MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

Has he been making big jumps is size, This may be all the bigger he is going to get.
This was him last year, pretty good jump. He won’t ever score well with his crazy right side but I think another year he could be a next level buck in terms of antler mass and a couple more inches in width. I’m trying to hold out for the #30inchtall unicorn.

Attachments

• 466E14A7-804A-4044-B3D4-70A54218DAF2.png
    466E14A7-804A-4044-B3D4-70A54218DAF2.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Only years I've shot an elk the last week of November were 2005 (Gallatin) and 2011 (Custer). In other words, the years I've hunted elk the last week in November are pretty much the years I did not get one. 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2021..

I smell some solid hunt journaling right thur. I pride myself of the notes and journal's I take each year. The notes are telling me this next 5 days should be good for me.

This was him last year, pretty good jump. He won’t ever score well with his crazy right side but I think another year he could be a next level buck in terms of antler mass and a couple more inches in width. I’m trying to hold out for the #30inchtall unicorn.
You never know what the next year will bring, but it does look like he took a big jump so there is a good chance you are right.
As for 30 tall, the only way you are getting one of those is to do strange things with the tape.

Hope he does. Good luck 👍

This season seems like the perfect storm. Bad weather = high success, not the opposite. Low population and high success = next year looking ever worse. But don't fret, they purposely reduced doe tags this year, so it will offset the loss. If you guys get a bad winter... F&G will reduce the doe tags again. Don't panic just yet.

Has MT ever closed a season due to potential overharvest? I think they delayed the opening of bow season 1 or 2 times due to fire danger. I know they've extended the elk season 3-4(?) times in the last 40 due to low harvests during regular season. Does FWP have the authority to close seasons once they start? I know they never would, but I'm curious.

Gauging satisfaction with some confidence level is not that hard. It's called mandatory reporting. New Mexico even does it for the lowly pronghorn.

Link to example here (second column from the right) - https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/download/hunting/harvest/2021_2022-Pronghorn-Harvest-Report.pdf

Nevada does the same. Maybe this is the reason some at Montana FWP have resisted mandatory reporting for so long. Having data that shows low satisfaction might require some change and adjustment.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back