Minuteman Project Working Already!!

az hunters who care

This article is Stright out of the Liberal Los Angles Times:

THE NATION
A Roadblock, Not a Barrier for Migrants
Amid the campaign of the Minuteman patrols, arrests and illegal traffic have dropped. Many border-crossers say they'll just try again.

By David Kelly, Times Staff Writer

LA MORITA, Mexico — Sergio Cruz almost made it. He had walked five days through the desert, was robbed at gunpoint, abandoned by his guide and now was within 20 yards of the border.

That's when he saw the line of trucks and sport utility vehicles flying American flags just over the barbed-wire fence separating Mexico from the U.S. Frustrated, he and nine other travelers lay quietly in a ditch along the railroad tracks hoping the men would go away. Early Sunday, Enrique Enriquez stumbled across the migrants and broke the news.

"Did anyone tell you about the Minutemen?" Enriquez, a member of Grupo Beta, Mexico's agency dedicated to protecting the health of migrants, asked the ragged group. "They are hunting for guys just like you. You couldn't get across now if you were sitting on George Bush's lap…. You cannot cross here — wait a month or choose another place."

Enriquez had been patrolling La Morita, a desolate border region, all morning. His mission was to intercept people heading north and warn them about the Minuteman Project, an effort by hundreds of American volunteers to track and report illegal immigrants coming into southeastern Arizona.

The migrants frowned.

"I would like to tell those people that we are not criminals," said 22-year-old Cruz. "We came to pick crops. Our records are clean. We are not selling drugs, we only want to work. Who will pick the crops if we don't?"

Although only about 200 activists have shown up, their efforts have already had a dramatic, if perhaps short-term effect.

This vast desert border just west of Douglas, Ariz., is the busiest illegal crossing point in the nation. Enriquez said more than 400 people a day walk these harsh trails. But news of the Minutemen's arrival, combined with media hype in Mexico, has cut the traffic to a few dozen a day.

Some smugglers have refused to take clients to the border area until the activists leave. Others are directing them elsewhere, as far east as El Paso, Texas. An air of fear and indignation hangs over this side of the border, where misinformation is rife.

Ruben Valenzuela, a Mexican state policeman at a checkpoint near Agua Prieta, across from Douglas, said his unit had been dispatched to protect migrants.

"We came because they are shooting our people over there," he said. "They don't have the right to kill immigrants. People here are really angry about this."

Valenzuela and his comrades seemed surprised to hear that the Minutemen, who began arriving Friday, were under strict orders not to touch any illegal immigrant, only to report them to the Border Patrol.

"Well, they will only stop the immigration for a short time and then it will start again," he said.

Not far away, Lupita Paz said she didn't send her children, American citizens, to school in Douglas on Friday. "A bunch of us women didn't send their kids because we were afraid of the Minutemen," she said.

Agua Prieta Mayor David Figueroa called the activists "vigilantes" and their effort "an expression of racism." He said that Grupo Beta had added more agents to try to persuade people not to cross and show that the Mexican police presence has been beefed up to deter drug dealers from sneaking into the U.S.

The net effect has been a precipitous drop in illegal traffic, something the Minuteman campaign would likely claim credit for. But Figueroa said Mexico didn't have the money to sustain such efforts and that they would end when the volunteers left at the end of the month.

"I understand the frustration of the American people but this is not the way to handle it," he said.

While the activists' presence along the border has deterred some, it has done little to stop the desire to go north. Interviews with migrants Sunday showed they planned to go around the Minutemen or wait until they left. None would stay in Mexico.

"We heard about these people but didn't see them until last night," said Manuel Soto, 21, as he sat along railroad tracks in Mexico. "We didn't know what we should do so, we were going to wait until they left."

The Minutemen, stationed at quarter-mile intervals, were just over a small rise where they couldn't see the migrants.

Santiago Ramirez, 36, was angry with his government.

"Tell [Mexican President] Vicente Fox to pay us better wages so we don't have to cross here," he said.

Enriquez of Grupo Beta calmed the men.

"I will tell you the truth," he said. "The people over there are very angry with you. I cannot say what they will do if they catch you. They may beat you up or hurt you. You see the solution, you are not dumb, so don't waste your time crossing, it's not worth it."

They agreed to abandon their plans for the moment and jumped in back of Grupo Beta's orange pickup.

Sergio Cruz stared out the window.

"My dream is to some day have my own business, but I must save my money for that," he said. "I would like to have a wife and children and a stable job, but I don't know if that is possible in Mexico. I can't get any money here. I see this dream as not happening."

The group was taken to Agua Prieta, given soup and offered a reduced-price bus ticket home. There were no takers. Everyone planned to cross.

"Maybe we will go through Juarez this time," said Justino Escabar. "But I am not giving up. I will try again in a different direction; there are still many places to cross."

Why would they need to support the Minutemen...Didnt GW Shrub promise them he would clean up the border problem? He created a whole new branch of Goverment to ensure his voters he was serious.

Do all Republicans enjoy being lied to???

The Minuteman Project has now raised the number of illegals caught to 118. Read this goo article in the Sierra Vista Hearld:

Monday, April 4, 2005

Local News

Citizens take posts on the border; 118 illegals caught, officials sayby michael sullivan

By Michael Sullivan
Monday, April 4, 2005 1:18 PM MDT

Herald/Review

ALONG THE BORDER - As more U.S. citizens arrive daily to take up positions overlooking the border with Mexico, fears that gun-toting racists in the Minuteman Project would be confronting illegal border crossers were diminishing Sunday.

Scores of volunteers from across the nation were being deployed in an orderly fashion starting Sunday morning, clustered in groups of four or five facing the strands of barbed wire that mark the border. The groups were spaced within sight of one another along Border Road, east of Naco.

While dozens of demonstrators with placards and flags lined up across Naco Highway from the U.S. Border Patrol station, Minuteman Project organizer Chris Simcox led a caravan of reporters, photographers and project volunteers from the parking lot of the Palominas Trading Post past the demonstrators and down along the border.

After a bumpy, dusty 10-mile ride, Simcox pulled up and media representatives piled out of their vehicles to interview people manning the outposts.

"We're building the line," Simcox announced to the media, as he made a U-turn to leave the area.

A Border Patrol helicopter flew overhead, adding to the drama of yet another media event connected with the citizens' rally to protect the border.

For Juan Carlos, a reporter and cameraman with Azteca 54 KAZA-TV, the drive over from Los Angeles was worth it. Seeing the event first-hand was essential.

"We came to tell the truth," Carlos said. "It's peaceful." What had he learned during the past week?

"I learned I definitely wouldn't cross the border here," Carlos said with a smile.

Looking at the volunteers across the road, Carlos said: "They're protecting the border. I've seen no evidence of racism."

The volunteers, many of them retirees, were also quick to assert their lack of racism.

"We have nothing against any races," said Dottie Dalton, 66, from Muriettta, Calif. "We're the neighborhood watch."

Wearing a badge she's been selling for $3 that identifies the wearer as an "Undocumented Border Patrol Agent," Dalton said she's been concerned about illegal immigration from Mexico for years.

She plans to follow up her service with the Minuteman Project by demonstrating at three Home Depot stores in Southern California.

"They encourage illegal immigration," she said.

Don and Alphie Schenck, from Corona, Calif., were also there to not only protect the border but to help focus national attention on the issue of illegal immigration through Arizona.

A retired Orange County, Calif., postal worker, Don Schenck declared: "We're not vigilantes."

The Schencks may stay a few days, doing what they can. They didn't really expect to encounter anyone walking across the desert stretching off to the horizon when they chose the 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. shift. They also didn't expect to get shot at. They were not armed.

"At least we can say we did it," Schenck said. Nearby, Dan Russell of San Diego thought the Minuteman Project had already been successful in focusing national attention on the border problem.

The former San Diego firefighter wore a "Savage Nation" ballcap.

Radio talk show host Michael Savage has long advocated strong measures to stop illegal immigration and has encouraged listeners to join the Minuteman Project.

Russell was extremely critical of President George W. Bush and the Republican Party, although he voted for Bush in 2000. In 2004 he voted for the Constitution Party.

He still gets phone calls for donations to the Republican Party.

"They're not going to get a dime from me until Congress holds Bush's feet to the fire," Russell said. "The buck stops at the White House."

Like the others at his outpost, Russell is paying his own expenses and is staying at Miracle Valley Bible College, where dorm space is only $5 a night.

A number of volunteers have also parked recreational vehicles at the college, where entry was tightly controlled Sunday morning.

No news media were allowed in. A Herald/Review reporter was referred to someone named Linda Chase in area code 760, which includes Barstow, Calif. A call to Chase was not returned by press deadline Sunday afternoon.

More than 100 volunteers were staying at the Bible College, according to volunteer Ken Hofstra of Green Valley. Some organizational meetings have also been held there, he said.

As evidence that the volunteers were not the monsters some people had portrayed them to be, Hofstra pointed out that they had helped a dehydrated Guatemalan who had wandered onto the campus around midnight Friday.

The only injury to anyone was to a volunteer who fell into a hole at the college Saturday night and dislocated a shoulder.

'Absolutely flawless'

Sunday's staging area for volunteers was the Palominas Trading Post.

Wearing caps and T-shirts emblazoned with slogans such as "I defended the U.S. border," "America is full," and "Let our Border Patrol do their job," men and women of various ages gathered to receive instructions for the afternoon and evening shift - and to hear Simcox brief reporters from across the U.S.

"It's been absolutely flawless," Simcox told a Herald/Review reporter as he walked from his dusty pickup truck to a cluster of volunteers and reporters.

Simcox said project volunteers had assisted in the apprehension of 118 illegal immigrants. Fourteen were picked up by the Border Patrol near the Huachuca Mountains, 18 at Hereford and the rest in the Naco area.

Andy Adame, public information officer for the Border Patrol, confirmed that 118 apprehensions resulted from 54 calls received since Thursday.

Here’s another one, the arrests have dropped by about 2/3's since the Minutemen have started up. The big thing is, and it is stated in this article, that it has made it into the National headlines and things are now starting to role along and as the article states, into the international media to a point.

The Mexican Government has their own troops to turn would be border crossers around and no "Clashes" between the Minutemen and any one else, any one knows about.
So they are being very successful in their endeavors.

Imagine that, a force of a few hundred changing the tides of history… :D

Border Watchers Capture Their Prey -- the Media

By David Kelly Times Staff Writer

PALOMINAS, Ariz. — Jim Gilchrist bounced into the Trading Post diner here Monday, ordered coffee and toast and began smoking vigorously.

His cellphone occasionally rang, his two-way radio squawked and a coterie of followers hung on his every word.

Things were going better than he could imagine. The founder of the Minuteman Project, designed to put volunteers on the southeastern Arizona border to deter illegal immigrants, had attracted more than 200 journalists from around the world.

Mexico responded with more troops and extra police at the border to deter migrants. The U.S. Border Patrol boosted its ranks by 500 agents and Gilchrist had become a minor, if international, celebrity.

"None of this would have happened if it wasn't for the Minuteman action," he said. "This thing was a dog and pony show designed to bring in the media and get the message out and it worked."

Indeed it did. For weeks, the 56-year-old retired accountant from Aliso Viejo had promised 1,000 volunteers would be arriving in Arizona come April. But when the activists showed up Friday, they numbered about 200, a roughly 1-to-1 ratio with members of the news media.

The Minutemen's presence set off some protests from immigrant-rights groups, and Mexican President Vicente Fox called on the U.S. government to protect illegal immigrants coming across the desert.

President Bush outraged many of the activists by calling them vigilantes. They responded by calling Bush the co-president of Mexico and a leader who had failed his responsibility to secure the country's borders.

On Monday, the official start of the monthlong project, Gilchrist said there were 450 Minutemen, though the number could not be verified. He also said the volunteers had aided in the arrest of 146 illegal immigrants. The Border Patrol would not confirm the figure or say what role the activists had played in any apprehensions.

Gilchrist waved off such details, preferring to look at the big picture.

"Look, I struck the mother lode of patriotism by using the Minuteman theme," he said, lighting another cigarette. "Then I used the theme of Martin Luther King — nonviolent action, never let up and keep getting the message out. To me, the illegal aliens are economic refugees. They are not an invading army. It's a silent Trojan horse invasion that is eroding our culture."

He paid his check and made for the lead car in a convoy heading out on patrol. Gilchrist handed everyone walkie-talkies and issued them nicknames — Dingo, Sierra, Tango.

The line of cars took off down the road. Gilchrist, who has traveled with a bodyguard in Arizona because of assorted death threats, was anxious that interloping vehicles might slip into the entourage.

"Dingo, is that a Mustang that doesn't belong to us?" he said over the radio.

Affirmative, came the response.

"Well, OK, we'll just have to go with the flow," he replied nervously.

A few miles toward the border with Mexico, the cars pulled onto a dirt road, and everyone got out and followed Gilchrist through the desert. There were piles of old clothes, knapsacks, underwear and empty bottles left by illegal immigrants.

"Hey, we got a fresh pair of prints here," said Gilchrist, wearing a bright flowered shirt, a canteen and a hat with a feather poking out. "I think they lay up here during the day and walk at night."

The patrol meandered around scrub oak, up and down hills, and over barbed wire. Sighting an immigrant began to take on the element of spotting a rare butterfly or obscure bird species. Plans to set up an outpost fizzled when Gilchrist got a call on the radio.

His face tightened.

"According to our Minutemen intelligence network, which has been flawless, there is credible evidence that two dozen Mexican nationals have assembled for the sole purpose of causing an incident that would make us look bad," Gilchrist said gravely. "They want us to open fire or assault them. The threat is very real but I can't give you my sources, which are in Mexico."

The volunteers looked around, some with puzzled expressions, others betraying a certain skepticism. Gilchrist quietly smoked.

A few miles away on a road along the border, trucks and cars flew state flags as severe dust storms sent hats and lawn chairs spinning across the desert. Men, women and the occasional child examined the vast expanse of Mexico with binoculars for any sign of movement.

Chris, a 45-year-old engineer from Fountain Valley, Calif., had tied a white handkerchief onto his glasses to deflect the stinging sand. He brought his wife, twin daughters and 15-year-old son here for spring break.

"The way we have been portrayed as a bunch of yahoos and rednecks, no wonder people want to kill us," he said, declining to give his full name. "I came with my family because I thought it would be great for them to see the border situation up close."

His son Alex, retreating inside his hooded sweatshirt to escape the driving sand, nodded weakly.

Despite the attention they have garnered, not everyone thinks the Minutemen have been successful.

"My read on it is that it has fizzled," said Tamar Jacoby, an immigration expert at the Manhattan Institute, a public policy think tank. "This project is not going to prove anything. All it will prove is that you can funnel immigration from one place to another."

Mexican officials said they had seen a major drop in migrants heading for the 23-mile stretch between Douglas and Naco patrolled by the Minutemen. But the migrants said they would just find alternative routes or wait until the activists left.

"Nothing else the government has done has had the effect we have had," said Chris Simcox, co-organizer of the project. "We are showing the government the model for homeland security. If they deployed 10,000 to 15,000 National Guard troops on the border, there would be nowhere else to funnel people."

Douglas Mayor Ray Borane came to see the volunteers' positions and wasn't pleased.

"It just confirms my belief that we are looking at a bunch of interlopers who are creating an environment that is not good for our people," he said. "They have gotten a lot of attention, but if the press leaves tomorrow these guys would be gone by Thursday."

Not far away, the Minutemen radios were filled with excited chatter about an illegal immigrant in the area. Gilchrist drove up to an outpost, flung open the car door and shouted, "Who saw the illegal aliens?"

A tall Minuteman approached.

"There are no illegals, those are our people," he said.

The "immigrant" was in fact 67-year-old Dave Gessner of Fort Wayne, Ind.

"I was just answering the call of nature," he said sheepishly. "Guess I won't wander off anymore."

Gilchrist chuckled.

When asked what he'd do if there were no changes at the border after the Minutemen left, he put on his best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice.

"I'll be back," he growled.

Border arrests

A breakdown of Border Patrol apprehensions in the Naco, Ariz., region from Wednesday through Sunday. Minuteman Project volunteers began gathering Friday and launched patrols in the area Monday:

Wednesday ...302

Thursday...296

Friday...205

Saturday...91

Sunday...103

Source: Associated Press

Los Angeles Times

A breakdown of Border Patrol apprehensions in the Naco, Ariz., region from Wednesday through Sunday. Minuteman Project volunteers began gathering Friday and launched patrols in the area Monday:

Wednesday ...302

Thursday...296

Friday...205

Saturday...91

Sunday...103

Source: Associated Press

Looks like the Border Patrol was catching more illegal Aliens prior to the 200 Man White Trash March beginning. Now they aren't nearly as effective as they have to waste time checking out all the tripped sensors the Minutemaids are stumbling on and tripping.

Hey Joseph Crow...........
ponch2.bmp

Tripping sensors?? That is BS. The minutemen are sitting in lawn chairs on a road looking for invaders. They arn't out walking the trails. Border patrol also has the exact GPS coordinates of each 4 man team location and a phone number for the minuteman command.

Just face it the minuteman project was designed to stop illegals from coming into the US in the San Pedro river valley. It has worked! The only reason the Mexican Military and Groupo Beta are tring to detour the illegals some where else is because of the minutemen.

This is becoming to funny...
guner/sybil is losing on every front in the SI section, what is with that? :eek: :)
Maybe some day he will start to become focused and a productive member of the SI again, his credibility is lost and for what gain? :(

Thats a pretty funny statement coming from you Cheese...

YOU are talking bad about someone elses credibility? Now thats funny, I dont care who you are.

I really put a lot of credibility in what you say Cheese, I mean theres nothing more credible than a high school educated middle aged contract mopshot ditch digger who lives in Anaconda and works 3 days a year.

I think you lost all credibility with the pictures you posted of you practicing beastiality with a dead elk and the pictures of you felling green trees and digging pits on NF lands...

You're real credible there dude...

What an ass-clown.

az hunters who care said:
Tripping sensors?? That is BS. The minutemen are sitting in lawn chairs on a road looking for invaders. They arn't out walking the trails. Border patrol also has the exact GPS coordinates of each 4 man team location and a phone number for the minuteman command.

Just face it the minuteman project was designed to stop illegals from coming into the US in the San Pedro river valley. It has worked! The only reason the Mexican Military and Groupo Beta are tring to detour the illegals some where else is because of the minutemen.

Well said, AZhunter.. hey i`m glad you went down there last weekend Did you see old sea hag dressed up like the statue of liberty? [she was funny]I tried to explain to "Sybil" ,gunner, or whatever about the sensors [non-issue] The latest good news from the Cochise County Sherriff... He said since the minutemen have arrived on patrol,, its been the so quiet!! and the Deputies are finaly getting a rest.. hump

az hunters who care said:
Just face it the minuteman project was designed to stop illegals from coming into the US in the San Pedro river valley. It has worked!

The project was not designed to stop anybody from coming into the country, it was a publicity stunt to bring attention to the issue. Get a clue.

Please feel free to show where the minuteman project is a "racial" project/organization. Please show your sources. If anything they are "protecting" these central american illegal migrants from being exploited.

The Minuteman Project that began this week appears to have fizzled, thank goodness. The project was expected to post more than 1,000 volunteers along the Arizona-Mexico border this month, but fewer than 200 showed up, some of them armed. Their goal was to stop illegal immigrants. The danger in this is that volunteers could act as vigilantes.

President Bush expressed the concern recently when asked about the group. ''I'm against vigilantes in the United States of America,'' he said. ``I'm for enforcing law in a rational way. That's why you got a Border Patrol, and they ought to be in charge of enforcing the border.''

The president is right, of course. But there's more to the argument. The law also must be rational for it to be effectively enforced.

The Border Patrol has been complaining that Minuteman volunteers were tripping sensors intended to signal possible migrants. Agents who responded to false alarms were diverted from their enforcement job. One Border Patrol spokesman worried that something could go ``drastically wrong.''

Unpopular approach

That so few answered the call for Minuteman volunteers -- despite Internet recruiting and widespread media attention -- reflects the unpopularity of the approach. Taller fences and more militarization alone will not keep all those ''intruders'' out.

The reality is more complex: The U.S. immigration system doesn't work because its laws ignore basic human nature. Yes, adding more Border Patrol agents might better secure our border and discourage some aspiring immigrants. But nothing will shut the door as long as 1) the income gap between Americans and Mexicans remains a chasm, 2) U.S. employers eagerly hire imported workers for jobs U.S. residents don't want and 3) families separated by a border long to reunite.

Possible solutions

President Bush rightly has called for a ''commonsense immigration policy.'' If ''there's a willing worker and a willing employer, that job ought to be filled on a legal basis, no matter where the person comes from,'' he said. He also talked of a ''compassionate policy'' that would allow workers to cross the border legally to see family.

Solutions are possible. A Council on Foreign Relations report calls for the United States, Canada and Mexico to form a North American economic and security community over time.

One idea is for an investment fund to narrow the development gap with Mexico, which would stimulate jobs and keep Mexicans working at home.

More immediately, a bipartisan bill being shaped at President Bush's bidding stands to offer rational immigration reforms. He has a real chance to leave a legacy of rational immigration policies. To ensure Congressional action, however, President Bush will have to counter the minority of anti-immigrant lawmakers that, like Minuteman volunteers, will oppose even reasonable approaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back