Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Mountain Goat- at wits end

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very strange thread. You’d think if it was that terrible one would just walk away. But yet posting updates. For what? Encouragement?

If you think an AK goat hunt will be a walk in the park you’re most likely not ready to get shit ton rained on for days, in addition to sleeping in a $800 tent that you already shredded. So many would give a left one for this tag. GO BACK!

Looks like good goat hunting weather next week…
@Marshian, it’s your tag but @Greenhorn’s plan is totally solid.

With the amount of effort you have already invested, making one more push and changing your hunting style from hiking fast to glassing and then pursuing would almost certainly pay off. I wouldn’t even consider getting an outfitter in there. You’re better off paying someone several hundred bucks just to go in with you to help pack and share the experience and help keep your head in the game.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.png
    IMG_1585.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
I'm a NR

I'm a NR with max goat points. If I were to apply, draw and then go, do you think if I took my kids blankie for moral support I could pull this off?
Idk man I took a down blankie with me when I killed that moose in my avatar. Thank god I did since the sleeping bag didn’t make it into the super cub so that was all I had for 9 nights in some pretty bad weather in ak.

You came here asking for help and advice. Many people here that know that country intimately gave you solid advice. How to hunt it, ideas for access, encouragement to push onward, even literal waypoints of mature billies via PM.

It is not possible that you ACTUALLY hunted this unit for 2 weeks without seeing a pile of goats. Your tracks look like you hunted two days, not two weeks.

If someone tells you exactly where a mature billy is, would you do what it takes to get there?
That’s a negative ghost rider…

Man, at this point just see if you can get a moderator to delete this thread to spare yourself the ridicule.

I camped in the more southern basin that greenhorn mentioned once and saw the biggest Billy of my life. Just to put it in perspective... I came over the top from xxxx creek and I was 11 years old. We didn't have a tent, we packed a sheet of plastic. We were headed for Bridge lake and got caught in a storm and dropped into that basin. When we got up in the morning there were 25 to 30 goats above us and one was a twin to that filthy goat that Randy killed. That is when I discovered goats and there is nothing that I would rather hunt.
It is snowing on it now but I bet it will melt off one more time.

Last edited:
Wish I could have been there to witness the tent murder in person......maybe even pay a couple goat points to see it....brings a new meaning to stabbing cabin.....
GO BACK!! Get off the trail. Be done when you kill 1 or you run out of season.....

Ok, I'll bite. If you are good with all that hiking you seem to be in decent shape. Could you explain why you can't sleep out there and have a full day for glassing?

This thread is awesome. Reading through it as the posts go from encouragement to rightly deserved ridicule is priceless. I cant fathom why he admitted to going wiggy on his tent etc, but dam it was funny. I still consider the 18 days I climbed around in the crazies on my goat hunt as the best hunt Ive done in MT. I killed mine Nov 16 and packed it out through nut deep snow, It sucked... and every yr I put in hoping I get to do it again. Good God Man! Suck it up and get it done or forever hide your head in shame.

Shoot a goat later than about 2:30PM 10 miles from the truck and you’ll be spending the night anyway. If you won’t be bringing camping gear, bring something like an sil tarp, MSR emergency bivy and down pants and down coat. All this combined weighs about 4 lb and will keep you alive.

First, you’re going to need thicker skin. Second, you’re going to need to figure out how to camp out, against doctors orders or whatever phobias or discomforts you have. Great times/things await you when you pull the head out. I mean that in the most friendly and supportive way. 🙂 I hope you have a great mtn goat hunt.

I guess I’ll break my word on my previous post about being incommunicado. I have plans to return and hunt more, at the similar area as I was thinking to camp. But I will say, and let the hate rain down, it’s very cathartic for many of you I see, that I will under no circumstance be backcountry camping. I could buy a new tent, but if there’s one thing this hunt drilled into me, is that I am intolerant of backcountry camping. I have my reasons, one of them medical, and have tried camping in the past but those days are over. So I’m fine to get to the trail at 4 am, hike 20 miles and glass as able, but I won’t be staying up there. But I do plan to return and hunt the way that is most enjoyable to me. Now continue on with the excellent witticisms and roasting. I have my popcorn ready.
There you go! Make as many long hikes as you can before the snow gets in the way. You'll probably run into other tag holders that are in the same boat as far as the access is concerned. GH gave you a solid, there WILL be goats there, you just have to take the time to find them. Hopefully you can hook up with a trail companion and really enjoy the high country.

I am pulling for you "Marshian". Hopefully you will actually get a chance to see a goat or two. They are a spectacular critter that live in amazing country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back