MOGA - FWP "public" meeting?

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
So this morning, through channels in Helena FWP, I find out that the Assistant Director of FWP has directed most of his senior staff to attend a two-day meeting that includes the FWP Assistant Director and the Montana Outfiitters and Guides Association, for which no public notice was given, no information was provided, no announcement or invitation to other vested parties, or anything that complies with the "Open Meeting" statutes of Montana.

The FWP Assistant Director has called every one of his seven Regional Directors to Helena for this two-day meeting with Montana Guides and Outfitters Association. It starts today and continues to tomorrow.

Wonder why a public meeting with MOGA needs to be kept so quiet?

Wonder why we hunters need to pay to have all seven Regional Directors spend two days in travel/meetings with only MOGA folks invited?

Wonder why none of the hunting groups who represent some of the 200,000 resident hunters can't even get a return phone call from the Director or Assistant Director, let alone a two-day "quasi private" meeting that includes the seven Regional Directors from across the state, yet MOGA and their 200+/- members can get a meeting for two days?

Anyone know anything more about this? If you have details, post them up here.

Any of you know what this is all about and why the FWP attendees were told to keep this meeting a secret?

It is a shame to see so many good FWP working in the field on behalf of hunters being lead by a small cadre of politically appointed leaders in Helena; leadership mostly new to FWP; in some cases, new to Montana; and whose actions give hunters and anglers reason to wonder of personal political ambitions some of these leaders may have.

MOGA is surely a group FWP should be talking to, but when all Regional Directors are required to be there, for two days, and none of the hunting community is invited, it smells bad. In fact, I think it stinks.

Maybe nothing is "afoul," but to hold these kind of meetings in such a secretive manner, to ask so much of the FWP management staff to be there, and to keep it to such a small constituent group, raises a lot of eyebrows. Secrecy fosters suspicion, whether valid or not. Any leader of a state agency should know that such secrecy is not good for the "open and full disclosure" requirements imposed on those acting as fiduciaries of the public interest.

Since this is technically a publc meeting under Montana law, even if not announced as such, I would hope none of the attendees are silenced as to what is discussed. Hopefully some questions are answered when the FWP brass wraps up their little Kumbayah session with MOGA.

I will be watching this post intently! Thanks as always for the heads up and keeping us posted on all topics hunting.

I have a feeling where this is headed, but will promise to keep my mouth shut for a few days. I wonder if the representatives of the 200,000 resident sportsman accross the state of Montana could get the attention that MOGA gets? All 240 of them.

Joe Maurier will likely go down as the worst director in FWP's history. Cronyism at it's finest.

One of you guys needs to go crash the party! Walk in and announce , sorry i'm late, what did i miss? someone care to catch me up?

As one who worked for FWP for almost 14 years under a procession of aging ex-hippy directors and deputy directors, this doesn't surprise me one bit. I'll let it go at that, but I could tell you stories all day long...

In 2 days you could fly to Columbia, Hook up, cause an international scandal and still have time to consummate dozens of underhanded ,backdoor,crappy for the outdoorsman deals!!

Schweitzer really gave sportsmen the shaft when he fired Hagener. He was an outstanding director.

What hunting group represents the 200,000 Montana Sportsmen/women? The MWF? MSA? These guys only represent a very small minority of Montana Sportsmen/women! They certainly don’t represent my interest or anyone I know. These groups are destroying our hunting!

Threw in an extra year just so I could help screw things up for billy banger.

MSA, is one of the groups that are battling this thing from the political angle. We've been fairly successful,(so far) and many politicians have taken notice of our presence.

The kicker, is money. If every sportsman donated a $1 to us we would have enough money to scare the holy crap out of these people. Things would get done in a big way for OYO hunters. We would be able to have the infamous "Come to Jesus" talk that many of these guys deserve.

Sadly, without money, we aren't going to have much impact. The coffers are getting mighty low, and without the support from the average Joe, we're going to be just a blip on the radar.

If by chance you can muster some bucks, here's the address for MSA PAC.

MSA PAC
P.O. Box 1324
Hamilton, MT

I need your occupation, and employer for reporting purposes.

Hey, BANGER, the question is: What hunting group represents the 200,000 Montana Sportsmen/women better than MWF and MSA?

Those two organizations have done more during the past legislative sessions and recently during the campaign for upcoming legislative seats than any other organization. Whether or not sportsmen/women support MWF or MSA they are still working on behalf of hunting, angling, and wildlife and so far have been extremely effective.

As Drahthaar suggested, ridiculous statements beg for explanation ("These groups are destroying our hunting!") ... or the "banger" who throws the bomb appears to be just another inept, wannabe terrorist.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back