Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Michigan grouse

hoosier_pharmer

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I live in IN and make yearly trips west to pheasant hunt. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with grouse hunting in Michigan. Are there any public areas to hunt? What could I expect as far as the number of birds? My hunting buddies and I have very good dogs, Just looking for a place closer to home to chase wild birds.

Thanks

Head to the UP and hunt daylight til dark on huge blocks of publicly accessible land. The drive would be about as much as going to the Dakotas for pheasant though.

Michigan has about 8 million acres of public land to hunt, with a good portion of that being in the Upper Peninsula. The Upper Peninsula has two National Forests.....Hiawatha and Ottawa. You would have no trouble finding public land to hunt Grouse (or "Partridge" as they are called here). The 10 year cycle of the Grouse peaked here in 2011, so they are 3 years into the downhill slope. I'm sure you could find some birds if you plan on making the trip. I'm far from an expert with Grouse but I would focus around the Marquette area or western part of the U.P. ........and welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Look for the thickest stuff you can find where they can hear you coming from a long way off. You will know they were there by the sound of them taking flight. :D

We've hunted a decent amount around Atlanta. It's in the lower peninsula. There is a motel in town that caters to hunters with dogs. Avery lake campground is where we stay. Lots of public land. I haven't made the trip in a couple years but my old man has with some friends of ours. Last year grouse were few and far between but woodcock were everywhere. If I can help you in any other way let me know.

bird hunting

I live in northern lower Michigan got a good buddy that put up a bird camp every year. you will have lots of fun I can get it lined up with him just pm me. he spends about a month living in the woods. let me know if I can help you out.

Welcome aboard _pharmer! What part of IN do you call home? I grew up in SW IN, live in the Indy area mess now, and have property near Patoka lake.

Im a little west of Indy. I dont own any hunting property yet, so Im always on the lookout for available places to hunt.

Good deal! I work on the west side. What I wouldn't give to have permission on of the farms adjacent to Eagle Creek Park...

welcome aboard! Lots of great guys/gals with tons of expertise on about everything on here. How far west of the big town? I'm west about 45 miles.....

Im only about 15 miles west, near the airport. There are definately some giants walking around Eagle Creek park. I have limited access to a small patch woods in Cloverdale, where I mostly glass big deer on the neighboring properties.

Im only about 15 miles west, near the airport. There are definately some giants walking around Eagle Creek park. I have limited access to a small patch woods in Cloverdale, where I mostly glass big deer on the neighboring properties.

Cloverdale and Greencastle areas hold some nice deer! I'm about 25 miles north of there. . .

Hoosier pharmer,
I was a wildlife manager in Michigan and studied Ruffed Grouse throughout my career and my education. Ruffed grouse go through a ten-year population cycle and the difference in numbers of birds from the high end to low end can be as much as 10:1. In high years, birds seem to be "everywhere", and you will find a lot of birds in marginal habitat types after the "fall shuffle". In low years, you will generally only find birds in high quality optimal habitat.

If you key in on those areas of high quality habitat you can still have very good hunting and a lot less pressure, since most casual bird hunters will stay home. I would recommend you join The Ruffed Grouse Society and look at their website for the publications they put out . Get "The Ruffed Grouse" by Gordon Gullion. The late Gordon Gullion is considered to be the guru of ruffed grouse and ruffed grouse management. It is a beautiful book, available in paperback or hardcover, and will teach you more about ruffed grouse than anything else. I promise you it will increase your hunting success and enjoyment.

Northern lower peninsula can be good in areas, but the west end of the U.P., from Delta County over towards Gogebic County is finite grouse country for the most part. That whole "circle" around the western U.P., northern Wisconsin and northeastern Minnesota is the prime area for ruffed grouse. Awesome in October!!!

I always for years have made the trip to western U.P. for grouse. Some years great and others a bust.The north western part ,.South side of the Porkies.Nice area,go the second week of the season and you probably will have the whole place to yourself.

I was in East Jordan over the weekend and walked up on a nice covey of 6-8 that all just slowly walked away. If you don't want to drive all the way to the U.P. they can be found in pockets in the northern lower. You just have to do a lot of walking.

I have a place that always have held a few birds in lower Michigan,but I never tell where it is at,just it is public land.I also took one of my best whitetail from this area.

Just returned from my yearly trip to the UP. Worst trip ever for grouse.Only found one bird in 4 days. Locals blame it on the coyote and wolf population. Saddens me to think our state has let this get out of hand.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get out at all. From what I've heard though is about the same as you mentioned......very few Partridge around. At least in this area (Delta county).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back