Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Michigan Deer gun season

Does any one think a 12 gauge 1 oz slug is over kill

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

300 win mag

is 12 gauge over kill for whitetail I use 12 gauge but some people tell me it is over kill.

I don’t think so. You could get by with a lot less but a 1oz. projectile sure does a hell of a number on them. My shots were typically always in timber and under 100yds.

Growing up in Central Michigan 12 gauge was the poor mans deer rifle. With a large slug like that shot placement is everything. Don't know if it is still the case but back in the day anything South of M57 was shotgun only. I grew up within 5 miles of that line and can remember being on the North side watch guys on the South side looking at deer 150 yards out and not taking the shot. Once the deer crossed the line, guys on the North side were opening up with high power rifles.

There are SOOO many more options out there than the ole' 1 oz. foster-style slugs used back in the day before rifled slug barrels and sabots came out.

If you have the option I personnally would use rifled slug barrel w/saboted slugs, or an inline muzzleloader.

But to answer your question actually, no 12 gauge is not overkill

Growing up in Central Michigan 12 gauge was the poor mans deer rifle. With a large slug like that shot placement is everything. Don't know if it is still the case but back in the day anything South of M57 was shotgun only. I grew up within 5 miles of that line and can remember being on the North side watch guys on the South side looking at deer 150 yards out and not taking the shot. Once the deer crossed the line, guys on the North side were opening up with high power rifles.
i know it is quite anoying but when im in the u.p. i use a 300 win mag

There are SOOO many more options out there than the ole' 1 oz. foster-style slugs used back in the day before rifled slug barrels and sabots came out.

If you have the option I personnally would use rifled slug barrel w/saboted slugs, or an inline muzzleloader.
i dont hunt in the shot gun zone very much i mainly hunt in the u.p. with a 300 win mag

Unless you are on farm land in the UP with shots out to 300 yards, I would consider a .300 Win Mag overkill. Even knowing how big some of the swamp donkeys are up there, that is a straight up cannon. .30-06 was the gun of choice when I was growing up and that is what I used for a number of years. Got tired of blowing up shoulders and ruining meat so I switched to a .270 WSM and will never go back to a 30 caliber.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back