Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Monster Pike what's Your Favorite Lure ?

Take the treble off the bottom of the pike...

Along with the nice silver spoon action, these two kick ass!

Various inline muskie sized bucktails. I do use a few muskie sized crankbaits as well. I love big pike fishing. We have done pretty well in Manitoba and Ontario in Canada and Minnesota close to home. Lots of pike 36" to 45". My daughter had her first nice sized one, a 39", hit right at boat side and scared the bejesus out of her. She was instantly hooked and now loves fishing for them as well.

Gord Pyzer’s modified Williams Whitefish:

Any musky bait. Casting for muskies and the big pike always come. Had some monsters on bulldogs, big top waters and the big cow girl spinner baits.

My brother was trying to tell me buzzbaits were the end-all for pike. I disagreed and told him I had the new secret lure. We were fishing the same lake on kayaks, on the same day. Pulled out a red/white daredevil. Schooled him that day and a couple more times since. He still likes fishing buzzbaits but he seems to throw spoons lately too. To date, he has never outfished me when I’m using the old red/white favorite. May be purely coincidental but I haven’t ever been disappointed.

Rapala husky jerks #14 , bright on cloudy days. Neutral and natural on bright days!

I caught my biggest pike, 46”, on a 3/8 oz fireball lead head with a 3” paddle tail minnow jigging for walleye on lake of the woods. I caught 7 pike in 7 casts on a Johnson silver minnow on a tributary To the koyokuk River in nw Alaska. All of those were 30-35” but were really good grilled over a fire after eating freeze dried meals for a few days.

Back