PEAX Equipment

Montana draw

I can remember tabor amending stuff right now saying first and only choice. 😂😂 and the other commissioners looking like wtf you talking about. Is this what happened. ?

Certainly is an expensive game to play for nonresidents and at the end of the day, tags will be sold out and November mule deer neck roasts will be ate. I’ll call it a win.

I drew a breaks rifle elk tag after several years of trying, but I would agree that Montana's system is the most complicated one out there, unnecessarily so it seems.

Arizona had a pretty big mess up recently. They said it was all okay but it took me 6 months to get my bonus points added back to my account.

I still don't know what my draw results mean (released? What does that mean?)

Bottom line, the confusion surrounding this system is unacceptable in today's world. 20 years ago with dial up internet, paper apps, and windows 98? Sure. Screw ups happen. Not today. I bet half of us have an app on our phone that was programmed by a 14 year old. Montana needs to take $500k and hire an IT firm to send 3 of their people to spend 4 weeks creating a system that is functional and makes sense. No more "retained" or "released" or unknowns. It should be a simple question to answer and display "did I draw or not?"

I still don't know what my draw results mean (released? What does that mean?)

Bottom line, the confusion surrounding this system is unacceptable in today's world. 20 years ago with dial up internet, paper apps, and windows 98? Sure. Screw ups happen. Not today. I bet half of us have an app on our phone that was programmed by a 14 year old. Montana needs to take $500k and hire an IT firm to send 3 of their people to spend 4 weeks creating a system that is functional and makes sense. No more "retained" or "released" or unknowns. It should be a simple question to answer and display "did I draw or not?"
It’s a stupid way to word it, and you should call them and ask. They get hundreds of calls about this, which they must enjoy, otherwise they would change the way they word it.

You drew.

What it means is, initially you did not draw, but then, you got a combo that was “released” by someone else who had initially drawn it, but then chose to have it automatically released upon not drawing a limited entry permit.

Some suggestions to lessen confusion for FWP might be “yes” in green “no” in red. “Drawn”. “Not drawn”.

Montana doesn’t need to send any of their people to training. They need to terminate or reassign them, and hire a competent outside third-party to run the entire thing. Kalkomy runs Nevada and Utah draws flawlessly and they would do the same in Montana.

It’s a stupid way to word it, and you should call them and ask. They get hundreds of calls about this, which they must enjoy, otherwise they would change the way they word it.

You drew.

What it means is, initially you did not draw, but then, you got a combo that was “released” by someone else who had initially drawn it, but then chose to have it automatically released upon not drawing a limited entry permit.

Some suggestions to lessen confusion for FWP might be “yes” in green “no” in red. “Drawn”. “Not drawn”.

Montana doesn’t need to send any of their people to training. They need to terminate or reassign them, and hire a competent outside third-party to run the entire thing. Kalkomy runs Nevada and Utah draws flawlessly and they would do the same in Montana.
By "their people" I mean the IT firm and definitely NOT whoever the goobers are that are doing it now for the FWP. haha

They need to terminate or reassign them, and hire a competent outside third-party to run the entire thing. Kalkomy runs Nevada and Utah draws flawlessly and they would do the same in Montana.
Definitely would help... also as far as Wildlife Compact violations, would make it way easier if states just used the same vendor to run draws and black list folks. Hopefully Aspira does that for the states.

Anyway, I think the real issue is how ridiculously complicated the MT system, even if you had a third party run the draw there rules are so dumb that it makes it really difficult to script. Comparing MT to WY or UT and then trying to think about the basic If, Then statements required I like... oh god...

At the very least this is what they should do...

Resident system the same

Non-Residents
Get rid of Big Game Combo, Deer Combo and Elk Combo only.
You apply for either a General License or a Limited Permit License.
Point systems are merged to become a 3 Preference then Bonus system. Everyone therefore keeps all there points. ( You accrue 3 preference points, which are used first in the draw, then you accrue bonus points)

This reduces the release/leftover holding license bull shit, it removes the double draw to get a permit, and it pulls the folks who only want to draw the "breaks tags" out of the general system.

In some units it probably makes it easier for outfitters, I'm sure there would be some limited units with lots of private that would take 1 pp to draw while the general tag might take 3 statewide.

Seems like MT is a text book example of people so concerned with how to screw over the other guy they don't stop to think about how a well organized transparent system would actually benefit them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked my Montana account and see that I was successful in my draw. At least that's what it says.

Back