Missouri Breaks (410) Elk Hunting - 2017

duker21

Hello everyone,

I was lucky enough to get drawn for a 410 (rifle) tag this year and even though I have hunted the area for a few years (as a spotter and pack mule), I have a much better reason to focus on details for this season! I have been reviewing the forums on this topic for a while now and was hoping to pose some questions I haven't seen answered just yet and receive some recommendations:

1. Is there a specific GPS map system that does a better job than onX Hunt Maps for the phone to identify land boundaries for private / public land with contact info (Unfortunately I know getting permission is a long shot)? (I realize a stand alone unit may be better, however I don't currently have one and would be open to that feedback.)

2. I'm not opposed to making scouting trips (and have done so it the past), however I've seen how chaotic things seem to get after the first day. Do you feel a scouting trip is worth the time (besides getting familiar with the landmarks and terrain of the land again)?

3. We have only ever had cow tags when I have been hunting in 410 so it wasn't really an issue, but is it worth hiring a guide to maximize the opportunity for a shot at a good bull? (If so, who might you recommend speaking to?)

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you have about these questions and any other recommendations you may have to share with the thread!

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
Hunt n x is is you want and after watching Randy's you tube video last week is f you have a smart phone go that route, Randy also gave great advice if no cell service use airplane mode. I have a gps so like Randy I'm slow to switch. That tag may warrant a guide most likely you won't draw that tag again. Good hunting !

Great tag and I wish you the best on your unit. I've hunted over in 417 quite a bit but not 410. I do think you drew an outstanding tag and should have success. The opening week will probably have a lot of folks over there with all the lucky cow hunters out, and of course seems like the kids have a break from school then so that seems to be the time that most folks go.

A friend of mine drew a 417 tag one year and we went for the opener. Saw a really nice 6x6 bull but could not close the deal. People were everywhere. He went back a couple weeks later and had hardly any competition and got a really nice 6x6 bull.

1. Use onxmaps
2. If you already know the area, scouting is more for fun than useful. The elk move around a lot up there
3. I would never use a guide, but that's me. During archery, you may see lots of cows and bulls but get no shots. First week or so of the season you may have a rough time finding what you want. By mid November, it will be easier to find a bull than a cow on public. Be patient and you'll get a decent one.

Thank you all for your feedback thus far, sneakypete do you happen to know of any that you would speak with if you were to try and hire a guide?

Thanks!

You may want to call the FWP office in Lewistown, Sonya is the area biologist she may know of a reputable outfitter. I personally don't know of any. Ill pm you.

Thank you very much Pete! (I can't send you a PM based on your settings, but will let you know the outcome later tonight)

Best Regards,

Duke

Duke, I'll mess with my settings. I'll also pm you my email . Best of luck with Dave.

Yep.....reading through his questions kinda made me chuckle, pretty typical.......

"2. I'm not opposed to making scouting trips (and have done so it the past), however I've seen how chaotic things seem to get after the first day. Do you feel a scouting trip is worth the time (besides getting familiar with the landmarks and terrain of the land again)?"

No, nope, pre-season or post-season scouting is a waste of time, getting familiar with landmarks and the lay of the land in person & with your boots on is over-rated, completely over-rated......(alot of sarcasm in that in case you're wondering :oops: )

God can mods just delete threads like this? There is zero reason to have them up to sit for the remainder of time lol

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back