Montana antelope

1whohunts

Just looking for input on the quality of big antelope. Is there a big difference in the quality in central montana vs eastern montana? Thank you for your inputs.

Eastern MT has shown low numbers in the past few years. I just recently drove along 212 between Billings and Alzada and numbers are definitely on the rise. I used to lose count and then after a few rough winters and die off it was easy to count on two hands. This last trip I was seeing decent numbers although not great. I was pleased with the number I did see as it looks like they are well on their way to recovery. As far as big bucks I can't say I seen anything draw dropping.

Can u be more specific ? Are you looking at public-land antelope solely ? Moisture or drought, winter-kill & hunter harvest are the three biggest factors that control antelope mortality. If u are looking at access to private land in any unit, that can be a big factor. If u have access to licenses in both eastern & central regions, then call the wardens, biologists in both areas ask them how the herd is doing. We've taken some respectable animals in units considered low trophy quality because we found areas "less traveled".

I am just wondering are there big antelope out east vs central montana. Or is there really no difference in size...trophy book antelope is what I would like to know with these two areas. I've seen the size in central but not eastern montana.

No difference that I've noticed. They key is they have to live long enough to get big. That's why they are saying if you have access to private land go there.

The B&C record book says there is a big difference. Rosebud and Garfield Counties are the highest rated counties in MT, if the record books are any indicator. Hardly any entries from the Central MT counties.

Randy, Please do a B&C trophy search on where the big goats have come from in the last 3 years. My guess is anywhere is as good or better as Rosebud or Garfield. Population in many places in eastern MT is 10% at best of what it's been historically - especially north of I-94. The reason that portion of MT has been a big goat producer is the sheer volume of antelope taken compared to other places in MT.

Randy, Please do a B&C trophy search on where the big goats have come from in the last 3 years. My guess is anywhere is as good or better as Rosebud or Garfield. Population in many places in eastern MT is 10% at best of what it's been historically - especially north of I-94. The reason that portion of MT has been a big goat producer is the sheer volume of antelope taken compared to other places in MT.

You are correct on that one. Those herds have taken a beating of epic proportions. Gonna be a while before those counties get back to where they were, if ever.

Leader in the years you mention is Choteau County. I think a couple Hunt Talkers have tags for that county.

That would be interesting to see for sure. I wonder about how many trophy antelope in MT or anywhere for that matter that never end up in the record books. I have seen some dandy bucks in Central MT taken and the horns got hung in the rafters of the garage and the meat to the freezer.

You are correct on that one. Those herds have taken a beating of epic proportions. Gonna be a while before those counties get back to where they were, if ever.

Leader in the years you mention is Choteau County. I think a couple Hunt Talkers have tags for that county.

Maybe :D

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back