Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana Guide Banned for life

I am not sure but I think Montana is part of the wildlife compact so he also loses privileges in states that are a member of the compact.
I was thinking the same thing. I know Montana is part of the compact and will hopefully do the necessary follow up to extend the ban to the Western States Compact

Most midwest states are a part of the compact, so he will have a tough time fishing or hunting anywhere, legally anyways.

The easiest time to stretch the hunting laws is during the season. Having your privileges pulled will make it harder to blend in with all of the legal hunters.

You're probably right but he obviously doesn't shy away from high risk hunting behavior. He could easily roll the dice on not getting checked. I'm old enough for all of Denny's discounts and I've only had my license/tag/deer-elk meat checked once.
I'm thinking if he is $50k in the hole it might be tough to hunt anywhere. I know there has been changes to seizure laws but I've heard of game law violators losing weapons and trucks.

You're probably right but he obviously doesn't shy away from high risk hunting behavior. He could easily roll the dice on not getting checked. I'm old enough for all of Denny's discounts and I've only had my license/tag/deer-elk meat checked once.
I'm thinking if he is $50k in the hole it might be tough to hunt anywhere. I know there has been changes to seizure laws but I've heard of game law violators losing weapons and trucks.

Montana does not have a civil forfeiture law.

Heavy fines with the possibility of asset forfeiture may be the path forward. Or significant jail time. Loss of hunting rights is fine but kinda misses the point, as you all have pointed out. His fines weren't negligible here.

Yup, I know where that is.

Just wondering if that’s where the poaching took place or if the animals were shot elsewhere and dumped there.
The majority of the elk were poached off Sarpy Creek road in the general vicinity of the mine. I believe the antelope came off the rez.
he also shot another elk over by Ennis in 2017 that I saw pictures off.

Last edited:
Was trying to find a MT poaching penalty statistic page to get a bearing for where this penalty sits... Anyone?
Seems most of the poaching cases I've heard over time, say over the course of 20 years with a few large case exceptions, rarely held lifetime bans.

Take for example this case from 2015, SW MT:
The magnitude of the case below makes the current child's play. Young buck w/ 500 hours conservation based community service is a hell of a lot worse off than a suspended sentence.
"I sentence you to a 1,000 year suspended sentence" wooo-we!
Foster admitted to the crimes, which included failing to tag animals, the transfer of hunting licenses and killing game animals over his limit. He received a 10-year suspended sentence with six months of house arrest and lost all hunting, fishing and trapping privileges for life. Sally Foster received a five-year suspended sentence and lost her hunting, fishing and trapping privileges for 10 years. Together, the Fosters are also required to pay $2,500 in fines and are responsible for $9,150 in restitution for the unlawfully taken fish and game animals.

I am not sure but I think Montana is part of the wildlife compact so he also loses privileges in states that are a member of the compact.

As of July 2018 only Hawaii and Massachusetts are not members. The other 48 states are members of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.

ClearCreek

I would bet a cold one he brakes the rules again soon but getting caught??? Greed will get him and not being able to show off.

Let me pre-empt some criticism by saying in no way do I agree with what this guy did. I am glad he was caught and feel the punishments were justified and fair. However, I'm not sure I agree with the lifetime ban, I think taking away the privilege of hunting and fishing for LIFE almost guarantees he breaks the law again in this manner. Maybe after he gets off probation in a decade give him another chance, I don't know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back