Montana Mountain Goat- at wits end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably cuz I have a family to provide for so can’t drop everything on a whim for a dead animal. But I’ll do what I can. This years success rate damn well better be 14/15 at worse with me being the only potential loser. How could it not be?

Bridge sucks.....unless you make the pup bring some beer.
53254713325_8802147d7e_k.jpg

The comment about someone boomeranging their bow after missing a bull is pretty comical.
Slashing the tent still gets the edge.

Bout the only time I'd like to be a squirrel,... overhead.

Go gettum @Marshian .

The comeback from melt down would become Hunttalk lore .
I'm rooting for you.

I think shank the tent needs to enter our common vernacular.

“I’m about ready to shank the tent.”

“He really shanked the tent on that one. What a pussy.”

“Don’t shank the tent. Get the #*^@#* out there!”

From a popular yet unnamed Hunttalker!
When I draw a goat tag tent shank is gonna be in the title.

Probably cuz I have a family to provide for so can’t drop everything on a whim for a dead animal. But I’ll do what I can. This years success rate damn well better be 14/15 at worse with me being the only potential loser. How could it not be?
Of course nobody else has families and careers. Just a "dead animal” and "on a whim" - like 7 weeks.

1697165619490.gif

has anyone else read the famous poem about shanking the tent?

Beneath this endless, starry sprawl,
A fury fierce, it grips my soul.
In shadows deep, my heart is rent,
To dare to act, to "shank the tent."

A blade, it gleams, a silent cry,
Tears through the canvas, oh, so sly.
In rage, I'm driven, discontent,
To rend and tear, to "shank the tent."

Oh, moon, bear witness to my ire,
A heart ablaze with vengeful fire.
Each cut, each thrust, my soul's intent,
To claim my vengeance, "shank the tent."

Morning's light, a cruel lament,
Reveals a scene of wild torment.
Yet still, my heart, though spent and spent,
Finds solace in the "shanked" lament.

@Marshian, I don’t think anyone really cares whether you hunt their way or not. Those of us who are recommending camping and glassing are doing so because it’s the most effective way to find goats on their feet before they bed in the morning and after they get up in the afternoon. Spotting feeding goats vs bedded goats is way easier hunting.

It is possible to find goats by hiking the trails but you are spending more time where the goats are not than where the goats are.

Whoever gave the advice to at least carry survival gear if you’re day tripping is 100% correct. We spent a night beside the fire without sleeping bags on my first hunt on there after we made the decision that trying to cross the cliffs we came over was going to be too dangerous at night. It was a good decision but not a comfortable night. But, it was better than falling off a cliff or getting back to camp at 3 AM. I shot my Billy the next morning as we hunted our way back to camp.

I sat through one of the worst alpine lightning storms I’ve ever been in, that night in the tent at elk lake. Accessed it from Copper. There were six griz (counting cubs) in Hellroaring between there and Copper. Saw goats though.

The lightning storms are 1000000000x worse than any grizz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back