Metalworking Hunttalkers!

That is kinda stuff my dad was always doing as I grew up. I got to see farm fixes and ingenuity every week. He truly was a master repair man before there was a YouTube to show you how.

He had a whole room of his house dedicated to repair manuals that had greasy finger prints on them. I miss those days.
People like to talk shit about "dumb farmers."
I think they're the most ingenuitive group of folks there is.

He started using the printing version when computers and printers became more available. You two would of enjoyed swapping stories.
Yeah, stories are what we pass on to the next generation as education. I tell the younger guy that drop in here to ask questions or have me help them that if they don't learn everything I know by the time I'm dead, it's their fault.

You got me started on reminiscing and stories from the archives.
I was very lucky to have been around true Master Mechanics. Our neighbor when I was a teenager in the late 60's was the civilian head of maintenance at NAS Alameda. He taught me that if you know how the machine, engine, whatever works then it's a lot easier to make it work when it doesn't. I miss him like a father.

Miller 220.

Playing with aluminum spool gun.

2722.jpg

2724.jpg

2 burner forge:

20210510_153604.jpg
20210512_144413.jpg

Completed. I've been editing a video of this build though it's been on hold since our recent move though here is the completed project.
The tacked on post screw with the junk piece of flat iron is indicative of my welding, haha! It was created as a stir stick to tighten into a drill:

20210618_191234.jpg

A couple of the fun projects placed on the YouTube channel. The collapsible stove shared here in the past:

Modifications to our beloved Harbor Freight quality tools, to make it a usable product (Haha!)!

Good fun, all around. LOVE pushing/pulling puddles of metal! I'm temporarily out of action as work has temp relocated us and I've yet to set the garage to accommodate welding endeavors.

We install complicated structural and light gage metal stud framing systems for walls/hard ceilings, and ceiling grid for clouds, radius, light troughs. Seldom weld though.

Face it square, bore the holes, mill the majority of the inside then do the inner radius with a boring head. With the inner done it was set up on the rotary table and the outside was contoured. A quick touch up on the belt sander and then the screw holes were drilled. If you grind after the holes it can round off the edge.

The Lincolns are nice, I still prefer blue.
My TIG is a Primeweld, it's been a great machine so far.
I'm looking at a Primeweld Mig machine. I have a Lincoln that I like back in my dads barn in Michigan that I didnt bring with me thinking I wouldn't be doing much welding (WRONG). I picked up a rig from harbor freight and its been welding better then I anticipated. Thought about getting one of the Vulcan machines but The Primes are a good price and I've heard nothing but good things about them as a shop machine.

I'm looking at a Primeweld Mig machine. I have a Lincoln that I like back in my dads barn in Michigan that I didnt bring with me thinking I wouldn't be doing much welding (WRONG). I picked up a rig from harbor freight and its been welding better then I anticipated. Thought about getting one of the Vulcan machines but The Primes are a good price and I've heard nothing but good things about them as a shop machine.
There's no substitute for a Lincoln or a Miller. Anything else is just a Chinese clone.

Reactions: KB_
There's no substitute for a Lincoln or a Miller. Anything else is just a Chinese clone.
I dont disagree with you. But my cheapy harbor freight model works shockingly good for what it costs.

But at the same time I'm not welding big farm equipment with it either.

Prime weld is out of New Jersey, But I cant confirm if they are assembled or actually made there. Likely assembled.

Hobart is pretty good too. We had Hobarts laying around the Hanger while I was in the service and never really had issues with those.

show us yours then?
My personal stainless welding is not that great but I manage a fab shop that does a fair amount of stainless fabrication. Trust me I am more than qualified enough to critique that weld if that is what you are getting at.

I had kinda forgot about Hobart machines. I never had an issue with them. My plasma is an ESAB and is as reliable as they come. All it takes is one critical weld to go funky and the higher quality machines will prove their value over the others. I need a machine that is capable of welding better than I can.

My personal stainless welding is not that great but I manage a fab shop that does a fair amount of stainless fabrication. Trust me I am more than qualified enough to critique that weld if that is what you are getting at.
Not what I was getting at. I figured if you could critique his decent weld you must be a welder on the professional side.

Really just hoping to see some sweet stainless tig. Guess I could have elaborated.

What all does your fab shop specialize in?

Not what I was getting at. I figured if you could critique his decent weld you must be a welder on the professional side.

Really just hoping to see some sweet stainless tig. Guess I could have elaborated.

What all does your fab shop specialize in?
Anything and everything but mostly mining equipment. We have a sand cast foundry, fab shop, machine shop and field services crew.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back