Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MONTAN DEER hunt 2015

brownbear932008

Okay I am going to attempt to post my Montana trip from last fall in the crazies. We where able to hunt a private ranch last year that we got access to and we just saw tons of deer on the place. Going t o attempt a pic first.12194738_10205029848851834_9107199012543477378_o.jpg

This was our morning view from the ranch cabin each day pic says it all.

Nice view. Would you say seeing lots of deer was a key aspect of you happiness with the hunt? Did you see what you would term a shooter buck? If you had not filled your tag, would you still feel was a nice hunt?

I ask because I love pronghorn hunting. I always see bucks. Usually see one or more shooters of every 10 bucks I encounter even if I am holding out to see what else might find later the same hunt. Other people would find a hunt more enjoyable if only saw one buck but was the biggest buck of their life.

No right answer obviously. Your comment about seeing lots of deer made me smile. Good luck on your hunts this fall.

On opening morning me and my hunting buddy had two deer tags and one cow tag to fill for the week. Our plan was to deer hunt first knock down our bucks and then cow hunt. We went to the lower end of the place to chase deer. My buddy won the shooter flip for deer that morning. We left the rig at day break and didn't walk 300 yards just gaining some elevation to glass off a high butte. We both looked across the ravine and there was two large cows standing on the ridge looking at us. I told my buddy I didn't want to shoot yet and chase deer. Then he brought the idea up that we were at the rig and would only pack 100 yards. Those words changed my mind quickly. I settled in and the 7mm stw did it's work at 302 yards. The cow folded at the shot. I went to roll her to the creek while my buddy chased deer the rest of the morning. He saw several but no shooters for first morning.12183925_10205029849771857_1802425985143773076_o.jpg

Last edited:
The first evening no shooters were seen but we where both seeing tons of deer several nice 4x4s. We saw about 50-75 deer each day on the ranch. Day two found me hunting low in the open country and my partner heading higher into the mountains to hunt. I saw several deer and so did he. I saw two bucks both very tempting but held off the trigger my buddy saw one shooter that gave him the slip in the mountains. We ran out after the morning hunt to drop the elk for processing.
Day three started with the same plan as day two. We both glassed all morning from high points on the ranch and saw many deer we where starting to see several of the same bucks we had already seen. About 10 am I finally spotted a shooter that was up and moving looking for a bed about two miles away. I watched the deer work up a large flat into a draw where he disappeared finally. I thought he would bed somewhere in that area or totally walk off the ranch if he stayed on his feet. I went back to meet my buddy as planned at 1 at the cabin to make evening hunt plans. I already had mine in place though it appeared.

On opening morning me and my hunting buddy had two deer tags and one cow tag to fill for the week. Our plan was to deer hunt first knock down our bucks and then cow hunt. We went to the lower end of the place to chase deer. My buddy won the shooter flip for deer that morning. We left the rig at day break and didn't walk 300 yards just gaining some elevation to glass off a high butte. We both looked across the ravine and there was two large cows standing on the ridge looking at us. I told my buddy I didn't want to shoot yet and chase deer. Then he brought the idea up that we were at the rig and would only pack 100 yards. Those words changed my mind quickly. I settled in and the 7mm stw did it's work at 302 yards. The cow folded at the shot. I went to roll her to the creek while my buddy chased deer the rest of the morning. He saw several but no shooters for first morning.View attachment 57306

I'll be 'that guy'... opening morning was on the 24th last year...

Nice view. Would you say seeing lots of deer was a key aspect of you happiness with the hunt? Did you see what you would term a shooter buck? If you had not filled your tag, would you still feel was a nice hunt?

I ask because I love pronghorn hunting. I always see bucks. Usually see one or more shooters of every 10 bucks I encounter even if I am holding out to see what else might find later the same hunt. Other people would find a hunt more enjoyable if only saw one buck but was the biggest buck of their life.

No right answer obviously. Your comment about seeing lots of deer made me smile. Good luck on your hunts this fall.

I do enjoy seeing lots of game lopehunter. I enjoy picking through them and after a few days trying to get on the best animal my area holds planning the taking of that animal. Just makes it tough mentality with no game in sight day in and day out 3-4 days of that is tough. But either way I enjoy being out hunting. I love to glass open country seeing one deer then picking out other's hiding around.

My buddy finally showed up at the cabin about thirty minutes after our scheduled meet. He walked farther than he thought I saw him coming outta the hills a mile from the cabin and jumped into he rig to tell him the good news and meet him with a cold beer. He was a happy guy with that cold beer. We grabbed a quick bite and I had him kick me outta the rig at my planned drop off point. I had a plan off making about a two mile circle to get a better view of the draw and also glass another group of six bucks that had one or two nice deer in them. I made it to the first bucks and passed on a really nice buck in that group knowing one much bigger was in the area. I began to work my way across the ridge for a few miles looking for the bedded buck I had seen that morning. I was almost thinking he walked outta the country when I finally saw him bedded in a wide open flat on the highest point on that end of the ranch. I knew the stalk would be tough because of his bedding spot.
The plan was to back off the ridge. Make another circle and some in to the left side of the buck hopefully bringing me within shooting range in the wide open country.

Last edited:
I began the stalk making a wide circle to a power pole I had marked as my final stalking point. After making it to that point I thought I had another 300-500 yards of crawling to get a good shot off at the buck. After crawling for a while I finally saw antler tips over the short grass. Not even close to within range this was becoming the stalk dreams are made off this old boy was making me work for it and I loved it. I backed out once more side hilling and belly crawling upon a nice shed antler first time I've done that. This time when I saw antlers they were within range. The buck was bedded facing straight at me. The last 50 yards were very slow and the grass was only about 12 inches high. I had one taller clump I tucked in behind to use. I finally was at my shooting spot 200 yards away looking at the bedded buck. All I could see was his neck and head and maybe a little chest. I could not tell if his body was bedded broadside or straight away at this point. I thought straight away. By this time it was 430pm. I sit on the buck waiting for him to stand for almost two hours he finally decided to stand at last shooting light. The shot went off without a hitch and folded the buck in his tracks and the hunt was over. My neck was sore from glassing the buck at an awkward angle for two hours. But the day ended as planned with a very nice Montana mulie.

Last edited:
I'll be 'that guy'... opening morning was on the 24th last year...

That's funny your right and my buddy needs to fix his date it appears on his cam. I and at least 7 others can attest it was on the 24th we are not "those guys" trust me on that.

Nice thread brownbear...glad you had a good hunt. Looks like you guys filled the freezer & snagged some wall decor....congrats & thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back