Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Middle Keys in April

BucksnDucks

After a cancelled trip a couple years ago, we are headed to Islamorada in late April. Looks like we are staying in a bay side house for week. The family fishing crew is me and three guys in their twenties.
I'm thinking one day offshore charter (Mahi would be nice), one day backcountry, and one son will be spear fishing at some point. The house has a few kayaks and I'm looking for info about what's available to catch or do either from the yaks or shore. We will take a day or two off to see sites but it's mainly a fishing vacation. I would love to charter daily but I still need to pay my bills after this trip. It's the first time to the Keys for all but one in the group. Three of us fish often and are more interested in casting to fish than soaking bait.
Any help and insight is appreciated (y)

I will be there in April as well. We are doing 3 days for sail fish out of West Palm Beach and than 2 days of tarpon out of Islamorada. Can't help you much as I am no expert, but I believe you could catch some mangrove snapper and possibly other inshore fish from the kayaks. If you have your sights set on catching flats fish (tarpon, bonefish or permit) you will want to go guided IMO. The keys flats fish are some of the toughest in the world to get a hook in. Local knowledge will prevail. Good luck and have fun

You should be into mahi in April Off shore. Not much shore fishing in the keys but you can wade fish For bones , cuda and jacks. Yaks are the better option over wade fishing for most fishing especially mangrove snapper. Its a bait fishing game using shrimp up against the mangroves but it not really soaking bait and wait.
you toss up into where there are mangrove snapper you get hit right away. You can drift flats and channel edges in the yaks for tarpon , cuba, jacks and sharks. Jacks and cuda are fish you can cast lures into for some fun fishing.

Should be good fishing, just depends on if you can get out if going offshore. Can be pretty windy that time of year. If too windy for offshore the reefs are a good bet for a wide variety.

Tarpon under bridges at night are a blast! Look for bridges with street lights and fish the shadow line on the upcurrent side. I love chasing walleyes and big pike but casting to tarpon that are smashing bait on the surface of the water is on another level!.

After a cancelled trip a couple years ago, we are headed to Islamorada in late April. Looks like we are staying in a bay side house for week. The family fishing crew is me and three guys in their twenties.
I'm thinking one day offshore charter (Mahi would be nice), one day backcountry, and one son will be spear fishing at some point. The house has a few kayaks and I'm looking for info about what's available to catch or do either from the yaks or shore. We will take a day or two off to see sites but it's mainly a fishing vacation. I would love to charter daily but I still need to pay my bills after this trip. It's the first time to the Keys for all but one in the group. Three of us fish often and are more interested in casting to fish than soaking bait.
Any help and insight is appreciated (y)
Not sure of the Boners are biting in April..great sight casting fish..

Thanks for the input guys. Plane tickets and house are booked, now looking at a couple different charters. Staying a night near relatives in Pompano Beach before driving south. This is likely gonna be a once in a lifetime type of trip.
Watching YouTube videos and trying to temper expectations. If we get into half the action in these videos, it will be an awesome time.
Anyone ever spearfish down there? Wondering if it's worth it for my son or just stick to rod and reel.

Thanks for the input guys. Plane tickets and house are booked, now looking at a couple different charters. Staying a night near relatives in Pompano Beach before driving south. This is likely gonna be a once in a lifetime type of trip.
Watching YouTube videos and trying to temper expectations. If we get into half the action in these videos, it will be an awesome time.
Anyone ever spearfish down there? Wondering if it's worth it for my son or just stick to rod and reel.
Spearfishing can be incredible, especially on the reef. Snorkeling for lobster too!

I just got back from Hawk’s Cay Resort on Duck Key. We did one inshore charter and one reef charter. My 9-year old son had a broken leg, but both captains did a great job accommodating him. If you are looking for a tarpon charter, Captain Jeff with Tarpon Time was awesome. We were targeting more of a mixed bag since the migratory tarpon weren’t around yet, but my son and I both hooked smaller resident tarpon during the 45 minutes or so that we fished for them.
900DA816-054C-4CF7-9E61-02C8F6928176.jpeg2343EE77-1B8B-4C5F-BE1E-085CAD6AEB37.jpegF89FA6C9-C82D-4378-A682-1FBE60959EFB.jpeg

@BucksnDucks how'd the trip go?

Heading down to Key Largo In early May for some diving and fishing. Planning on one half day fishing in the Glades and another day off-shore.

Any do's, don't, and lessons learned?

Just returned myself from the keys. First trip down there. Tarpon and snook were a blast fishing out of a small boat. I booted four Tarpon before hanging on to one long enough to get pics. We stayed on Marathon and found plenty of fish to cast to from shore as well. I only took my 8 wt. and floating line with me. Next year I’ll probably add a spinning rod and a 6wt. Spent some time looking at houses with dock/water access and saw tarpon, snook and a whole lot I didn’t recognize in the canals. Saw a couple guys in kayaks staying consistently busy on fish.
The days we had booked for off shore it got windy and pretty dang rough.
The Mangrove snapper were a blast. Catherine caught a tone of them on shrimp. I got a few on a snook fly I slimed up with a little shrimp.
Took the few fish we killed, Mahi and snapper to keys fishery/restaurant on Marathon and they cooked them for us.
Took a couple of kayaks out one evening just for fun in about two feet of water had lemon sharks all around chasing all kinds of fish right at high tide.
We didn’t spend near as much time fishing as we could have and we are definitely going back.

Attachments

• IMG_8299.jpeg
    IMG_8299.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4351.jpeg
    IMG_4351.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8243.jpeg
    IMG_8243.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8246.jpeg
    IMG_8246.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
We go for the Hemingway festival every year. Group of 60+ year olds acting like we're 21 again. Drink from daylight to the wee hrs. 4 days is plenty to get it out of your system..Always have a blast. Go to our usual haunts and eat like kings...

Heading down to Key Largo In early May for some diving and fishing. Planning on one half day fishing in the Glades and another day off-shore.

I have no reference to Judge but a couple of Catherines friends have spent a lot of time in the Everglades. We actually took a couple of hikes looking for gators and Pythons. Folks we were with felt the water at this time of year was high, thigh deep instead of knee deep. Regardless it was one of the best things we did. If you go into the Glades to hike and such wear quick dry long pants. Take water shoes with you. For lunch or an early dinner (they close at 6 currently) go to Alabama Jacks. Food was great, atmosphere was interesting and if you sit at the rail you’ll see lots of fish. She said it was her favorite place in college to come with her friends, so its been there since the 70s at least.

Attachments

• IMG_8345.jpeg
    IMG_8345.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8342.jpeg
    IMG_8342.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8268.jpeg
    IMG_8268.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8269.jpeg
    IMG_8269.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8359.jpeg
    IMG_8359.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
We are headed all the way to Key West for spring break. Taking the kids out fishing, hoping to catch some Mahi Mahi.

As a whole, the trip was great. The house we rented was spectacular, with a small pool and dock. Sharks, Cuda, Manatee and tons of Parrot fish right there. Rented a couple kayaks and cruised the Bay, caught some small fish. The two guided trips were kind of a mixed bag and my son's dive day a complete waste due to weather and incompetence of other divers in group. If you're diving Key Largo seems to be the top place.

First guide for backcountry seemed like a solid angler but apparently hated being a guide. Dude had zero personality, no communication skills and anger issues. Bright side we went two for two on Tarpon with a 120 lber. I tried to make calls and research guides for the right fit, but oh well.

Second guide for offshore was the complete opposite. A young guy with a tremendous attitude and love of fishing. Plan was to start off with some easier fishing at his "spot"/ favorite rock pile offshore. That was a bust and he struggled to figure a plan B. We later switched to looking for Mahi or Tuna. Guide put forth effort and ended up with several "peanut" sized Mahi that equaled lunch and dinner for a couple days.

Biggest surprise for me was the snorkeling trip. I had very low expectations but loved it, great time. I forget the name of spot, but it is one of the most popular around Middle Keys.
Time flies on vacation and the trip went by so fast. I could have stayed for at least another week. I have no hot tips other than try to dive or snorkel several spots as it is world class. Rent kayaks a or a boat and do some DIY exploring. Talk with some guides or get a good recommendation for the type of fishing you are looking for. I was told we were kind of in between seasons for offshore with Tuna ending and Mahi just starting. One tip if you want to catch a Barracuda, they absolutely love that basic red Cuda Tube.
Have a great time
Steve

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back