Montana Mule Deer District 270

Go back to that basin but watch any finger draws or patches of timber, a mature buck will come in and take a hot doe away by himself. This happened to us all the time up in the breaks. Very seldom saw a "Big" buck hanging out witha group of does. Always by himself holed up with a hot one. Have fun Mark!!

I watched a pile of does this afternoon that didn't have a buck, I couldn't figure out why except that our general season just closed (maybe they had one but he got lead poisoning), then after shooting light, when we just just barely seen anything, out walks a tank of a deer, no idea how big he was but likely "big". Even during the rut, the big guys know how to stay alive.

I watched a pile of does this afternoon that didn't have a buck, I couldn't figure out why except that our general season just closed (maybe they had one but he got lead poisoning), then after shooting light, when we just just barely seen anything, out walks a tank of a deer, no idea how big he was but likely "big". Even during the rut, the big guys know how to stay alive.
I’ve seen pretty much the same thing around here.

Thanks for all the info guys - much appreciated! I went back into that basin Friday morning after seeing 10 bucks on Thursday night and it was chaos in there. Saw 17 bucks....10 of which were in the 150 class but nothing bigger. At one point there were 7 bucks on the same ridge - all 140-150 inch deer. Great fun but frustrating too. Weather has been very warm so deer activity is about over within an hour of daylight. Some movement during day but most are bedding in shade. Tried a new area tonight and saw 2 really pretty bucks in the 160 range amongst all the other smaller bucks. Just keep hoping one of these bucks is going to take my breath away and still haven't seen it. My patience is wearing a little. LOL. I will say there is an impressive number of deer in this district and no shortage of bucks. Seems like every buck over 3 years old has a rack with issues. Poor backs or poor fronts if they fork at all. Is it too much to ask for a 5 year old 4x4? LOL. Tomorrow is another day and then back home to work for a few days. Loving my time with my son, Brett!

Headed home at noon today - roads were a mess so glad I did. Saw a lot of deer this morning and lots of rutting behavior....bucks chasing does and witnessed a fight right out the window of the truck. LOL. The one fighter we had seen 2 days ago about 2 miles away so he has been on the move. Has a broken right back so he is easy to pick out and apparently likes to fight. At the end of the fight he "growled" which was super cool. I have it all on video but don't know how to post videos here. Saw around 20 different bucks this morning but nothing very impressive. Some cool looking bucks but nothing big. I talked to the FWP biologist at the check station and told her about the ear-tagged buck we saw on Saturday and she said it's not one of hers. They have no bucks tagged and they use different colored tags. She is thinking it was tagged in Idaho! He is at a minimum 15 miles from here he was tagged and likely much further. Pretty neat. Back to work tomorrow for a few days then back after it. The rut will be in full swing when I get back - can't wait! Will attach a couple pics from today.

Attachments

• 00153_Moment.jpg
    00153_Moment.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 198
  • 00153_Moment2.jpg
    00153_Moment2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 193
Sitting at my desk planning out my next trip and going crazy trying to figure it out the best approach. This district has some amazing natural openings and a significant amount of fire-charred hills so one can drive around all day on the expansive road systems and see deer from the truck. You can literally drive right up to them and virtually pet them out the window. They get upset when they have to walk around your truck. LOL. I guess that is what happens in a district where they do not get shot at much. You can sit in the comfort of your truck and see 20-30 bucks a day or more and I admit that I have done quite a bit of driving around so far. I have also done some killer hikes and seen some of the best deer on those hikes. I feel like the roadless areas that cannot be glassed from a road might be my best bet at finding a toad. Would you guys agree with that? I also feel like around any corner of the road could be the right one too as I have seen some great deer from the truck too. So many options! Am I on the right track thinking the biggest/smartest bucks are going to be occupying habitat away from roads? That is what my instincts say. Will be back out there Thursday morning through Sunday. Thanks again guys for your words of wisdom.

I’d concentrate on the areas away from the road that would hold the most does and most likely some rutting bucks searching them out.
Driving around might get you a big buck also but I’d save that for the last day.

My experience hunting mule deer in the rut has shown that they can show up anywhere, anytime. I would just keep covering country and sooner or later you'll find the buck your after.

Pretty sure the Balfourd buck was shot close to a road. mtmuley
I'm not familiar with that buck - was he shot this year or in the past sometime? I can totally see big deer showing up near a road because there are soooo many does out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back