Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Legislature - 1 month until the Show

I found the draw stats page, here https://myfwp.mt.gov/fwpPub/drawingStatistics

I struggle to find what the change is, although I can't really make sense of the numbers. If I follow the columns looking at QTA, Successful, and Total Success, it looks like MT gives out more than the Quota. For example, 338- 100 Quota, 15 Res LO success, 10 NR LO success. WTF, that's 25%?
I'm not exactly sure why the law was drawn up. I would like a law that says all Montana public employees have to take a 3rd grade math class.
View attachment 256803
That stats page for some columns is garbage. They should let a HS graduate make the necessary adjustments to it. My understanding is that LO allocation is 15% period. Within that 15% the NR allocation is 10%. So a unit with 100 tags and 15 LO permits really has a quota of 13 R and 3 NR Permits, yet they put 15 and 10 in the quota columns. The only numbers they publish that are worse are the ones in the regs book. Those are 100% worthless.

That stats page for some columns is garbage. They should let a HS graduate make the necessary adjustments to it. My understanding is that LO allocation is 15% period. Within that 15% the NR allocation is 10%. So a unit with 100 tags and 15 LO permits really has a quota of 13 R and 3 NR Permits, yet they put 15 and 10 in the quota columns. The only numbers they publish that are worse are the ones in the regs book. Those are 100% worthless.
Agree. They seem to count the numbers twice (at least). But I still don’t see the point of the law. I don’t think the acreage changed. At least when a law is drawn up by the lobbyist it makes sense because the lobbyists understand the laws. This one looks drawn up by the legislator who obviously doesn’t.

Lots of junk already on the list.

Can someone in the know give an estimate on how much it costs MT taxpayers per bill introduced? I seem to think it exceeds $1000 just to have it on the docket.

A cap would prevent all the junk bills
I can't imagine that's the case, at least I hope not. Jon Bennion mentioned in that podcast that there are already 4000 bills on the docket. That would be costing MT taxpayers $4 million.

I found the draw stats page, here https://myfwp.mt.gov/fwpPub/drawingStatistics

I struggle to find what the change is, although I can't really make sense of the numbers. If I follow the columns looking at QTA, Successful, and Total Success, it looks like MT gives out more than the Quota. For example, 338- 100 Quota, 15 Res LO success, 10 NR LO success. WTF, that's 25%?
I'm not exactly sure why the law was drawn up. I would like a law that says all Montana public employees have to take a 3rd grade math class.
View attachment 256803
FWP already offers landowner preference for deer and antelope. Elk too but sounds like landowner preference for elk is the only one in law. This law is essentially to legalize something they’re already doing. The chart doesn’t make it appear that there’s many landowners applying for antelope preference. Not sure what would happen if 338 had 10 NR landowners apply and 15 R landowners apply. Based on recent history I expect FWP would err on the side of the landowner no matter what the law states. The most interesting part of this chart is how many districts have total successful applications that are less than the quota. 700 with a quota of 7500 but only 7495 successful applications. With years of rumors of certain tags being given to either FWP employees or given by the administration to those they want to help, it makes you wonder.

House Fish is coming out of the gate fast, with 4 bills being heard on Tuesday, January 3rd: http://laws.leg.mt.gov/legprd/LAW0240W$CMTE.ActionQuery?P_SESS=20231&P_COM_NM=(H)+Fish,+Wildlife+and+Parks&P_ACTN_DTM=&U_ACTN_DTM=&Z_ACTION2=Find

It's going to be an action packed session folks.

Landowner Preference for Deer and Antelope…160 acres

Montana’s future certainly involves more limited entry deer districts, and pronghorn permits aren’t abundant.
Only a small pile of Montanans would benefit, and as we already know, it wouldn’t stop there.

Last edited:
Landowner Preference for Deer and Antelope…160 acres

Montana’s future certainly involves more limited entry deer districts, and pronghorn permits aren’t abundant.
Only a small pile of Montanans would benefit, and as we already know, it wouldn’t stop there.

This is an agency bill relative to the current ARM rule that allows for this, but with no sideboards on the number of permits available. The 160 is standard statutory language. It does need to change. Not a bad bill, IMO but hopefully we can up the acreage to a more meaningful approach.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back