Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Model 70 Build or New

MTorWY

I have the opportunity to get a used Winchester Model 70 in Classic Stainless for about $500. The existing stock is beat up and plastic anyway so probably would end up replacing that. Action and barrel appear to be in good condition.

Does anyone have any experience doing something like this, or would I be better off getting a new Model 70 extreme weather for $1200?

Seems like a good opportunity to build up a rifle for the price.

If it were me, I would put the difference in money toward a new stock and optics, especially since it is already stainless. I have not ever done any sort of "building", so my opinion is based solely on budget considerations.

I am midway through this very process. I'm playing with a $500 classic Stainless in 7mm RM which I will convert to a .358 Norma Mag. My caveat is that if it is a caliber you are not interested in having, don't shoot it! I never really was that interested in 7mm as a caliber. I shot this rifle and it shoots lights out with 150grn Federal blue box.

BTW- I am huge fan of Hogue overmold stocks.

I took an elk with it this season and I've been carrying it for whitetails.

There is a real risk I am becoming too attached to this rifle to re barrel it.

I am midway through this very process. I'm playing with a $500 classic Stainless in 7mm RM which I will convert to a .358 Norma Mag. My caveat is that if it is a caliber you are not interested in having, don't shoot it! I never really was that interested in 7mm as a caliber. I shot this rifle and it shoots lights out with 150grn Federal blue box.

BTW- I am huge fan of Hogue overmold stocks.

I took an elk with it this season and I've been carrying it for whitetails.

There is a real risk I am becoming too attached to this rifle to re barrel it.
The good news is it’s in .270 Win and I was already looking for a new .270. So I’m hoping this will turn into my new do-everything rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back