Montana bulls?

Saw 14 bulls opening morning. Missed one right off the bat because I got in a hurry and didn't go through my proper technique so the arrow fell just short of a nice 5 point. Smallest in the group but my dumb a$$ was too excited to realize I could have gotten closer lol. Oh well lots of time left! Good luck every one and congrats to those who have already punched a tag

I was out bright and early, well not so bright, lots of fog and mist on Saturday in central montana. Not too much bugling at all. Lots of sign but no critters seen. I did draw blood that morning though- unfortunately it was on drive in. Suicidal deer out of the fog at 3am . Lucky just my fender was hurt. Next week I have high hopes though.

Was in the breaks for Sat and Sun. Very slow. heard 2 bulls Sat night never saw an elk on Sun. Came back home Sun. Went out local on Mon heard 3 bulls saw 4 and called in a small 5x4 to about 25 yards who was talking pretty good. Then it got windy Hitting it again in the am

I keep waiting for Matt (Elkdiesel) to do a quick write up but we certainly had a great opener. My son had a chance at a rag horn and froze up and we connected on this guy after slipping through a slew of cows and strong wind. Greenhorn isn't out yet so maybe he'll have something to show for his efforts.
Here's a teaser picture. Hopefully he gets on and posts the story behind the hunt.

View attachment 49055

That is a redonkulously nice bull.

Missed a 6x6 that jumped my string. Ended up with a spike bull. These elk always find a way to humble a guy.

I keep waiting for Matt (Elkdiesel) to do a quick write up but we certainly had a great opener. My son had a chance at a rag horn and froze up and we connected on this guy after slipping through a slew of cows and strong wind. Greenhorn isn't out yet so maybe he'll have something to show for his efforts.
Here's a teaser picture. Hopefully he gets on and posts the story behind the hunt.

View attachment 49055

Gorgeous bull! Congrats!

First post here. Been lurking for a couple weeks. Saw 7 bulls and 1 cow in 2 days in the Bozeman area. Couldn't get closer than 80 yards on them. No bugling yet. Helped a guy I met on the trail pack out a nice bull all day on Monday. Love the forum. Looking forward to adding some more posts in the future.

Good Warm Up for Sheep Hunt

Packed in for a couple days. Passed on a couple young bulls. Snow and rain was a big change from all the smoke.

DSC00760.jpg

DSC00763 (2).jpg

Biggest dead bull i've seen a picture of so far is from Colorado......................you MT sissy la la's need to step it up a bit. This is not a midget hand holding that girth!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 1,581
Dink
You know we can't tell size without a walmart smiley face gummy to scale off of. Pretty sure the guys hand holding that was on Lord of the Rings.

I did not kill said bull. Found pic of guy hold girth.

Attachments

• one-tiny-hand-kim-jong-il.jpg
    one-tiny-hand-kim-jong-il.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,344
I don't know about Colorado but this is how we grow them up here in Montana.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-09-18-07-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-09-18-07-29.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,373
I am by no means an elk guru like alot of you on here, but I suspect that the number of dead Montana elk pics will rise sharply over the next week or two.
Wish I could help contribute to that, but not this year!:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back