Caribou Gear

Minnesota 2021 Season

BHA sponsored a 3D shoot at the club this weekend and I hit it first thing this morning. Like last time, i shot once through with my recurve, no rangefinder and stepping up to random, but comfortable range. Then I went back through with my compound and rangefinder, shooting from the stake.

I shot 320 on 39 targets with the recurve, and 326 on 39 with the compound. I was pretty tired at the end, but it was fun to beat the heat.

This was my favorite shot of the day, and the pic happened to be on the recurve round!

A882954D-9737-4CB9-A3E7-C671BC98689F.jpeg

I attended another 3D shoot this past weekend, my first ever trad only shoot. Shoutout to Rapids Archery Club up in Andover, that course was awesome! They had 3 loops of 20 targets, with each loop comprising species from Western, Minnesota, and Africa.

This was the first shoot I’d attended that I didn’t have to step up to trad range to shoot. Also, unlike most other shoots, it was set up as walking in the woods with targets all along the path. My favorite loop was the western one, but the running leopard on the African trail was my favorite target. Tough to get pics by myself, but this one I snapped from a berm on the MN trail after shooting down.

7C94FE57-3ADA-4637-AD1E-89DAFD3F8D14.jpeg

I have shot that course. In a word....awesome. They actually have way more targets when it isnt a tourney. 50+ per loop if I remember correctly. Great for getting ready for elk season.

It was super cool. Totally worth the hour drive up. It was also the first shoot that actually tallied the results. There was a big scoreboard in the clubhouse after finishing. I declined to do that, and just shot for fun. I’ll definitely be going back next year!

I’m working from home full time, and in the winter we put out a bird feeder just because. I filled it up the other day and decided to purchase a ‘birds or Minnesota’ book so I could start identifying who is using it. First day I had 6 different species come in, and I picked up my 7th this morning!

Nothing crazy or uncommon to report, but I’ve been keeping myself entertained with my binos on my desk. I guess I’m officially a backyard birder.

We had our July 3D shoot this weekend at the club. Like all the others, I shot through first with my recurve, stepping up to reasonable recurve range. It was my best shoot of the year, scoring 381 on 44 targets which is an average of vitals based on how I score (no idea if it’s correct, but I’m consistent with it!). I knew I was shooting good as I was going through. I traded a handful of 5s for 10s and 12s along the way.

Once finished, I swapped out for my compound and hit the course again. On the 4th shot, I noticed that my d-loop was torn, and the only thing holding it together was the sheath material. I still took that shot, but then decided to call it before I had a bigger problem than just a d-loop swap. Easy fix, but that was the end of my shooting.

Definitely following this thread. Great to see other MN outdoorsman out getting after it. Usually always have extra room in the duck boat come fall. PM if you would ever like to go man. Keep it up!

Being originally from MN it will be cool to get another's perspective on the outdoor opportunities.

Definitely following this thread. Great to see other MN outdoorsman out getting after it. Usually always have extra room in the duck boat come fall. PM if you would ever like to go man. Keep it up!
I’d definitely be interested in duck hunting. Something I’ve always wanted to learn, but don’t know where to start! For some reason I can’t PM you. If you can PM me, let’s chat.

I think you need 10 posts to get the PM function.

Saw a couple really good bucks on our property last week. Racks arent done yet, but they are getting to where you can see what they are going to be!

Spent the better part of the last 10 days traveling. First to Montana for a work trip, then to Michigan for a bit of R&R with family and friends. My brother and I fished lake st Clair to no avail for a few hours before a rain storm, and we spent a couple of days on Drummond island to round things out. Back to normal life now, and summer is moving way too quick!

Im patiently waiting for this years regs to be released so I can pick up my licenses and apply for some hunts. Any day now hopefully…

Shot my proficiency test for the management hunts today with my compound. I pulled the 3rd shot a bit, but kept all 5 in the required circle and am good to go for this years hunts.

License sales open on Sunday, and I plan to put in for a few special hunts run by the dnr this year as well. Hopefully as august gets rolling I’ll be posting about some drawn permits!

Shot my proficiency test for the management hunts today with my compound. I pulled the 3rd shot a bit, but kept all 5 in the required circle and am good to go for this years hunts.

License sales open on Sunday, and I plan to put in for a few special hunts run by the dnr this year as well. Hopefully as august gets rolling I’ll be posting about some drawn permits!
What is the required circle and distance? I've never heard of this, and I'm curious.

Back