PEAX Equipment

Montana Mule Deer Management Survey

Yea, Hank will fix it. Lol They have had 20 or more years to get a handle on it in the west and it steadily gets worse. It is the same outfit; they do not have the will to fix it. They don't ask hunters if they should raise or lower antelope, goat, moose, or sheep tags. Why do they ask hunters for permission to manage mule deer? I will tell you why...because they have no intention of correcting the problems. This is their cover. What they will actually do is blow some more smoke up your ass and continue on with business as usual. 5 years from now it will be worse, and they will have multiple excuses, number one will be... the public wants to shoot mule deer to extinction. (In so many words)

No problem though, the landowners will still have as many deer as they choose to have, and that is what matters.

The opener was best chance for that last “fortis next to the road”. You have to earn one this year. Wa, Wi, western Mt transplants have decimated the antlerless, and forkies early and often.
You can rewind the clock 25 years and insert “montana natives” and this would be accurate.

But it never hurts to ask, especially if you have an experience, informed, viable and valuable opinion.
Sorry but if they send you a survey because you ask it makes the entire survey results useless. We would all be calling and asking for it and skew the results to some logical conclusion. Logic has no place in FWP management policies for mule deer. Or elk for that matter.

No problem though, the landowners will still have as many deer as they choose to have, and that is what matters.
Part of me says Thank God for the Montana landowner. I have seen quite a few over the years make the hard decisions that FWP wouldn’t.

I wonder if or when the public will get to see the results of this survey.

Back