Montana draw

Let me guess….montana

Where biologists might as well learn how to say with flair “welcome to McDonald’s, how may I help you?”

I think the saying is “we are in the glory years”. Or that’s what I’ve heard a few times

Folks must realize, once the 454 tag trends are established, after a few years biologists will reckon with them - outright or in the gray areas of their consideration - by reducing the quota of tags available to the public to compensate for their effect.

How could they not?
As long as they are kept at 10% like they are now, I’d actually prefer that they came out of the quota rather than be in addition to it. The trend of adding permits here and there just keeps eroding the quality over time and it needs to stop.

Not everywhere. I have watched biologists speak up and make a difference in the last year.
True. Sadly, IMO those differences are winning small battles in the process of “losing the war”.

Hunters are more concerned about personally getting “their fair share” than they are concerned about a the resource.

This is epitomized in Director Worsech’s attitude that it’s more important to think about how someone might feel about missing out on an opportunity to draw a tag than to stick within the agreed upon parameters of harvest.

His attitude and FWP testimony often is that the resource can handle it. It’s obvious to me in this case the “resource” is first and foremost keeping people from being upset over not getting a “tag”.

True. Sadly, IMO those differences are winning small battles in the process of “losing the war”.

Hunters are more concerned about personally getting “their fair share” than they are concerned about a the resource.

This is epitomized in Director Worsech’s attitude that it’s more important to think about how someone might feel about missing out on an opportunity to draw a tag than to stick within the agreed upon parameters of harvest.

His attitude and FWP testimony often is that the resource can handle it. It’s obvious to me in this case the “resource” is first and foremost keeping people from being upset over not getting a “tag”.
As long as they are kept at 10% like they are now, I’d actually prefer that they came out of the quota rather than be in addition to it. The trend of adding permits here and there just keeps eroding the quality over time and it needs to stop.

I don’t disagree with either of you but what I am saying is.

1. Bios are still out there speaking up for you and I and the resource, pushing back, and making a difference. More in some places than in others. Wether they are simply winning battles in a losing war or not I believe they matter. I am all for winning the larger battle of Montana’s broken philosophy of management.

2. Bigsky is right that the 454s chipping away at the set quotas is probably the preferred way to incorporate them into management, but that is not how they were sold to us nor is it how most hunters think they will affect their opportunity. All I am saying is our opportunity is being dunked and dunked to death, and the 454s will be a part of that.

All I am saying is our opportunity is being dunked and dunked to death, and the 454s will be a part of that.
IMO, the opportunity MT hunters have been afforded has been put ahead of the resource. This has become MT tradition. No one has cut “opportunities” in MT since I have been alive. Shift the opportunities to different subsets of people, yes. This admin wants more opportunity for private folk and outfitters but no one is talking about cutting opportunity for the resource except a couple of the bios and it is very clear leadership cares less about the resource. I care about the resource and I say opportunities will have to be cut to save it. We are driving downhill very fast headed off a cliff

I guess I should check again and see if my application to Come Home to Hunt is still successful AND unsuccessful. Honestly, after the shitshow elk hunting outside Dillon last year I really don't care. SxS thoroughfares everywhere. Better chance of seeing an elk during the Indy 500. I'd just like to spend one more year hunting deer or elk with my brother. Or rather, going through the motions of hunting.

He'll almost certainly be done after this season so I'm working on a trip to shoot Patagonia stag in 2023. See some new country and get back into a real saddle. And NO SxSs! No draws and 90% success rate. Trophy fly fishing right outside the tent. I can pretend I'm back in Montana of the 70s. It will be fakey but can't be worse than what I've been experiencing.

Have any of the successful NR's received their tags yet? I was successful getting a NR BG combo but haven't seen anything show up in the mail.

I did mine as the etag and I haven’t seen anything pop up in the app, does anyone have experience with the etags? And app?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back