Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Montana BMA Mule Deer

802flyfish

This will be my first season hunting Mule deer in Montana. I've done plenty of research online and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask on here. I'm mostly looking to fill my freezer, but I would be excited to harvest a Buck. I'm located in SW Montana, however I'm thinking about heading to central or eastern MT to chase some Mule deer. Is BMA worth checking out? I've reached out to FWP and they informed me that they cannot recommend a particular BMA. With the over abundance of BMA in certain areas, it's a little overwhelming trying to narrow it down. Any tips or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

This will be my first season hunting Mule deer in Montana. I've done plenty of research online and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask on here. I'm mostly looking to fill my freezer, but I would be excited to harvest a Buck. I'm located in SW Montana, however I'm thinking about heading to central or eastern MT to chase some Mule deer. Is BMA worth checking out? I've reached out to FWP and they informed me that they cannot recommend a particular BMA. With the over abundance of BMA in certain areas, it's a little overwhelming trying to narrow it down. Any tips or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

I just left a 30+ year career at MFWP. I answered countless phone calls, including recommendations regarding "what's a good BMA"??. I surveyed about 100 mountain lakes and fielded countless questions about "which lake has....". Always answered to the best of my ability.
I never told a single person that I couldn't make, at the very least, a basic recommendation regarding any opportunity. Hunters and anglers paid my wages. I was supposed to know stuff......
If indeed you were told the above, I would call (or email) back that FWP representative and question why no recommendation could be made. And be very interested in the answer...............

Where are you at in SW Montana? Yes BMA, state chunks, blm all worth a look. if you are heading central or east make sure you glass as much as possible you should be able to find something that gets the heart going a bit.

Reactions: LCH
You should also be aware that if you were looking to get a reservation on a BMA they probably got filled back in August.

You should also be aware that if you were looking to get a reservation on a BMA they probably got filled back in August.

Yes, many do book up right away. But many do not. Mid September I booked two days on an R7 place for the antelope opener.
And many in R6 and R7 are type ones - no reservations required. Easy info to pass along to an inquirer.

@onpoint

FWP-

"The list of species in the Block Management guide is what the landowner has reported as being on their property. We do not make recommendations for which block management area a person may want to try hunting on."

I won't blast this person name on the internet, but its Region 5.

Last edited:
I'm located in the Big Sky area. I'm a little skeptical hunting solo in this region with all the bear activity. I know that's a lame excuse. I want to focus on the actual hunt and taking an ethical shot my first time around.

I'm located in the Big Sky area. I'm a little skeptical hunting solo in this region with all the bear activity. I know that's a lame excuse. I want to focus on the actual hunt and taking an ethical shot my first time around.

Nothing wrong with that and eastern MT is a fun place to hunt, so I hope you go & enjoy yourself. Hunting it supposed to be fun, not a status symbol.

Have you checked out the FWP hunt planner? It's a free service provided by FWP that helps people scout locations with specific layers like BMA's, public lands, etc. Check out the general area you are interested in and look for areas that are farther away from roads and will require a walk to get to the good habitat.

Another option is to subscribe to OnX Maps. Their app is great, and helps make scouting super easy. I think it's $40 for a year subscription and it's a really great service, and company. They're also a sponsor of the website & Randy's show.

I Have visted the Hunt planner and I did download OnX Maps. Just a little overwhelmed with the amount of public land & BMA. I guess I have to get my boots on the ground and do some exploring. Luckily, I get 4 days off at a time for work. Thinking about heading up towards Shawmut or Roundup for a few days and see what I can I find.

Thank you,

I Have visted the Hunt planner and I did download OnX Maps. Just a little overwhelmed with the amount of public land & BMA. I guess I have to get my boots on the ground and do some exploring. Luckily, I get 4 days off at a time for work. Thinking about heading up towards Shawmut or Roundup for a few days and see what I can I find.

Thank you,

It's a good plan. Pick an area and explore. Get out and walk. The size of the area can be overwhelming, but if you focus on one area and keep at it, and you keep walking, you should find some deer. Good luck!

If you get over to R7, let me know and I can give you some insight on a couple BMA’s we have had some success on. Some Type I and some Type II. Big country over there and as one rancher told me “they find dinosaur fossils because they got in here and couldn’t find their way out”...lol!!

Just a heads up, make sure your tag is good for the area your looking at. North of round up is a permit unit.

Back