Caribou Gear

Montana Girl gets first buck!!!

Nemont

Well the Montana general big game is finally over. This year my daughter put in her very first hunting season. She passed on some bucks because she just was not comfortable with the shot. She hunted with me in between basketball games and social events on her calendar. She got up at 5 a.m. several mornings to head out. She got to experience blow outs on the pick up, tire changes, cold, wind and rain. Through it all she hung tough. Finally today at 3:45 p.m. she connected on a mule deer buck!!! 3x3 19 inches wide. We spotted the buck on a side hill about 600 yards away, there were about 8 does between us and him so we had to skirt around them without spooking them.

We peek over a ridge and he was feeding broadside on the sidehill. I ranged it for her at 281 yards. She calmly put down her bi-pod and asks me to range him again, Still reads 281 yards she puts the scope on him and gets steady and sqeezes off a shot and the buck jumps up and starts to stumble. He rolls to the bottom of the hill stone cold dead. Perfect shot that took out both lungs.

It was the most rewarding hunting I have ever done. I will post pics as soon as I get them developed. I am so pumped!!!!!

Nemont

A big CONGRATS to your daughter! I guess the leaf doesn't fall too far from the tree!! What a great feeling.

Nemont.. congrats to your daughter on her trophy and also to you for getting her involved . No bigger reward than to share the time afield with the youngsters. Looking forwars to the pics! :cool: :D

I am pretty sure that hunt will be one that you remember for many years. Congrats to you for the time and effort you put in to make her hunt memorable.

And Congrats to Miss A. for sticking with it, and holding out for the buck she wanted. I hope she hits you up for a Taxidermy bill on that guy. There may be no better trophy.....

Tell your daughter Congrats!!
It is great when you can see your children carry on a tradition such as hunting..
With all the anti-hunting talk going on nowdays, we need to make a special effort to keep them involved and carrying on the tradition.
There is a great reward seeing them take their first animals also. My daughter took her first bull elk this year, and it was rewarding for me also. Only problem there was it was bigger than anything I have ever taken!!!!! She has all the bragging rights for elk in our family now!! She loves it, but then again, so do I !!
Rick

nemont,

congrats to your daughter! it sounds like she waited til the last minute, but got the job done perfectly which is what really counts.

i'm looking forward to the pics.

Thanks everyone for the congrats.

EG, You are right this hunt will be in the memory banks forever. To me this was more the same as killing a new B&C world record. She decided that just a horn plaque will be okay because she doesn't want a full head mount in her room. Antlers are already at the taxidermist and horn plaque ordered.

IT & Big Sky,
It was a GREAT shot. She had a chance at a buck opening day and decided not to pull the trigger because she just wasn't comfortable. She had a chance at a couple of smaller bucks and decided she wanted to wait to find something bigger. The only time she pulled the trigger she connected. All the time shooting at the range paid off!!!.

Big Sky, we never did connect for a Whitetail hunt. You up for any duck and goose hunting? Maybe pheasants? Let me know.

Again Thanks all. I hope to have pics by the end of the week.

Nemont

Congratulations to you and your daughter, Nemont. Sounds like you had a great time. Looking forward to the pictures.

Oak

Nemont,

Congrats on the hunt.

Taking the time to help your kids is great...I sure appreciate my Dad taking time with us.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back