Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana Guide Banned for life

SD_Prairie_Goat

I've always wondered if a poacher even thinks about his hunting rights or having a license. If you kill game illegally, why worry about a license? I'm more in favor of heavy fines and losing the right to own a firearm.
The way I read the article it seemed like he took a lot of the game with just a bow, and that would be very difficult to restrict... But I do agree what is to stop them in the future since they didn't care about laws/rules before...

From the Billings gazette:

Not sure what that has to do with this guy being a poacher? You're infatuation with the Crow tribe is interesting...
Trying to figure out where the poaching took place as the article was kind of vague...and trying to earn my cred on here by getting to 1000 posts. Thanks for helping me get there mate.

I've always wondered if a poacher even thinks about his hunting rights or having a license. If you kill game illegally, why worry about a license? I'm more in favor of heavy fines and losing the right to own a firearm.
The easiest time to stretch the hunting laws is during the season. Having your privileges pulled will make it harder to blend in with all of the legal hunters.

Probably not a great idea to post your poaching activity on an open instagram account...

I think a lot of you would be shocked at how many guides in Montana have wildlife violations on their records. I know of a handful just here in my county and I am sure there are many more that I don't know about. MOGA seems to not care one little bit that the industry they "regulate" is full of people that have poaching and other fish and wildlife violations on their records.

The easiest time to stretch the hunting laws is during the season. Having your privileges pulled will make it harder to blend in with all of the legal hunters.
I agree. I think lifetime hunting bans are the most serious form of punishment, particularly for these hardcore offenders. In many instances courts will rule you are not allowed to even be in the company of licensed hunters if you have such a ban...which makes it very difficult to evade detection. If someone truly has a passion for hunting and outdoors - I cannot fathom engaging in conduct that could potentially put them in jeopardy of a lifetime ban.

Sarpy creek is northeasterly from Hardin. Good little pocket of elk up there, mainly on private land (or in the middle of I-94) as I nearly learned the hard way once.

Trying to figure out where the poaching took place as the article was kind of vague...and trying to earn my cred on here by getting to 1000 posts. Thanks for helping me get there mate.

Sarpy Creek is west and northwest of Colstrip. The head of it borders the Northern Cheyenne reservation.

Sarpy Creek is west and northwest of Colstrip. The head of it borders the Northern Cheyenne reservation.
Yup, I know where that is.

Just wondering if that’s where the poaching took place or if the animals were shot elsewhere and dumped there.

Glad to see this guy got significant punishment (not enough though IMO).
Frankly, I would like to see the financial penalties for poaching drastically increase across the board (all states), coupled with real jail time. Too many times these thugs just get off with a slap on the wrist and a laughable fine. IMO, poaching could be dramatically reduced by simply making it a more severely punishable crime, with ramifications lasting a life time.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back