Mississippi Pot Roast

Big Bore

This isn’t my recipe, nor is it new, but I’ve only recently been turned on to it. It is really simple and ridiculously good.

First, you start with a willing specimen to be the protein source. I chose a front shoulder from this sow I killed with a handgun the day before this past season opened.
C2A09328-9B3B-46AF-8ABF-1128CEAF828C.jpeg

Next, gather the ingredients…

1 pack of dry ranch seasoning mix

1 pack of Au Jus mix

1 stick of butter

1/2 jar (or to taste) of sliced pepperoncini peppers and juice

1 venison, pork, or beef chunk of meat/roast

1 crockpot

B8DF34C2-3CA9-4CB6-898F-2363E39265BF.jpeg

Now for the prep. It’s so simple, even a rifle hunter could do it.

Mix the ranch and Au Jus dry powders together. Coat the bottom of the roast with the dry mix and then put the roast in the crockpot. Take the rest of the dry mix and spread over the top of the roast.

Next, throw in the sliced pepperoncinis and about a 1/3 of the juice from the jar. And lastly, put a stick of butter on top. **I had to debone the shoulder as it was too big to fit as was**

98B0A887-59B8-4FD0-BA8D-EBE8EF32F847.jpeg

Set the crockpot to low and and leave it be. I checked mine after 8 hours and it fell apart. It looked like this…
50920B8C-349D-42FF-81F6-18C7EF0A029A.jpeg

And finally, get out your finest plastic plates, add a few sides, and get down to business.
AABF3BCE-C3B3-4EA7-87B0-A6DBD9C12233.jpeg

In my house we make Italian "beef"
Instead of the ranch and aujus we throw a pack of Louie's in. Best thing is we've learned how to make it last minute from frozen with our pressure cooker.
Toast some local rolls and melt some provolone on them and your ready to eat!

In my house we make Italian "beef"
Instead of the ranch and aujus we throw a pack of Louie's in. Best thing is we've learned how to make it last minute from frozen with our pressure cooker.
Toast some local rolls and melt some provolone on them and your ready to eat!
Same here. Italian seasoning and pepperoncinis in the slow cooker. Shred the roast, pile on a bun and melt provolone on top. YUM!

I would jump in and add that this recipe works so well with wild game and is in our rotation.

I would also add that if you want to take it next level, use some of your seasoning packets as dry rub, then throw your meat chunk on the grill/smoker and run it until it gets a good bark. Then finish it in the crockpot with the rest of the ingredients.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back