Michigan's UP Walleye opener

yooper

Our walleye season opened Tuesday, May 15.

Me and a buddy went to Bay De Noc and had absolutely the BEST opener in our lives. We stayed overnight and fished the 16th also, and both days we limited-out (Michigan limit is 5 fish over 15"/angler).

All told we caught 21 'keepers' and threw 2 of those back.... we don't keep anything over 21" and both of these we over 25".

Temps were in the 50's on Tuesday and it was cloudy and windy; on Wednesday it started out cloudy but ended-up being over 70 and sunny.

A super opener and to top it off, I'll be going back in a couple weeks with another friend.

cold beer and fresh walleye ,man it dont get much better than that!:D glad your having a good run this year and best of all getting to enjoy it with your buds!

are you jiggin for them ????? how deep ????

sound like a blast we get a few in tenn. but not like what you get up there! GOOD LUCK on your next outting and keep us posted!!!

We use floating jigheads called 'Gumdrop Jigs' made by Northland tackle. We use a 18-30" snell and use a slip-sinker to fish them Lindy-rig style.

We drift in 12 to 24 feet of water over reefs and flats. Bay De Noc is a huge body of water teeming with walleye. I fish there a couple times each summer and once each winter. Biggest one I've ever caught from there was 29" long and a little over 9 lbs.

Sounds like fun. Every chance you get go.

We had our walleye run on the Maumee River here. I have decided not to ever fish for walleyes while spawning since the population is going down in numbers. We went from a limit of 10 last year to 4(went to 5 May1) this tear. The only problem is I don't have a boat to go out on Lake Erie. I will have to get a charter I guess

Yeah I have been reading alot these past couple years about the population going down dramatically in Erie. Lots of theories, I guess, but noones really too sure why. Could be the zebra mussels taking the zooplankton that the fry feed on; could be Canadian commercial overharvest; could be too much sportfishing pressure.

Whatever the reason, the numbers have really dropped.

I was down in your neck of the woods a couple weeks ago: took the turnpike to Youngstown and then on to Pennsylvania. Nice country.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back