PEAX Equipment

Montana deer questions

Need to add what you think he scores, to the question lineup. I'd guess him around 145-150.
Purposely left out the score question as I was curious about responses.

Hate it when someone has to tell me about their deer and when I ask how big, I get; decent, big, average, pig, #years old, #inches wide. WTF do those terms mean? 😡

I agree, I don't think he makes 150".

I took this picture last weekend in my back yard, so hopefully will see him again. That being said, Greenhorn could be out and about with his smoke pole. I am keeping an eye out for him, but now I don't know what he is driving.:unsure:

4point main frame. High rack, just barely beyond his ears. May worth taking on last day if nonresident or someone who wants a 4 point. I would pass as I have seen and have been fortunate to take better. Not a bad looking mulie tho’! It would be up to the hunter to decide. MTG

1. and 2. Ears wide 4 point with eyeguards.
3. and 4. I wouldn't be hunting mule deer in MT, because in MT he better be going home with me and that's not the kind of deer I'm interested in shooting. No shade to anyone who gets excited about him.

1. and 2. Ears wide 4 point with eyeguards.
3. and 4. I wouldn't be hunting mule deer in MT, because in MT he better be going home with me and that's not the kind of deer I'm interested in shooting. No shade to anyone who gets excited about him.
Unicorns exist. You got to believe!

Purposely left out the score question as I was curious about responses.

Hate it when someone has to tell me about their deer and when I ask how big, I get; decent, big, average, pig, #years old, #inches wide. WTF do those terms mean? 😡

I agree, I don't think he makes 150".

I took this picture last weekend in my back yard, so hopefully will see him again. That being said, Greenhorn could be out and about with his smoke pole. I am keeping an eye out for him, but now I don't know what he is driving.:unsure:
I don't get too excited about how other people explain the size of a deer. I had a friend that killed a handful of "really nice 2 pointers."

Also, not sure on score really mattering either, unless I knew the person judging it had decent experience. Its also way easier to judge an animal through a spotter than from a picture. Scale is hard in 2d. Its not a remarkable buck in anyway, IMO. While it may be really nice for some, we all hunt for our own reasons.

I'd bet 99% of influencers would make that buck movie star.

To me this is the mule deer equivalent to a 3 year old 4x4 whitetail. A lot of hunters nowadays would call it a trophy, or a huge buck. But in reality it's a young deer that needs to live 2 or 3 more years to reach that stage

But most hunters in Montana nowadays will shoot that deer every time because if they don't, someone else will, or because it's big to them and gets them excited, or they cant find anything else to shoot. Or all of the above.

1. I’d say I saw a nice up and comer 153”-incher, won’t ever be a giant but could be a nice upper 160s deer in his full potential.
  2. Call him a four point until I saw the eye guards, then skip the “4-pt with eye guards” and just call him a five point.
  3. No.
  4. If I had a lot of history with him and knew he was 6.5+ years old with poor genetics and it was late in the season, maybe, but he doesn’t scream more than 3.5-4.5 years old so that deer would walk and I’d hope to see what he does on winter/summer range the next year.

1. Decent little buck that looks young

2. 4x4 with eye guards

3. No

4. Have close to the same on wall, isn’t very exciting, have no desire to shoot another one in MT unless it’s 180 +. Likely won’t ever happen

Truthfully:

1 & 2: "A real pretty 5 x 5. Not huge, but nice."

3. Yes

4. I have not seen a mule deer buck that "nice" in the district in which I live ( and have really kind of quit hunting for MD), in at least 3 or 4 years. I like the way he looks, and could imagine seeing him in the timber west of my home, and being pretty excited with the crosshairs on his heart.
Yep. I’d shoot him. I also wish our management would change, but I really enjoy hunting, shooting an animal, packing it out, cutting up meat, and eating it.

I count eye guards on whitetail so I’d count that as a 5x5. I was also told when a mule deer has decent eye guards he’s usually a decent MD.
I’d tell my buddies I saw this nice mule deer buck in someone’s yard in Livingston 🤪

Yes, I’d probably shoot that one if I saw him. Best one I’ve seen all year.

Whoever said the “30 tall” thing, the pic I posted on that infamous thread was WAY bigger and still in velvet.

To me this is the mule deer equivalent to a 3 year old 4x4 whitetail. A lot of hunters nowadays would call it a trophy, or a huge buck. But in reality it's a young deer that needs to live 2 or 3 more years to reach that stage

But most hunters in Montana nowadays will shoot that deer every time because if they don't, someone else will, or because it's big to them and gets them excited, or they cant find anything else to shoot. Or all of the above.
I will stir the pot and say that buck won't get much bigger other than mass. Maybe 10-15pts in score. Not saying that isn't a lot and people wouldn't notice, but if I was placing a bet it would be on him never hitting 170.

I will stir the pot and say that buck won't get much bigger other than mass. Maybe 10-15pts in score. Not saying that isn't a lot and people wouldn't notice, but if I was placing a bet it would be on him never hitting 170.
You could be right. We'll never know because he will never live that long anyway. Maybe this is another reason why MT has no mature mule deer anymore, because everyone thinks they can tell based on visual evidence only or that they top out at 4 years old.

All this has been hammered for 90 pages on the other thread.

I don't think you're wrong. But he appears to have a frame that could really grow some mass and maybe some kickers.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back