Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

In the 80s when it was general. Likely better than anything in MT now, private or public.
That’s wild, yeah I’ve had a handful of buddies eat that tag over the years (they usually shoot nice deer out east). One guy shot a 165, decent buck. I know some ranchers on the west side that have a couple nicer ones from way back but they’ve said a 155 is a good buck now from there.

That’s wild, yeah I’ve had a handful of buddies eat that tag over the years (they usually shoot nice deer out east). One guy shot a 165, decent buck. I know some ranchers on the west side that have a couple nicer ones from way back but they’ve said a 155 is a good buck now from there.
About 10 years ago one wandered onto our place and a lady came out and killed him. He was in the low 80s I think. I'll have to try and find a picture after that.....

Haven't seen one even worth a second look.

Montana doesn't have genetics......

When I was in college early 2000s I think decent bucks still came out of the Bridgers. I remember thinking I would take that tag. Not big bucks but what I would consider good ones.

Why, so someone else can shoot him? Makes no damned difference about the wolf when lead poisoning runs into thanksgiving weekend every damned year.
This is the attitude, and unfortunate truth of public land hunting in Eastern Mt..(I won’t speak to Western Mt., as I don’t go there(wish all of western Mt would extend the same courtesy 😉)

About 10 years ago one wandered onto our place and a lady came out and killed him. He was in the low 80s I think. I'll have to try and find a picture after that.....

This is exactly what an FWP biologist told some of us 30 yrs ago. The Valley County Sportsmens Club promptly arranged a “horn show”. We might not produce many “net” B&C bucks but we can raise the fire out of 190-220 gross mule deer bucks…. Who cares about “net score”? In E. Mt nets are for fish.

This is exactly what an FWP biologist told some of us 30 yrs ago. The Valley County Sportsmens Club promptly arranged a “horn show”. We might not produce many “net” B&C bucks but we can raise the fire out of 190-220 gross mule deer bucks…. Who cares about “net score”? In E. Mt nets are for fish.
I'm being sarcastic.... just like about 98 percent of the other time.

I also say the same thing regarding nets or width.

I used to say one of my favorite places didn’t have the genetics due to the fact I rarely saw a four point in it my entire childhood. Then magically for a few years they were seemingly everywhere. Now they’re kinda rare again. I think the real reason I wasn’t seeing bigger bucks when I was young was because they were moving to a big canyon system I didn’t have access to and then when that canyon filled full of whitetails the more mature mule deer moved to where I did have access. The reason they seem to be kinda gone again I suspect is due to an ehd outbreak that wiped out the whitetails and gave the mule deer more room

I used to say one of my favorite places didn’t have the genetics due to the fact I rarely saw a four point in it my entire childhood. Then magically for a few years they were seemingly everywhere. Now they’re kinda rare again. I think the real reason I wasn’t seeing bigger bucks when I was young was because they were moving to a big canyon system I didn’t have access to and then when that canyon filled full of whitetails the more mature mule deer moved to where I did have access. The reason they seem to be kinda gone again I suspect is due to an ehd outbreak that wiped out the whitetails and gave the mule deer more room
I need a sarcastic button....

There's genetics they just never get past 3.5 years old.

A couple 3.5-4.5 year olds that made it through last season...You think they'll be shooters this year?

Attachments

• IMG-6221.PNG
    IMG-6221.PNG
    3.7 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG-6219.PNG
    IMG-6219.PNG
    4.5 MB · Views: 56
Damnit Brock, if only you knew how happy guys like you make me. I finally found my happy place :ROFLMAO:. If I still had an elk tag in my pocket I'd be missing out on all this gomer talk.
We just want to know how to age deer through a spotter, man. Did you have a dentist make your spotter? btw, weird fetish.

I think Brock should start an "Age that deer" thread...I could use a little education from the HT crowd on how to properly age a deer. I'd think I'd get a lot of hits...

According to this thread, they're probably just some 3.5 year olds about to get steamrolled by the pumpkin patch this Novemebr...

Full disclosure - sponsored by lululemon

Back