Monster Pike what's Your Favorite Lure ?

I also like Daredevil Red & White but I also change out the treble hook to a single hook makes it more weed less and I have also use saltwater fly that is a large single hook with white feather and put it on Daredevil only thing is you some times you have to trim feather down if to long it takes action out of the Daredevil.

I'm a big fan of Believer's. These 2 are are at least 45 years old. Caught a lot of pike and muskies with these. Both have been broke off multiple times and found once they float back up. Awesome action and you can use them deep or shallow. I have a assortment of sizes that look a lot cleaner then these.

Definitely my go to, but will throw daredevils and silver spoons with pork rinds a lot also.

Attachments

• 20200602_084407.jpg
    20200602_084407.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 13
I think for that pike, it was just about trout. Looks like he's got about 30 of them in his belly! :LOL: That's a hog!
Actually those are two pike!

Damn, illegal transplant via some idiots bucket biology.....Fishing a lake in NW MT and these things kept eating our hooked fish. I don't know how many spinners and spoons that I lost trying to actually land one of these, no steel leaders or line rated over 8lbs. I had four spinner baits and got lucky in landing these two before I was totally out of any pike rated hardware. Have not been back to that lake since but now have two pike hanging on the wall to bring back those memories.

Pike in MT = Alligators of the West... Haha!

full

Any suggestions for weedless? We found a spot loaded with pike but it is shallow and the weeds are at the surface.

Any suggestions for weedless? We found a spot loaded with pike but it is shallow and the weeds are at the surface.

Northland Jaw breaker spoon. A wire or at least heavy braid leader is strongly suggested. I usually tie on a leader of 80lb power pro but you have to check it after each fish. You can use a frog but pike trash them quick. A weed less swim jig with twister tail is also good but if it's scummy water it will catch the weeds. I always keep some weedless spoons for when we come across pike in the same situation you're talking about while bass fishing.

1591367866795.png1591367866795.png

On 3 different occasions while trout fishing I have hooked into decent sized pike. Twice on the Yampa River near Steamboat Springs, CO and then it happened again this last weekend on a small stream near Fish Lake, UT. I was trout fishing using 2 lb. test and a small trout jig when "BOOM", I hooked into a nice 30" ish (gets bigger by the day) pike. I have a great video of it, but I have yet to land one of these beauties... they always seem to get away.

Silver and gold Williams wobler. I'm not sure why I even have other lures in my tackle box anymore. Its basically all I use. Pike can't resist them.

Attachments

• 20190814_200929.jpg
    20190814_200929.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
daredevil, 5 of diamonds, big mepps spinners but my all time favorite is the mepps syclops. They have a unique motion that drive pike crazy. The large ones are hard to find I order them online. I wish they made them in a larger size.

Here's our family secret going back decades: The gold 5/8 ounce Thomas Buoyant is the most deadly lure known to pike. I've taken numerous trips to canada and not gotten another lure wet over the course of the week as there was no need.

I caught my biggest pike, 46”, on a 3/8 oz fireball lead head with a 3” paddle tail minnow jigging for walleye on lake of the woods. I caught 7 pike in 7 casts on a Johnson silver minnow on a tributary To the koyokuk River in nw Alaska. All of those were 30-35” but were really good grilled over a fire after eating freeze dried meals for a few days.
I tried some pike fishing while up there on the Koy and didn't do any good. I heard it was excellent fishing.

I tried some pike fishing while up there on the Koy and didn't do any good. I heard it was excellent fishing.
The river was very high and dirty when we were there. That hurt the moose hunting because they could not get down to the river. But, if we found a feeder creek with clean water or went back into the swamps and cast next to beaver lodges you would catch a pike every cast until you didn’t want to. I am ready to go back and focus more on pike.

We grew up fishing small rivers in Minnesota, we used the lures my great grandfather and grandfather used; silver spoons, nothing special. It worked great, but you ended up losing a ton of lures to snags.

We (my dad, brother and myself) started down the path of trying to find lures that would be less likely to snag, still easy to cast. This is in the mid eighties, so research generally consisted of whatever was in the local sporting goods store.

For quite a while we were using large white jig heads with the hooks buried in a rubber fake frog. This kept the snags at bay, but the rubber frogs were shredded by the pike’s teeth, so while we were catching fish, we still went through a ton of lures.

Then we found the spinnerbait, typical in bass boats in the south, these mimicked the action of a frog near the banks, or a wounded fish in the middle of the river, who knows?

We started building our own, trying different sizes, colors, and styles, but mostly used white medium sized spinnerbaits with double mister twister tails or the standard skirt style of a bass lure. It worked for us in the small rivers in MN, we sure thought we had it nailed at the time, not only pike, but walleye, smallmouth, catfish, goldeye, and sauger, all on bass lures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back