Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Metcalf or Pintler

Nick28

Looking to get a larger pack. I'm torn between the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and the Mystery Ranch Pintler. What one would you guys get, or if you already have one of them, how do you like it?

I have a Metcalf and love it. Never used a Pintler. The Metcalf is my go-to hunt pack, even if it's just for one night, or a long day trip. It compresses down nicely for a pack of it's size.

I have both. The Pintler gets the most use by about 10X because it’s just right for a day pack. But for overnights, it’s the Metcalf all the way.

I have a Metcalf and love it. Never used a Pintler. The Metcalf is my go-to hunt pack, even if it's just for one night, or a long day trip. It compresses down nicely for a pack of it's size.
Same for me, and I agree. Maybe I just carry too much schtuff for a day hunt, but the Metcalf certainly isn't too large of a pack for me.

Same for me, and I agree. Maybe I just carry too much schtuff for a day hunt, but the Metcalf certainly isn't too large of a pack for me.
Agreed. I toyed with getting a second bag, but having run the Metcalf for a couple of seasons I dont see the need.

I have the Metcalf for myself and the Women's Pintler for my wife. I like the option of being able to carry more gear if needed, as it compresses down pretty good. The important part of the Pintler was the overload shelf, or whatever you call it, for attaching quarters/boned out meat bags. If money isn't your main concern I'd go Metcalf, just for the option of greater capacity just in case you need it.

I'd definitely go Metcalf, I used it all season as a day pack. It cinches down to basically nothing, and then you can fully open it up for multi day trips. If you're only ever going to use it for up to 2-3 days the Pintler would probably work.

Thanks guys, I have been leaning towards the Metcalf but just wanted to get some other opinions.

I looked at both Metcalf and Pintler, and ultimately went with a Selway. Pintler style just a bit larger and still more streamlined than Metcalf.

I have both - Pinter great size for day pack, Metcalf nice for multi-day. If I could only have one, I would buy Metcalf as it chinches down fairly well for day pack usage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back