Montana hunter reports killing grizzly bear in self-defense

I once stood in Hayden Valley in Yellowstone gazing at a large bison herd loafing along the banks of Alum Creek. A lady and her husband stood next to me in the pullout, the lady with binos pressed to her face. After a minute or two, she squeals, “Wow. There are wolves out there! They’re running all over, playing with the buffalo!”
Intrigued, I lifted my glass, but couldn’t find a canine of any kind anywhere. After a moment of confusion, I finally asked, “Are you talking about the orange-colored ones?”
“Yeah!” she quickly responded.
“Ma’am, those are baby bison,” I said in the most polite voice possible.

Those are the kind of people signing wolf petitions at urban zoos.

I laughed way to hard at that story. I agree with what you’re saying though.

While growing up in Montana in the 80's there were very few grizzly attacks. The horn hunters in the spring would occasionally get eaten when the bears crawled out of hibernation. That was prewolf era.

The horn hunters in the spring would occasionally get eaten when the bears crawled out of hibernation.

Damn you're just making CO reintroduction more and more appealing... can I order 2 dozen for the Utah boarder with expedited shipping if possible? Now that rifle season is winding down we only have a few months before the ladies at MtnOps start instagraming their search for brown gold.

Last edited:
I laughed way to hard at that story. I agree with what you’re saying though.
Yeah, I shouldn’t have maligned the poor woman though. My apologies. I certainly have my areas of ignorance. I’m just a little annoyed by these ballot initiatives. They hijack the political process. They take biology out of the hands of the biologists. Sorta makes me ill.

Yeah, I shouldn’t have maligned the poor woman though. My apologies. I certainly have my areas of ignorance. I’m just a little annoyed by these ballot initiatives. They hijack the political process. They take biology out of the hands of the biologists. Sorta makes me ill.

I’m right there with you dude. I don’t agree with the ballot initiative either, it seems like a chickensh!t way to go about it. It does take the science out and forces it to be political. I wouldn’t feel bad about the Yellowstone thing, we were there once and tourists were looking in the woods arguing if something was a moose or an elk. My dad told them it was a mule deer. Some people just don’t know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back