Metalworking Hunttalkers!

I am impressed with ALL of the above projects.
Really need to learn welding.
My 5 acres needs some whacky field art.
There's a dude that lives near me who does yard art out of propane tanks..hasn't sold anything in a decade. One is a hunter that resembles Quint from "Jaws" shooting a punt gun sized shotgun with the muzzle firmly planted in a goose's cloaca.

Did you run the rod all the way through the uprights or weld them on each? That looks really clean.
I ran it through. I set up a couple jigs to make sure all the holes were lined up correctly but the angled baluster were a pain, I couldn't get a normal drill bit to bite at that angle without walking all over so I used a rotary cutting bit in the drill press.

I built this 2x72 belt grinder when I realized a comparable one was $2k.

I'm impressed, I was just talking to a guy last week who built one like that. I'm not inspired to fabricate anything that includes high-speed moving parts, just don't trust myself that much :ROFLMAO:

I am impressed with ALL of the above projects.
Really need to learn welding.
My 5 acres needs some whacky field art.

Do it! Buy an entry-level machine, a cutoff saw or grinder, and some safety gear-mask, gloves, etc., and get on You Tube to learn the basics. My cousin is a good welder and taught me some stuff, but if you're just tacking non-structural stuff together it doesn't take much skill and it's a whole lot of fun. The problem is that you'll probably get into it and quickly outgrow your machine...

Do it! Buy an entry-level machine, a cutoff saw or grinder, and some safety gear-mask, gloves, etc., and get on You Tube to learn the basics. My cousin is a good welder and taught me some stuff, but if you're just tacking non-structural stuff together it doesn't take much skill and it's a whole lot of fun. The problem is that you'll probably get into it and quickly outgrow your machine...
There is an welding class available during the winter for adults in Bozeman. I really should buck up and do it.
Learn to weld and also step up scavenging.

Sweet, what are you using to drive that thing? on my list of must builds.
it's a 2hp 230 volt sealed motor. The VFD allows me to plug it into 120.

I use this belt grinder more than any other tool in my shop. I literally couldn't do without it at this point.

I'm impressed, I was just talking to a guy last week who built one like that. I'm not inspired to fabricate anything that includes high-speed moving parts, just don't trust myself that much :ROFLMAO:
If I can do it anyone can.
The main thing is just keep everything square so it tracks correctly.

I ran it through. I set up a couple jigs to make sure all the holes were lined up correctly but the angled baluster were a pain, I couldn't get a normal drill bit to bite at that angle without walking all over so I used a rotary cutting bit in the drill press.
If you have access to them, annular cutters work good on angled startsScreenshot_20221223_090136.jpg

following this thread. Didnt know there was so many guys here that weld. I learned as a kid welding my dads tractors back together when he broke them lol. I wouldnt say im particularly impressive but I can mig weld pretty good, Stick im good enough. Never done any tig welding. But I use to be pretty good with a torch and brass rod, but its been a long time.

This inspires me to work on some art pieces I've had sitting around waiting for me to get motivated.

What's all the stuff you've got on the big stove?

Thank you
Thermal powered fan, I usually have three on top of the stove and they do an excellent job circulating the air in the tent.
The little pucks are dual purpose redneck heatsinks. The stove gets way too hot to cook with cast iron directly on top, putting the "pucks" between the stove top and cast iron was my solution. Similar to adding the proper amount of coals to a Dutch oven, I can regulate the heat just as good as a gas range by simply adding or subtracting pucks. I've cooked enchiladas, fresh sourdough, cornbread, tamales, etc on my stove top this way.
The pucks are scrap aluminum bar and copper stock I had laying around. Turned them down and pressed a solid copper rod into the center, fantastic heat transfer, I leave them on top of the stove and let the fans blow across them.122758.jpeg

Thermal powered fan, I usually have three on top of the stove and they do an excellent job circulating the air in the tent.
The little pucks are dual purpose redneck heatsinks. The stove gets way too hot to cook with cast iron directly on top, putting the "pucks" between the stove top and cast iron was my solution. Similar to adding the proper amount of coals to a Dutch oven, I can regulate the heat just as good as a gas range by simply adding or subtracting pucks. I've cooked enchiladas, fresh sourdough, cornbread, tamales, etc on my stove top this way.
The pucks are scrap aluminum bar and copper stock I had laying around. Turned them down and pressed a solid copper rod into the center, fantastic heat transfer, I leave them on top of the stove and let the fans blow across them.View attachment 257322
The pucks are what I was curious about. Good idea!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back