MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Mountain Goat- at wits end

Status
Not open for further replies.
The list of mountain goat units that can be successfully day hunted with a reasonable expectation of success is much shorter than those units that require backcountry camping.
Drawing success rates directly correlate as such.

The crappiest hike I did when I had my sheep tag in Wyoming was hiking out about mid-season without a ram after spending 7 days solo glassing/hunting sheep everyday. I had to leave for some work obligations I really couldn't get out of, and I was out of food by then. If it weren't for work, I would have built a fish trap, shot some squirrels, grouse, marmots, etc. to stay in longer, it sucked leaving. Worst part of the 26 days I hunted before killing a ram was having to leave on that one particular trip.

A few motivational pictures from that trip:

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_06091.JPG

IMG_31271.JPG

IMG_31231.JPG
I assume your tent made it out okay?

I had a mildly retarded coworker who drew a goat permit in the bridgers about 20 years ago. Bridgers is a fantastic trophy goat area and toughest draw in MT. I took him up and we camped out below the ridge. Day one, he was all pumped up to shoot the first one we saw, a nanny that had a kid along side. I wouldn't let him and there was some arguing. Later that day we were breaking limbs for a fire and he detached his bicep from his right forearm. I had to take down camp and pack everything off in one heavy trip. He got surgery, but recovered enough by the end of the season to make his way back up and kill a nanny around thanksgiving.

A month later at our company Christmas party he was armwrestling with his left arm, and broke that, again requiring surgery. Karma's a bitch.

I had a mildly retarded coworker who drew a goat permit in the bridgers about 20 years ago. Bridgers is a fantastic trophy goat area and toughest draw in MT. I took him up and we camped out below the ridge. Day one, he was all pumped up to shoot the first one we saw, a nanny that had a kid along side. I wouldn't let him and there was some arguing. Later that day we were breaking limbs for a fire and he detached his bicep from his right forearm. I had to take down camp and pack everything off in one heavy trip. He got surgery, but recovered enough by the end of the season to make his way back up and kill a nanny around thanksgiving.

A month later at our company Christmas party he was armwrestling with his left arm, and broke that, again requiring surgery. Karma's a bitch.

Don’t shoot the bearded lady? I concur

Interesting….I have never seen flaccid used in this context.

Those statistics definitely put things in perspective for me
I wanted to bring attention to the degree of despair that a more typical vernacular just wasn't going to convey. I honestly get more excited thinking about my powerball odds.

no, but I have had my ass kicked at a party in butte one time, and you can guess where the red headed shitbag and his 3 or 4 friends were probably from. Definitely Irish. Drunk little leprechaun gnome looking goofs
Lots of redheads in northern Iraq. Of course, we assumed that was due to our supply sergeant, a redheaded gulf war vet.

Best post I’ve read on hunttalk was when I was beat fuggin down and hunting sheep. @Oak did it and it rings 110% true for me anyway.
“Now it is pleasant to hunt something that you want very much over a long period of time, being outwitted, out-maneuvered and failing at the end of each day, but having the hunt and knowing every time you are out that, sooner or later, your luck will change and that you will get the chance that you are seeking." - Ernest Hemingway
This moose hunt is gonna be a real test for my pal Jake. Hopefully no going Texas Chainsaw on the tent. That damn battery in the saw weighs more than my rifle. We will have firewood here when it’s late.
IMG_5967.jpeg

Best post I’ve read on hunttalk was when I was beat fuggin down and hunting sheep. @Oak did it and it rings 110% true for me anyway.

This moose hunt is gonna be a real test for my pal Jake. Hopefully no going Texas Chainsaw on the tent. That damn battery in the saw weighs more than my rifle. We will have firewood here when it’s late.
View attachment 296894
Maybe you should slip a little Hemingway in your pack for after the sun goes down.
Hem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back