Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

I don't believe it- FWP sent me a mule deer hunting opinion survey.

I think they're stalking us.

Last edited:
Their Data suggests things are improving...I would consider an average age of 5-6 to be a mature deer. Seems like a lot of deer in the 19-22" range which would suggest the numbers are reasonable but the genetics aren't great in the area.
I doubt the genetics of 652 are any different than any were else in the breaks or that there is much difference than what is north across the 49th parallel.

There is going to a big range of bucks, some that if they live long enough will grow to 200 inches or better and some that will never get better than 120 no matter how good the feed is or how old they live. Most bucks will fall some where in the middle. In a area like 652 were the access is good and few places are difficult to hunt the bucks with the top end genes are shot before they make it to four years old because at three years old they have a better set of antlers than most bucks will ever grow. Add in that 652 is a limited draw with a big quota. This means that there are plenty of hunters and almost all of them are looking for the best buck they can find, so there is zero chance that a buck with top end potential will live past five. Mean while there are likely low end bucks dying of old age.

Last edited:
Closest I could find to a #30inchtall buck. Let him walk, maybe he’ll get there in a few years….

Attachments

• DABE4D3E-0FB7-461B-9792-7EEEC2F7DD95.png
    DABE4D3E-0FB7-461B-9792-7EEEC2F7DD95.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 78
  • B7E50945-F6B1-4630-A4A6-A6D2905BF103.png
    B7E50945-F6B1-4630-A4A6-A6D2905BF103.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 79
"Shifting baseline syndrome" is a term which fits the trend of quality expectations of most Montana hunters perfectly. The term is exemplified by dockside photos of trophy fish at Key West between 1957 and 2007. Average weight of fish diminished by 90% but the smiles of the anglers stayed the same. (Source High Country News Nov 22). The baseline of what is quality shifts.....fish, elk, deer. Having hunted big heavy frame with stickers mule deer bucks in eastern Idaho in the 50's, the average "trophy" Montana mule deer buck is now what we would have termed basket buck in those days. But most Montana hunters are still smiling with their 2x2 or spindly 4x4 nowdays. The baseline has shifted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back