Caribou Gear Tarp

Model 70 .223 build

One of the best things i did with an old Savage 110 was agree to let the ex-wife refinish the stock. (We were still married then, obviously)

It was amazing to see the actual grain in the wood come out from under the brown paint they use for stain!!!

These threads make me wonder, anybody ever mess with the factory 700 bdl/cdl stocks that have the shiny lacquered finish??

While it would be hard to buy an expensive rifle and immediately send it off, one of our friend's daughters just got a Weatherby Camilla with drop-dead gorgeous wood. Yet they persist it putting that shiny plastic finish on it.

1703252586478.png

P_ham you do impressive work. I can see the time and effort to make it perfect, or at least as darn near perfect as it can get. I would not have any qualms about sending a rifle to you for a little love. I know it's hard to find a GOOD gunsmith! Your work looks just the same as if that rifle was yours you were working on.
David

Last edited:
David, he just refurbished my Grandpas 1920 vintage Mdl 12. I gave it to my son at Christmas, I couldn’t be happier with the work. Being a south paw Im waiting for him to announce he’s taking on stock bending for shotguns. I love side by sides but most have cast off for right handed shooters. I of course need cast on. 3/16 to 1/4 inch would do. I got a couple of guns I will send him if he starts doing that.
In the interim I‘m thinking of upgrading the wood on a couple of my number 1. My 257 roberts is wonderfully accurate but its stock is so plain Jane it’s ugly.

Attachments

• IMG_7872.jpeg
    IMG_7872.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 36
These threads make me wonder, anybody ever mess with the factory 700 bdl/cdl stocks that have the shiny lacquered finish??
Yes. Some of them are very nice.

While it would be hard to buy an expensive rifle and immediately send it off, one of our friend's daughters just got a Weatherby Camilla with drop-dead gorgeous wood. Yet they persist it putting that shiny plastic finish on it.

View attachment 307270
Weatherby goes crazy on the high gloss stuff sometimes.

Any new update pics?
We're getting close on the stock. I'll have to see if I've taken any of the new barrel work.

P_ham you do impressive work. I can see the time and effort to make it perfect, or at least as darn near perfect as it can get. I would not have any qualms about sending a rifle to you for a little love. I know it's hard to find a GOOD gunsmith! Your work looks just the same as if that rifle was yours you were working on.
David
Thank you. I try to put out the best I can. Not to say I'm infallible.

David, he just refurbished my Grandpas 1920 vintage Mdl 12. I gave it to my son at Christmas, I couldn’t be happier with the work. Being a south paw Im waiting for him to announce he’s taking on stock bending for shotguns. I love side by sides but most have cast off for right handed shooters. I of course need cast on. 3/16 to 1/4 inch would do. I got a couple of guns I will send him if he starts doing that.
In the interim I‘m thinking of upgrading the wood on a couple of my number 1. My 257 roberts is wonderfully accurate but its stock is so plain Jane it’s ugly.
Thanks Don. I like doing the restoration work. The heavy duty shotgun fitting is for the birds though!
PS- I might have a factory take-off walnut stock set for the No.1 soon. It's got handsome wood on it, hiding under poly.

Great work! I looked for a Model 70 223 forever and finally gave up and bought a Kimber Super America 223. Would definitely rather have this one!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back