Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana General Hunt- First Time Elk Hunter

BowHuntPhysio

First time poster from Rochester, NY. I am going on my first elk hunt this fall and have the Montana general big game combo tag. My hunting partner and I will be driving out 9/16 and be there until 9/30. I have the only tag and he is just tagging along to help out and gain exeprience. We have been getting our feet wet with out of state hunting in Ohio and are ready for the real deal. We are considering unit 442 but are still debating where to go. We are looking for a true back country experience and dont want to deal with much hunting pressure. We are in our 20's and in good shape but are not used to elevation. The goal is to head home with any legal elk and gain experience for future hunts. If anyone has any advice on hunting this area or any reason we should consider somewhere else it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chad

I will be completely honest. To bag an elk without experience on your first trip is extremely difficult. Elk hunting is like nothing else. The animals are some of the smartest around. There's a lot you have to plan for that while you've given it a thought, probably don't know how big of a deal it is. Wind is huge. Thermals are huge. I never even heard of the word thermal. Do not be disappointed if you come home empty handed. Lots of us still do and we like you are meat hunters. That doesn't mean it's an unsuccessful trip.

Best of luck to you. Don't get discouraged. Just have a lot to learn that only experience will teach you.

You can surely have a backcountry experience in Unit 422. Do as much research as you can. I've never hunted elk in that unit, but where the public elk live is some tough, nasty, country. Coming from NY, you will be driving by a lot of other good elk country to get there. Good luck.

I used to bow hunt in 442 on the North Fork of the Sun River. I think there are some outfitters hunting there now. You might contact the KbarL or JJJ outfitters about packing out your meat as your likely to be in anywhere from 13 to 20 miles in. This is in the Bob so it's walk or horses. The weather can be 60 above or snow and cold that time of year. Its great country you will fall in love with it.

Last edited:
If you have time and $100 to spend, I strongly recommend taking the courses at Elk101.com. It's run by Corey Jacobsen and there's truly so much to learn even for the most experienced elk hunter. Learning to understand elk is in my opinion the best way to become a good elk hunter. His content will teach you what is important to them and how to think like them. I took it recently and I regret not taking it sooner. I probably would have filled a couple more tags had I done so.....

I'll be curious to see how your hunt goes in Montana. I'm in NY as well and want to go out west at some point to chase elk. But after watching Randy pack that elk out of the nasty brush in Colorado, hunting a field from a tree stand looks mighty good again. :p

Make sure you are doing the stair climbers or finding hills to climb. It's essential you are able to hike up mountains day after day. A ten day hunt will wear you down.

We have been getting our feet wet with out of state hunting in Ohio and are ready for the real deal
Well if anything will get you ready for Montana, Ohio certainly will do it, good luck in adventure! :rolleyes:

Just teasing, make sure you do a bunch of down hill packing with 50 plus pounds on your back, and do it off trail, nothing will test your legs like packing an animal out!

Last edited:
Good luck and enjoy the time here. All we can say is try and be in good shape some of the mountains feel like they go on forever and do not get frustrated. We have never hunted that area but would think if your willing to put on miles will see some animals and hear a few bulls bugle that's worth it just to hear them .

One question, you realize this is archery season and not rifle? I ask as you never mentioned that. Also this area is very dependent on the migration out of the Sun River Game Preserve, there is no hunting allowed in there at any time.

Be really honest with yourself here.

How good is your physical condition?
How good are you at backpacking?
Are you comfortable with griz?

442 is an incredible unit, but for someone learning the ropes of elk hunting I don't know that it's the best one to cut your teeth on. It's doable, and there are some great bulls. The country is fantastic, but it's also damned big.

Thanks for all the help so far. To answer several questions in one post:

We do realize it is archery season. We want to hunt during the rut. I appreciate the brutal honesty from everyone. I feel like we are "getting" well prepared. I am always open to further advice on how to be better. All joking aside I feel like the Ohio trips despite being obviously much less intensive did help us to prepare for this type of trip. Most 9 day hunting trips spent in a tent will get you used to being uncomfortable, frustrated, and constantly re-evaluating decisions. Learning how to read and interpret aerials and topo maps. Learning how air movement changes in hill country. How to change strategy based on hunting pressure and weather factors. We did learn a lot and had a little success (see picture posted below). Most of all we had a great time enjoying America's beautiful public lands. As for elk hunting knowledge we are true beginners. I have been throught Corey Jacobsen's Elk101, read 4+ books on elk hunting, seen all of Randy's youtube series, listened to hundreds of hours of podcasts, and read every article I can find online. If anyone has any must see resources that are out there I would love to have more information. For backpacking and conditioning we stay in good shape year round but will ramp up our long hiking efforts this summer. We have a few Adirondack hiking trips planned to make sure we are used to some modest elevation and to hone our backpacking skills. As for "comfortable with griz" we certainly are not experienced which leads to some general unease, however we plan on taking as many precautions as possible to ensure that we are safe and can return home if we choose. Again we appreciate all the help and look forward to hearing more insight.
Ohio Deer.jpg

Have a nearby backup plan, it can rain continuously in the back country while barely settling the dust along the front. Flies can be a problem. Deer and horse flies can be miserable. They eat more hunters alive each year than the bears. I'm serious. Good luck. There is a resident herd there in the game range huntable along the front between Rose Creek and Home Gulch. If any elk will do expect for a branch bull, and you want action check out area 380 south of Helena.

Check out this link, it is the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Hunt Planner Map. You can choose a topographical or satellite view that will give you a better idea of the terrain and there are links to other information about the area. Also, check out Google Earth, there is a path tool that will show you distances and slopes, you'll find a lot of terrain with 30% to 60% slopes, that's from steep to 'you better have some mountain climbing skills steep'. I'd prepare with a lot of hiking up slopes with a pack on my back. My guess is that you will be moving along the creeks a lot so be aware that bears like to fish and eat the forage along waterways. Remember to think about how you're going to get your animal out if you take him. Lots of creeks and such so I'd recommend waterproof foot wear.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back