Montana Elk Hunting Video

Good to see some younger generation guys getting out there! May want to re-think your name though. There are some guys running by the name of Montana Wild, which your name sounds like a knock-off of theirs.

Buy a tripod, or monopod and learn how to use it.

Audio is equally important to video.

Only upload and promote HD video.

To be perfectly honest it was hard to watch.

You better have all the proper film permits for where you are filming. I have hours of video that are worthless because they aren't legal to share.

Keep at it.

MontanaGoneWild,i think its great seeing a young guy enjoying the outdoors. If you're really serious about filming, take dustins advice. I'm sure all of his points are meant to be constructive, he's not just hacking on you.Good luck young man!

I'm sure all of his points are meant to be constructive, he's not just hacking on you.

Thanks, I didn't get that point across.

Just to add, sharing your work is a big part of learning. I'm still struggling with many things production wise. I don't share much, but that is probably my biggest problem.

Put some up here dustin, i enjoyed your road trip production with the Mrs.

Trust me, I'm going broke trying to produce something worth watching. It's just not easy to do, without selling your soul to sponsors. Vimeo hits don't pay the bills(or buy permits from the Forest Service)...

One example of why it's a severe pain in the butt to do a "TV" show legally:

http://m.ravallirepublic.com/news/l...cle_3991dbd0-2766-11e0-bd26-001cc4c03286.html

PS.
The average broadcast TV episode costs $3 million to produce.

Vimeo hits don't pay the bills(or buy permits from the Forest Service)...

Neither do free products. Everyone is willing to let you wear or use their products for free but that doesn't pay the bills. Lots of people trying to start filming ventures get lured into this free gear stuff. Sure it's nice but you will eventually fold without money from sponsors

You better have all the proper film permits for where you are filming. I have hours of video that are worthless because they aren't legal to share

Dustinf- the problem isn't in the sharing. It's in trying to profit from filming that you run into legality issues.There's no laws that say you can't have a camera in the woods and share what you video with other for free.

Dustinf- the problem isn't in the sharing. It's in trying to profit from filming that you run into legality issues.There's no laws that say you can't have a camera in the woods and share what you video with other for free.

Your 100% correct. IF you don't intend to use the footage for profit. I'm not sure which side of the line I stand on, and I don't want it to bite me in the ass later.

Here is the Forest service's stance:

A special use permit is required for all commercial filming activities on National Forest System lands. Commercial filming is defined as the use of motion picture, videotaping, sound recording, other moving image or audio recording equipment on National Forest System lands that involves the advertisement of a product or service, the creation of a product for sale, or the use of actors, models, sets or props, but not activities associated with broadcasts for news programs. For purposes of this definition, creation of a product for sale includes but is not limited to a film, videotape, television broadcast or documentary of historic events, wildlife, natural events, features, subjects or participants in a sporting or recreation event and so forth, when created for the purpose of generating income.

Sorry this has gone slightly off topic, but i have a question in relation to filming.
The original poster is not sponsored (or at least not at the moment), so he produces a film for youtube, and is not seeking to gain financially, so all is fine and no laws broken.
But then he attracts sponsorhip and uses the products in all his films, would that then break any laws?
He wouldnt actually be seeking to gain financially directly, but he has gained indirectly with donated equipment?
I assume if he just wears it and doesn't verbally promote it then all is ok?
Cheers
Richard

Sorry this has gone slightly off topic, but i have a question in relation to filming.
The original poster is not sponsored (or at least not at the moment), so he produces a film for youtube, and is not seeking to gain financially, so all is fine and no laws broken.
But then he attracts sponsorhip and uses the products in all his films, would that then break any laws?
He wouldnt actually be seeking to gain financially directly, but he has gained indirectly with donated equipment?
I assume if he just wears it and doesn't verbally promote it then all is ok?
Cheers
Richard

To answer your question, I have no idea.

It just doesn't seem ethical to me to do it that way, and that's why I'm sitting on the footage. That doesn't mean it's illegal.

When I first saw this I thought great! MontanaWild posted some new stuff! Check out their vids when you get a chance, they're great.

Good job getting out and doing it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back