Montana Backcountry Units 150 151 280 316 first timer

You will be dancing around Grizz in those units, no doubt. As others have said, try out some other units to start out, if you get 2 miles from any road you will be away from most hunters.

Getting as much meat as possible out of there is definitely a concern and the primary reason we started discussing pack animals last week. Two of us are 100 percent committed to hunting elk next fall. We have two kore guys that say they are going, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they back out. Two guys hauling meat sounds much worse than 4.

Do you have suggestions about finding/scheduling a reliable packer? Is it as easy as a google search and a phone call? Are they all pretty much the same, or is it easy for an out of state first time hunter to get fleeced by someone with less than ideal ethics?

If, after reading all of the advice on here, you are still determined to go into unit 150 and 151. I would pm Mountainguide. He knows who to contact for
help packing in and/or out.

If you're going into 316 for the rifle season, contact Warren Johnson from Hells-a-Roarin outfitters. He runs a backcountry camp up the Hellroaring drainage, about 16 miles in. He'll be able to accomodate guiding you, or if you're looking for just a packer you might be able to work something out with him as well. I wouldn't expect huge numbers of elk out of the park that time of year - if I remember right they got 3 or 4 bulls last year during the wilderness hunt. They're largely a migratory herd - any resident bulls in there will probably be known by the guides pre-season.

If, after reading all of the advice on here, you are still determined to go into unit 150 and 151. I would pm Mountainguide. He knows who to contact for
help packing in and/or out.

We are determined to go elk hunting. But we are open going other places that are better options for first timers.

IMO, people backpack, kayak, horse pack, backcountry ski, hunt frequently, speaking of the "Bob" and it's a bucket list of lifetime experience.

Grizzlies/wildlife, elevation, instant weather, fire/avalanche/high water, and terrain all play a factor in decisions made to take on an area where the reach of emergency response is a far greater stretch than elsewhere.

GPS units for navigation and emergency communication devices have revolutionized the ability to explore the mystique of areas such as, the "Bob". However, with that said, I believe these units have empowered people with a false belief in safe exploration of these areas. They do absolutely nothing of the sort. They are a *reactionary* means to seek emergency response. The accident has already occurred.

If you're physically fit, another +. I'm not peak fit, in fact I'm not near where I was though still enjoy the back country, solo or with other(s). If you're mentally comfortable with map/compass another +. Mental confidence/respect for the wilderness is more than physical ability. I've seen some belly tubs on horseback 20+ miles in that I'm confident would survive better than an arrogant over confident physically fit packer.

Paper / compass is always in my pack and now with technology, I also carry my InReach, phone for map location (pics & video fun) and a battery multi recharge unit.
Google resources have made instant education of trending knowledge for the western wilderness of interest.

What I'm getting at, IMO... If you're comfortable to safely multi day pack the Appalachian area, that's a good base to explore the western remote mountain ranges. I've hiked the AT a good stretch in my younger years, black bears, snakes - I hate snakes, rain, humidity, chiggers, ticks, etc... Fun as hell! One thing I would share as the significant difference, running into people. Western wilderness can be void of others, sometimes during the entire trek.

<Edited to avoid the whole non resident WY Wilderness issue>
I would also suggest Bridger-Teton Wilderness. IMO, I like that Wilderness over any I've experienced. Thorofare River has to be a top of the top adventures to fish, explore, etc!
**IF you have a "Resident companion" of Wyoming, I would say that area is the greatest wilderness to explore, fish and hunt.

A good Saturday morning long winded post. If you want to explore western wilderness and you're in possession of a sound mental outdoor appreciation to do all to best prepare... ***life is too short. Go for it.

Last edited:
^^A person can do all that without a $1200 NR MT elk tag, that they have a very slim chance of filling in the Bob. Good point though Sytes, that everyone should experience places like the Bob, Pintlars, Thorofare, Winds, etc. etc. etc. But if finding and killing an elk were my priority, I wouldn't suggest the Bob to anyone for that.

I just think Montana isn't being truthful with non-residents about what to expect as far as elk and deer hunting on public land goes. They bury the "statistics" and IMO/E, are grossly over-estimating hunter success to paint a rosy picture to peddle tags. I would go so far as to call it false advertising.

I'd suggest, if you are looking at 2019 elk, that you come out later this summer and just backpack in to your possible hunting area, preferably in a couple of units. Take a week and do one night in three different potential spots. It won't give you the full picture, but at least you will have a more realistic picture of what to expect. Steep on a satellite photo is nothing at all like STEEP standing at the base of the mountain. Carry bear spray and know how to use it, follow all the bear country guidelines, and have a good time. If you decide that it's just too much, you still have time to adjust your tag strategy.

The other thing to consider is just how rare rifle hunts in the rut really are. I've never tried to hunt the Wilderness areas early, but I suspect the outfitters and everyone who has horses and mules for rent are busy schlepping hunters in there. If you're on foot, you're going to be left behind.

There is a lot of competition for elk in the Bob. I haven’t done that hunt in about 10 years now. It was fun, but honestly I think you’ll have more fun bringing your bow and hunting other units. You can backpack into a lot of drainages and have them take yourself after 3-4 miles.

Experiencing the vastness of wildernesses is something everyone should do, but doing so while trying to find elk might take some enjoyment out of it.

I have hunted both 150 and 280. Both very awesome back country . Good boots will be a must. I wore my 400 grain Meindl boots both years. As far as new top of the line camo goes I don't think so. I know a good spot in 150 if you are not using horses, it will be about a 6 mile hike in. Most people use horses though. I used a garmin gps and also purchased a forestry map from Montana Fish and Wildlife. I'm in Ohio , are you as well?

It can be done, but that's tough going. Has been ten years or so since I was in those units last, on horse back, which makes a huge difference. The last trip I went in at Ovando and up the north fork of the black foot, over whiskey ridge and into a spur canyon in that country. We did pass 6 backpack hunters on the way in, they were right where the bridge crosses the river and basically becomes the wilderness right there. Not sure how they did, they were gone when we came out. There are elk, but you will work to find them, and then really work if you kill one. That access point was just changing hands on who outfits at that point in time, the long time outfitter had passed and his son had sold out, not sure who outfits it now, but they would be an option to pack game out, they ride right past that first 4 miles or so of wilderness on the way to their camp at the base of Dwight creek I believe it is called. Would guess they are 15 miles in or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back