Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana 411/20 Lk tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneakypete

I need to help guys, I thought I had a flight into the Dufree Hills but it may not work out. Anyone have any tips or suggestions on areas to hunt. I'm researching the RMEF access area to the Big Snowy mtns. I'm also looking into block mgnt areas. I plan on an archery hunt / scouting trip towards the end of Sept. Thanks in advance.

Yes, like I mentioned I may or may not have a flight in thru a friend with a plane. So my challenge is lining up other areas to access this hunt district. I'm also trying to locate maps for this county also. Thanks again for any help in advance.

Why don't you try to figure something out yourself?

So you poach a guy's spot that you saw on his TV show then come on his website asking for more help when that falls through?

Come on.

And BigFin, you reap what you sow. I wouldn't dream of putting my hunting spots on TV.

Would be interesting to know how many people will try to access that piece of property by air after seeing it done on the show.

I can just imagne all the phone calls to the local helicopter pilots after the show aired. Opening weekend there will be ultralights, helicopters, and planes all heading for that spot.

OP's name is fitting.

Last edited:
I don't want to speak for him but I think it is a very calculated decision to film and share hunting in the Durfee Hills. It's not about the Durfee Hills it's about the land we can't access and the need to change that.

Exactly , he's making a point with that show . The amount of public land in montana that we cannot access is ridiculous and Randy does a great job of pointing that out

I don't want to speak for him but I think it is a very calculated decision to film and share hunting in the Durfee Hills. It's not about the Durfee Hills it's about the land we can't access and the need to change that.

As long as that was the objective, then it was rightly Fin's decision (after all it is PUBLIC land) but I feel bad for the others who hunted it before the show and are not enjoying the publicity.

I just hope it was not a variation of naivety born out of an expectation that others would follow an ethical hunting code prohibiting piggybacking on the hard work of others.

Or worse yet, a sacrificial lamb in the name of marketing episodes.

Belly -deep, I am trying to figure it out on my own! I'm not asking or would poach someone's spot! All I'm looking for is a suggestion on an area to try. Like I said I plan on making an archery scouting trip, I have been in contact with the FWP biologist , block management .i know Randy does a great job and he is one of the men who have stepped up help keep this property public for everyone!

Belly -deep, I am trying to figure it out on my own! I'm not asking or would poach someone's spot!

Well, I guess in my book, you were already planning on poaching someone's spot when you started planning to fly in to the very spot the show was filmed at.

But I digress, because in a way, filming a show is akin to an open invite to everyone with cable TV, and Randy was either intentionally revealing the spot to the world or too dumb to see the inevitable. Since he's not only a CPA but a veteran of the sport, it seems the former rather than the latter.

Carry on and good luck.

Why don't you try to figure something out yourself?

So you poach a guy's spot that you saw on his TV show then come on his website asking for more help when that falls through?

Come on.

And BigFin, you reap what you sow. I wouldn't dream of putting my hunting spots on TV.

Ouch!!! Harsh.

I belive that for the public land, self guided hunter Big Fin's episodes ( all of them ) are meant to show you that these areas are here for all of us to use however we choose. And that we have to sometimes try harder or think outside the box to get to where we want to hunt. More than one person has had the idea to hunt the Durfee Hills by air since that's the only way to get there and this is not an original idea.
Instead of telling you how terrible you are sneakypete, I will try to help, does this area include the new RMEF acquisition? I think its red something? its a small 20 acre parcel that allows access to public lands, but im not exactly sure where, Where is this district located or what does it take in rather

As long as that was the objective, then it was rightly Fin's decision (after all it is PUBLIC land) but I feel bad for the others who hunted it before the show and are not enjoying the publicity.

I just hope it was not a variation of naivety born out of an expectation that others would follow an ethical hunting code prohibiting piggybacking on the hard work of others.

Or worse yet, a sacrificial lamb in the name of marketing episodes.

;)...

Ouch!!! Harsh.

I belive that for the public land, self guided hunter Big Fin's episodes ( all of them ) are meant to show you that these areas are here for all of us to use however we choose. And that we have to sometimes try harder or think outside the box to get to where we want to hunt.

Yes, I agree. But are they also meant to show thousands of viewers precisely where to plan their next elk hunt? Because that is result, whether it was meant or not. As I indicated, were this my spot, I'd be pissed...

Belly-deep, for your information I knew nothing about Randy's hunt! I found out about the Dufree Hills STATE parcel thru the area biologist ! You see some of us are trying to do it RIGHT! I would never infringe on someone's hunting or fishing SPOT! Enough said!

Belly-deep, for your information I knew nothing about Randy's hunt! I found out about the Dufree Hills STATE parcel thru the area biologist ! You see some of us are trying to do it RIGHT! I would never infringe on someone's hunting or fishing SPOT! Enough said!

As I said, carry on and good luck.

MTpubliclander, yes the RMEF easement to the Big Snownys, hunt district is south of Lewistown. Wednesday I'll be calling block management for region 4, I got some more suggestions from the area biologist. The problem with this hunt district most of it is private, or limited entry areas to access forest service land. Thanks for any pointers. Like I've said earlier I'm not looking to hunt someone else's spot or honey hole, I just want to go elk hunting on my own .

I get a little tired of the 'my hunting spot' mentality. Yeah, I've got some spots - and I've shared that knowledge with folks. I really enjoy the process of finding areas that hold animals consistently - and I'm always looking for new ones. It's a bit boring to go to the same spot every year and hunt it the same way.

But I think that the bigger picture is that hunters need to bring more folks into our fraternity - and to do so one of the things we need is access to public lands. Randy does a superb job in bringing Access issues to the fore-front (on and off the TV show).

Landlocked public land is a big issue. I think that the focus of that episode should be that Randy hunted there because he can as a public hunter. There are thousands of other acres that are landlocked - and you can't fly in. How is the public going to know it's an issue if we don't bring it to the forefront?

Randy has 'outed' 2 of my hunting spots. That's OK with me - if someone else wants to do the work to get there - by all means have at it.

Montana's a big state - there are lots of places that hold big bulls.

MTpubliclander, yes the RMEF easement to the Big Snownys, hunt district is south of Lewistown. Wednesday I'll be calling block management for region 4, I got some more suggestions from the area biologist. The problem with this hunt district most of it is private, or limited entry areas to access forest service land. Thanks for any pointers. Like I've said earlier I'm not looking to hunt someone else's spot or honey hole, I just want to go elk hunting on my own .

Maybe hit up Sweet nectar for permission on their ranch next door. The unit as a whole holds a ton of elk. The Durfees is not all that it is cracked up to be. Success rate with archery is about 10% in there.

I get a little tired of the 'my hunting spot' mentality. Yeah, I've got some spots - and I've shared that knowledge with folks. I really enjoy the process of finding areas that hold animals consistently - and I'm always looking for new ones. It's a bit boring to go to the same spot every year and hunt it the same way.

But I think that the bigger picture is that hunters need to bring more folks into our fraternity - and to do so one of the things we need is access to public lands. Randy does a superb job in bringing Access issues to the fore-front (on and off the TV show).

Landlocked public land is a big issue. I think that the focus of that episode should be that Randy hunted there because he can as a public hunter. There are thousands of other acres that are landlocked - and you can't fly in. How is the public going to know it's an issue if we don't bring it to the forefront?

Randy has 'outed' 2 of my hunting spots. That's OK with me - if someone else wants to do the work to get there - by all means have at it.

Montana's a big state - there are lots of places that hold big bulls.

I might just make myself a lepper here but I agree 100%! I joined here not knowing that there was a TV personality attached to the site. I have never seen the show as I do not have cable. I too have tried to help others who have tags where I have hunted and have had a couple of guys provide information on areas I am not familiar with.
My first thought when I read Belly-Deep jam this guy about poaching a spot was that he was trying to endeer himself to someone in hopes of getting on TV. Don't know either one of them but thought it was pretty lame jumping to conlucions about why someone was asking a question.
As outdoorsman and hunters it is our responsibility to share the gained knowlege with anyone who is willing to learn. If this knowlege had not been passed by our fathers and grandfathers how would we have learned what we know now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back