Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Missouri Breaks Ewe

Schaaf

This all started last April, I had decided that I had wanted to hunt Bighorn Sheep so bad and with the current set up of Montana's drawing system and the problems on the Rocky Mountain front, the only way I could realistically make that happen sooner rather than later was by putting in for a Ewe tag. I was lucky enough to draw the tag on my first chance. After spending the first week of the season bow hunting for Elk I turned my attention to sheep.

I had yet to get a big game animal with my bow and had made the decision to give them hell with my bow but if I was unable to seal the deal I still had a a couple days off for the beginning of rifle season.

Saturday was the first day I was able to hunt sheep. We left the pickup at 8 that morning and after watching some deer and young elk we had yet to see any sheep. At about 3 that afternoon we were finally able to get on some sheep about 4 miles from the trailhead.

The sheep were bedded on top of a flat that broke riff into sandstone cliffs. After watching 3 ewes and 2 lambs head down the steep side the other 2 ewes and 1 lamb bedded down in a shallow finger drainage a little closer to us. We were lucky enough to have the wind in our favor but had a deep draw to cross full of dry deadfall timber.
I rose up over a shallow ridge overlooking the finger drainage and immediately noticed the sheep bedded. In an instant I had to decide between the bigger ewe who had a lamb or the smaller ewe with no lamb following her. I believe I made the most ethical decision possible in choosing the younger ewe. The ewe was bedded quartering away and while I was drawing back she stood and turned broadside giving me a clear shot at 29 yards.

All in all it was a very simple hunt but it is not surprising in the least bit why people love hunting sheep. The terrain they call home and are able to move effortlessly around is truly remarkable. We were able to pack her out between the two of us and many thanks to Zack from Montana Wild for a little extra water on the pack out. You guys have a good thing going and it was a pleasure meeting you.

That's cool. I shot an ewe up on the Front a few years ago just for the experience and to eat some tasty sheep meat. It was incredible. Enjoy some of the best eating there is. Thanks for sharing your story.

Congrats on the successful sheep hunt Schaaf. You are right, amazing country.

Not many people have got a sheep with their bow. Nice job and I agree that you made the ethical shot with your choice of ewes.

First bow kill is a bighorn sheep? That's awesome man, congrats. How you gonna cook it up?

Sheep are an amazing animal to hunt, and even more rewarding with a bow. Great Job and Congratulations!!.

First bow kill is a bighorn sheep? That's awesome man, congrats. How you gonna cook it up?

Thanks everyone, it was a short lived but probably my most memorable hunt to date. As for the meat I still haven't decided on how to butcher her up. I've heard nothing but good things about ewe meat. I'm open to any suggestions from people who have had bighorn meat before.

Congrats. I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Draw a ewe tag and then just buy raffle tags for MT sheep instead of applying in the draw.

I killed a ewe in the breaks a few years ago. Awesome eating animal. But you have to be sure to remove ALL of the fat as it can be very rancid. The backstraps were very tender and great flavor. I did all roasts, stew meat, and steaks with mine. Burger is good if you are absolutely sure to remove all of the fat. I ruined a pan of lasagna once with a rancid flavor from my wife's sheep that we didn't trim all of the fat as well as we should have when we made burger. You won't be disappointed with your sheep for eating quality. Congrats on a great hunt.

My brother shot one a few years back. Meat was decent as I recall. Similar to a whitetail.

Back