Caribou Gear

Minnesota 2021 Season

Wife and I hit another local lake this afternoon. It was pretty dang weedy, but ended up pulling out a decent number of fish. Best of the day was this northern. I really need to get a tape measure! I’d guess this one was around 24-26” or so. Decent girth and it just smashed the lure.

F5FD65C9-F0C7-4674-87D9-2EFB4EE81DED.jpeg

Wife and I hit another local lake this afternoon. It was pretty dang weedy, but ended up pulling out a decent number of fish. Best of the day was this northern. I really need to get a tape measure! I’d guess this one was around 24-26” or so. Decent girth and it just smashed the lure.

View attachment 184023
Looking like a seasoned vet already!

If I had the time, I would. I am a fairly new hunter, so I have never plucked or cleaned a turkey.
There is nothing to it and plenty of videos on YouTube to walk you through cleaning a bird. Those older mature birds are still quite active right now and it may be your best time to get after them. Good luck!

View attachment 184023
Got into the smallies on Friday with my good friend. Unfortunately, back in the Mississippi heat until mid-July.

Attachments

• 51609AB2-CF70-423C-9DE9-3541D3F9B9F6.jpeg
    51609AB2-CF70-423C-9DE9-3541D3F9B9F6.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 5
  • DBF6F9CC-C372-41CF-A49C-A0ABAD879072.jpeg
    DBF6F9CC-C372-41CF-A49C-A0ABAD879072.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 5
Wife and I hit the lake super close to our house after work. Didn’t get any pics, but we landed a handful of solid bass! 16”, 17”, 18”, 13.5”, 14”. Also got a pretty solid crappie that I had on the stringer for a while, then decided I didn’t want to deal with it tonight so let it go. Had it been a “not weeknight” that thing wouldn’t have gotten so lucky.

This lake is turning into a pretty solid little honey hole! Less than a mile from home, carry in access only, no gas motors. It’s quiet, productive and fun fishing.

I’ve got Friday off so will be on the water in the AM. Not sure which lake yet, but might try out some virgin waters!

Woke up to a chilly 37, but had the day off to fish, and fish I would. Wore my waders to keep dry and warm and set out to a new lake. Having never been on this lake, I planned to just paddle upwind and drift the shoreline, throwing up to the shallows. It was cold, but I scraped out a few fish. One small bass, and this guy!

My first ever Muskie, which made the trip totally worth it! Not a monster, but still super cool in my book.

4F3627AF-F2E7-4E8D-BA39-38BA13F3E828.jpeg

Having the kayaks has really reinvigorated my fishing fire. I haven’t fished like this in years, probably since high school of so. It’s so much nicer being able to get away from the shore and public docks.

I think I’ll be out again tomorrow AM. It’s supposed to be a bit warmer, and hopefully I’ll be able to stay out longer than I was today!

The freedom to go anywhere on the lake is a great feeling!

I fished Saturday AM and this morning. Both days were pretty slow, but I landed a few fish each day. Saturday I caught 2 smaller bass and a sunny. It was really slow until the wind picked up and I started a drift.

Today I hit a smaller local lake. I was surprised to see a half dozen other boats already on the water when I arrived at 5:45! Took a long while until I got into some fish but finally hooked up on a 14” largemouth on the back side of the lake. I drifted that whole side and caught two more dinks in the 8 inch range. As I rounded a point I hooked up on a bigger fish, what turned out to be an 18” bass. Pretty slow all in all but better than nothing!

I fished Saturday AM and this morning. Both days were pretty slow, but I landed a few fish each day. Saturday I caught 2 smaller bass and a sunny. It was really slow until the wind picked up and I started a drift.

Today I hit a smaller local lake. I was surprised to see a half dozen other boats already on the water when I arrived at 5:45! Took a long while until I got into some fish but finally hooked up on a 14” largemouth on the back side of the lake. I drifted that whole side and caught two more dinks in the 8 inch range. As I rounded a point I hooked up on a bigger fish, what turned out to be an 18” bass. Pretty slow all in all but better than nothing!
Are you working the smallmouth bite? I was surprised at how many of them had already hit the beds and were underneath the docks. Use a ned rig and cast just in front of the shadow of the dock or bot lift. Worked like a charm for me last weekend.

Are you working the smallmouth bite? I was surprised at how many of them had already hit the beds and were underneath the docks. Use a ned rig and cast just in front of the shadow of the dock or bot lift. Worked like a charm for me last weekend.
All the lakes I’ve fished so far don’t have smallmouth. Just largemouth.

Fished this morning before work at the little largemouth hotspot near my house. The day started slow, but I picked up one smallish pike after about 45 minutes. Second fish hit relatively quickly, and it hit hard. It was fighting like a pike and as I pulled it out the words “huh, it’s a small tiger muskie. Those aren’t supposed to me here.” were muttered. Just a little guy, but he hit like a tank!

Fish 3/4 were both bass. First one being nearly 19” and the second one a solid fighting 14”. Not bad for a pre work run.

I’ve really, really been enjoying these esox that I’ve gotten onto this summer. I’m starting to think how to start targeting them a little more than just incidental catch. Pike is doable (although I’ve never specifically fished for them on purpose) and I might need to go to a heavier line if I get serious about it. I don’t see myself ever really chasing muskie exclusively, but my second one in less than a week definitely had me doing a bit of googling. Such pretty fish!

45B555E2-1390-4871-BD41-8F5CC635FCAD.jpeg0A2CDE1D-8236-4436-A52C-C2C836D1527B.jpeg7C700171-A5F0-42B8-A2E0-C7CAA82735EA.jpeg

Fished this morning before work at the little largemouth hotspot near my house. The day started slow, but I picked up one smallish pike after about 45 minutes. Second fish hit relatively quickly, and it hit hard. It was fighting like a pike and as I pulled it out the words “huh, it’s a small tiger muskie. Those aren’t supposed to me here.” were muttered. Just a little guy, but he hit like a tank!

Fish 3/4 were both bass. First one being nearly 19” and the second one a solid fighting 14”. Not bad for a pre work run.

I’ve really, really been enjoying these esox that I’ve gotten onto this summer. I’m starting to think how to start targeting them a little more than just incidental catch. Pike is doable (although I’ve never specifically fished for them on purpose) and I might need to go to a heavier line if I get serious about it. I don’t see myself ever really chasing muskie exclusively, but my second one in less than a week definitely had me doing a bit of googling. Such pretty fish!

View attachment 184746View attachment 184747View attachment 184748
That first one is a baby tiger musky!

So, I decided to set up a pike pole to start targeting the species for real. I paired braided line with a wire leader, and purchased a few spoons, spinners and cranks. Wife and I hit a lake this afternoon and it was the inaugural trip with it. Let me just say, pike fishing is really, really hard…

When you’re absolutely crushing largemouth! We went 3/3 on our first 3 casts. At one point we were hooked up double and both lost them on jumps. So cool. Then later I went 5/5 which was just insane. We didn’t catch anything big, but all were hard fighting 14-16” fish. So awesome.

I didn’t get a pic, but I caught two fish that had unusual black spots. Like really black. Full black on the tail, and one has black lips. I’d never seen that before, but apparently it’s a thing called melanosis which causes hyperpigmentation. I deeply regret not getting a pic of those! I’m heading out tomorrow AM again to see what I can turn up. 90 degree day are better on the water!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back