Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

I think Brock should start an "Age that deer" thread...I could use a little education from the HT crowd on how to properly age a deer. I'd think I'd get a lot of hits...

According to this thread, they're probably just some 3.5 year olds about to get steamrolled by the pumpkin patch this Novemebr...

Full disclosure - sponsored by lululemon
1664818288874.png

I think Brock should start an "Age that deer" thread...I could use a little education from the HT crowd on how to properly age a deer. I'd think I'd get a lot of hits...

According to this thread, they're probably just some 3.5 year olds about to get steamrolled by the pumpkin patch this Novemebr...

Full disclosure - sponsored by lululemon
1664818391644.png

Unless you have access to private I doubt many will be using their deer age judging skills in Montana on public land this year. Where have the deer gone is going to hit real hard.

Am I the only one that thinks Food and ELKdeerMT are the same guy?
I'm just a gomer trying to talk myself into believing there's a buck out there worth trying to find this year. I think i'm starting to pick up on the sentiment that "back in the day" the hunting was unbelievable now it sucks. I unfortunately don't have experience from "back in the day" so I'll shut up let the old timers weigh in on this thread..

Do you wish you still had an elk tag in your pocket more than you wish for a big MT mule deer?
I wouldn't mind trying to dig one of those 340's out of a hole the last week of Nov. The only constant on this HT forum is @Greenhorn dropping a toad the last week of Nov. with about a foot of snow around it and dead-fall for days.

I wouldn't mind trying to dig one of those 340's out of a hole the last week of Nov. The only constant on this HT forum is @Greenhorn dropping a toad the last week of Nov. with about a foot of snow around it and dead-fall for days.
Only years I've shot an elk the last week of November were 2005 (Gallatin) and 2011 (Custer). In other words, the years I've hunted elk the last week in November are pretty much the years I did not get one. 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2021..

Only years I've shot an elk the last week of November were 2005 (Gallatin) and 2011 (Custer). In other words, the years I've hunted elk the last week in November are pretty much the years I did not get one. 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2021..
Got ya, well i'll keep taking notes...trying to piece it all together. Bulls like that year after year is pretty incredible.

This is exactly what an FWP biologist told some of us 30 yrs ago. The Valley County Sportsmens Club promptly arranged a “horn show”. We might not produce many “net” B&C bucks but we can raise the fire out of 190-220 gross mule deer bucks…. Who cares about “net score”? In E. Mt nets are for fish.
Was hunting with my friend Pat in eastern MT a couple weeks back and mule deer came up in the conversation. He asked me if I'd ever herd of the name Albus from Hinsdale. I said yes. He said there's some old guys, maybe the grandpa or great grandpa that use to hunt those big mule deer up so and so creek in November, way before really anybody was doing it. They have just a huge pile of really great big old bucks from back in those days.

I'm just a gomer trying to talk myself into believing there's a buck out there worth trying to find this year. I think i'm starting to pick up on the sentiment that "back in the day" the hunting was unbelievable now it sucks. I unfortunately don't have experience from "back in the day" so I'll shut up let the old timers weigh in on this thread..

You find your 30” tall buck yet?

I figured I’d pick up skiing this year…

You find your 30” tall buck yet?
Brock, I went and got one of these in memory of “the good ol days”.

-“keep hammering”
-“lace them up tighter”
-“go deeper”

Attachments

• 337753CA-CC70-4E6B-B18D-2C5158E7EDCC.jpeg
    337753CA-CC70-4E6B-B18D-2C5158E7EDCC.jpeg
    839.8 KB · Views: 51
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member