Minnesota 2021 Season

MN_Bowhunter4

Time for my fourth installment of my attempt at a season journal! Previous seasons linked below, and while a lot is the same this year, a lot has also changed.

For starters, I have a new job that is fully remote. This has given me the ability to get out hunting a bit more on weekdays this spring, and I expect that’ll continue into the fall.

My season will look pretty similar to previous years. I’ll be mostly archery hunting, with a few drawn hunts that give me the ability to hunt in parks or other “exclusive” areas. I’ve been committed to trad bow since last year and continue to shoot that every day. Most of my time will be spent with that, but I’ll bring the compound out for some of those special hunts that don’t allow trad gear. Mix in a little muzzy action, and perhaps a Wisconsin tag (still deciding on that one) and my deer season will be rounded out.

New for this year, my wife and I bought kayaks! We plan to do a TON of fishing this spring/summer, which will be super fun. I’ve also been thinking of ways to include that in my fall hunting, and starting to think ducks again. I’m a novice, terrible duck hunter, but a kayak may afford me some opportunities and access I haven’t had before. I’m committing to spending at least 4 weekends of the season hunting for upland and waterfowl, just to mix it up a bit!

I’ll do my best to keep this updated throughout the summer and fall for those who are interested in following along. Should be a fun year!

Good luck! I am considering getting kayaks for me and my wife. I want to get my shed project finished first so I have a place to keep them.

What's your traditional bow? I have been investigating a purchase or a build, but there are so many options out there. And unlike compound bows, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much marketing material that you can learn about products with.

I’m on my way to Northern Minnesota at the moment to get my last turkey of the year. Hopefully, tomorrow is the day and then I can spend the remainder of my time catching up on a little work in the peace and quiet, and the rest of the time chasing walleyes before heading back to MS on Saturday. I hope to draw for a black bear tag this year. Fingers crossed.

Good luck! I am considering getting kayaks for me and my wife. I want to get my shed project finished first so I have a place to keep them.

What's your traditional bow? I have been investigating a purchase or a build, but there are so many options out there. And unlike compound bows, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much marketing material that you can learn about products with.
I have a Timberhawk Strike, which is a single piece recurve. It’s custom, but on the entry level side. The bowyer gave me a couple of options for wood, and then built to my draw specifications. I agree with you though, it’s tough to do research on trad bows! I love it, and I have thought about selling my compound on multiple occasions!

I’m on my way to Northern Minnesota at the moment to get my last turkey of the year. Hopefully, tomorrow is the day and then I can spend the remainder of my time catching up on a little work in the peace and quiet, and the rest of the time chasing walleyes before heading back to MS on Saturday. I hope to draw for a black bear tag this year. Fingers crossed.
Good luck! I’ll be back in the turkey woods once F season starts up.

Yep, correct. 19th through the end of the month.
0E23E99A-6B95-4BA6-B5E7-3B4003935688.jpeg
Well, my Minnesota opener went as well as you could draw it up. Had three toms working early this morning and took this guy by 6:30am. As it turns out, shot this guy between two different Black Bears about 200 yards in each direction. I love me some Minnesota hunting.

We had our first 3D shoot of the summer over the weekend. I went Saturday morning and shot the course first with my recurve. I certainly didn’t shoot from the stake every time, as I have a 20 yard max. I stepped up to an un-ranged distance and let fly. I shot a 369 on 44 targets, which felt really good!

I had my compound in the car, and decided to shoot around again with that. However, this time I shot from the stake, ranging and dialing each shot. It was definitely a harder course with the distance, and I shot 366 on the same 44 targets. Shooting higher with the trad gear, within my range, was a huge boost to the ol’ ego! Great way to kick off summer.

2F7BBBB3-9F93-40E4-8397-F9D0C8F04C40.jpeg

Hit a local lake this morning on the kayak. I loosely call myself a bass fisherman, only because I like to throw and retrieve soft plastics more than anything. Caught a pretty solid mixed bag. 1 crappie, 1 sunfish, 2 northerns and 2 largemouth.

Panfish were both small and the northerns hammer handles. One bass was maybe 12”, and the other was probably the biggest bass I’ve ever caught! I thought I snagged a weed at first. No tape measure on board, but it had my drag working and kayak moving. I hooked up on another big ole bass but it threw my hook on a jump. So much fun!

The picture doesn’t do that fish justice. I’m still smiling about it!

8C307CFE-5C66-4DC7-8F9A-29044C66AE4D.jpeg

CF4B3F00-D218-4882-BA52-F58897269C71.jpeg

I just learned about spring Turkey! I wish I would have known earlier, because a friend of mine out in the country has a huge tom struttin' his stuff almost every morning in his backyard!

Hit the water again this afternoon. I had planned to put in at the launch, but there was a huge line to get even down to it. I ended up dropping in at a shore fishing station and paddled out. Boated 3 small bass, probably in the 10-12” range.

Ive never tried a ned rig until this year. Stupid simple, and the fish seem to dig it.

7717894F-257C-4036-9D7E-605CCF13CE20.jpegF19ECE60-54C9-4B48-86D3-D5325044E9B9.jpeg586BA1B3-CF58-4A8D-8CD0-4E7818158505.jpeg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back