Montana Mule Deer District 270

Griztrax

What are peoples thoughts about me sharing my experience hunting District 270 this fall? Would that be of interest to people? I've never provided a blow by blow account of a hunt on these forums so really don't know the standard protocol. Are place names (drainages/mountains) taboo in a story? Number of bucks I'm seeing? Quality of bucks? Agony of the one that got away and thrill of harvesting a critter (hopefully)? Sometimes people talking about limited draw districts ruffles peoples feathers for some reason and I'm not here to do that. Is it best to start a "Live Hunt" thread or just get it going right here in the deer forum?

I just spent some time scouting and learning the area last week so I am beyond excited for season to start! Have been applying for that tag for what seems like an eternity....like many of us. Anyway, just wanted to see what kind of interest there would be. If you want to provide your opinions in a PM - go ahead and shoot me one. Thanks!

Generally if I found a spot by myself then I feel like I have agency to share as little or as much as I want. If you have been given beta from others then I think your best keeping everything close to the chest.

This tag is OIL status for NRs and getting there for residents too. Most folks wont be lucky enough to ever draw this tag so I'm sure they would be happy to hear about the experience.

Even with a limited entry tag, I would be circumspect about posting real time specifics about what you are seeing and naming names. The world is a small place even in a unit with less than 50 tags.

Other than that, please share lots of pics. I hunted it with a friend several years ago and it was a great time.

Thanks for the feedback guys - both here and in PM's. It's like a mini sociology study seeing the feedback :) . It seems like most are interested in seeing pics and hearing about the hunt without the details of where I'm hunting. I will try to post as I have time.

If it was me I would post the general stuff on the thread and describe the overall unit and your hunting experience in general. Like others have said if you found all the info out yourself then I would probably end the thread with if anyone draws this tag in the future feel free to pm me for more details. But it’s your hunt so how you share your experience is totally up to you and anyone that says otherwise has a problem with intolerance.

We love live threads, even the 'drinking coffee and having oatmeal when I woke up' posts. Many of us live vicariously through you guys on here. Pics, silly anecdotes, equipment, failed stalks...all of it...just stay in general terms about your area.

We love live threads, even the 'drinking coffee and having oatmeal when I woke up' posts. Many of us live vicariously through you guys on here. Pics, silly anecdotes, equipment, failed stalks...all of it...just stay in general terms about your area.

.....and if memory serves correctly, it would be good to work on your photoshop skeeelz of erasing swinigsets and recognizable housing additions/skylines while you are at it.

How many bonus points did you have when you drew?

I believe I had the maximum as I have not drawn a permit since they started awarding bonus points and I have applied every year.....so roughly 15 bonus points give or take. It's one of those things you don't think will ever happen and then when it does, it changes your whole approach to the upcoming season. On top of drawing this tag, a good buddy from across the state drew a 380 bull tag and so my time will be split between hunting with him here at home and traveling to the Bitterroot to chase deer around. Going to be a heck of a fall!

I believe I had the maximum as I have not drawn a permit since they started awarding bonus points and I have applied every year.....so roughly 15 bonus points give or take. It's one of those things you don't think will ever happen and then when it does, it changes your whole approach to the upcoming season. On top of drawing this tag, a good buddy from across the state drew a 380 bull tag and so my time will be split between hunting with him here at home and traveling to the Bitterroot to chase deer around. Going to be a heck of a fall!

270 deer and 380 elk should make for one heck of a hunting season

First update (non-update)

As suspected, I spent the entirely of bow season chasing elk in 380 with a couple permit holders - one being a best friend and the other a new friend I met here on the forums :). We had an amazing season but neither were able to stick a bull of their liking. I think both will tell you it was the best bow season either has ever had. Attached is a screen shot from a bull I called in and got on video. I was only able to spend half of one day in 270 and spent that time learning a few more road systems and doing some glassing. We did not see any mature bucks but saw roughly 50 does and fawns and younger bucks. That district is enormous!! I will not be able to get down for opening weekend but will be there for the first time the second weekend of season and then on and off for the rest of the season. I will report back as things progress. I am super excited for this opportunity!

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 79
What are peoples thoughts about me sharing my experience hunting District 270 this fall? Would that be of interest to people? I've never provided a blow by blow account of a hunt on these forums so really don't know the standard protocol. Are place names (drainages/mountains) taboo in a story? Number of bucks I'm seeing? Quality of bucks? Agony of the one that got away and thrill of harvesting a critter (hopefully)? Sometimes people talking about limited draw districts ruffles peoples feathers for some reason and I'm not here to do that. Is it best to start a "Live Hunt" thread or just get it going right here in the deer forum?

I just spent some time scouting and learning the area last week so I am beyond excited for season to start! Have been applying for that tag for what seems like an eternity....like many of us. Anyway, just wanted to see what kind of interest there would be. If you want to provide your opinions in a PM - go ahead and shoot me one. Thanks!
I for one would love a play by play. that's my old stomping ground! I cant wait to hear how it goes Mark! I doubt I'd be much help but I have friends there and they are hunting elk in that country all season.

Back