
It's worth the listen, I really enjoyed that episode. Alot of good information in it.

Both my kids have LE permits in MT this year. A permit that is at the lower end of single digit draw odds. Not much over a decade ago, I'd have been thinking they'd be hunting for a true 180+ and have a legit chance on this permit.

I'm fairly certain, this November, a 160 range deer is going to be looking pretty upper echelon. It's an area I've personally seen a lot of 180+ deer, and a couple 200" deer around 2 decades ago.

Like everywhere else in MT, the deer hunting in MT is piss poor, compared to what it could/should be. Management hasn't changed, and a lot of other things have.

I did see a 180+ 2 winters ago in 262 while on a drive on private land with a friend.

I've personally got no use for any MT raffle ticket.

I can not disagree. Since Wyoming, Idaho and Saskatchewan have all been top places for Mule Deer it is hard to argue that our management is not one of the reasons why.
Definitely. Management is what controls it.

In no way defending montanas management strategies. I wish there were more, older, decent age class bucks, and less pressure as well. I hope that things change.

I just wanted to point out that historically - it hasnt ever been the best place to hunt mule deer. Im sure this raffle tag will do more for mule deer in montana than whining about it.

Last edited:
Both my kids have LE permits in MT this year. A permit that is at the lower end of single digit draw odds. Not much over a decade ago, I'd have been thinking they'd be hunting for a true 180+ and have a legit chance on this permit.

I'm fairly certain, this November, a 160 range deer is going to be looking pretty upper echelon. It's an area I've personally seen a lot of 180+ deer, and a couple 200" deer around 2 decades ago.

Like everywhere else in MT, the deer hunting in MT is piss poor, compared to what it could/should be. Management hasn't changed, and a lot of other things have.

I did see a 180+ 2 winters ago in 262 while on a drive on private land with a friend.

I've personally got no use for any MT raffle ticket.
There are several units, in several states, thatd youd pick before 262 - now, then, and before then.

Definitely. Management is what controls it.

In no way defending montanas management strategies. I wish there were more, older, decent age class bucks, and less pressure as well. I hope that things change.

I just wanted to point out that historically - it hasnt ever been the best place to hunt mule deer. Im sure this raffle tag will do more for mule deer in montana than whining about it.
How have the funds been used from previous auctions. What real world benefits have the hunters of Montana seen. If you want to sell some tickets, maybe post up some previous auction tag bucks, and tell us how the funding is helping Montana mule deer. I’m just not buying the sales pitch.

There is a darn good reason no other state has an uncontrolled rut hunt in their management plan.

There are several units, in several states, thatd youd pick before 262 - now, then, and before then.
I feel like you’re comparing Montana’s mule deer hunting with the AZ Strip or the Kaibab. No one is saying it will ever be that good. Most people on here are just saying that it has been and could be so much better than it is currently.

Back