MeatEater 206

how much gulped air are you really gulping while gutting a deer? you might want to see a doc if you are swallowing that much air on the reg.

and even if you were, most of that gulped air would just get burped back out. and if you weren't burping it, a few gulps of air with some smelly molecules in it is going to pale in comparison to all the taco bell and deer camp sloppy joes you ate in terms of lower intestinal stench

Good points, but the fart will smell exactly like the animal. Hog guts, rabbit guts, ducks guts all have their own bouquet. The fart will smell exactly as the guts, a short time after cleaning. We used to comment on it all the time. I don't believe it is a memory or ghost fart. I think you are expelling gathered molecules. The smell is is just too specific to be anything else.

Any fart doctors on?

how much gulped air are you really gulping while gutting a deer? you might want to see a doc if you are swallowing that much air on the reg.

and even if you were, most of that gulped air would just get burped back out. and if you weren't burping it, a few gulps of air with some smelly molecules in it is going to pale in comparison to all the taco bell and deer camp sloppy joes you ate in terms of lower intestinal stench

Last edited:

and even if you were, most of that gulped air would just get burped back out. and if you weren't burping it, a few gulps of air with some smelly molecules in it is going to pale in comparison to all the taco bell and deer camp sloppy joes you ate in terms of lower intestinal stench - cause for starters, farts are not just gulped air....

I visit a gastroenterologist once a year or so. Next time I see him I'll ask him about this. I'm sure he'd love to take 5 extra minutes to explore this topic lol. He is a hunter so maybe...

Jeez, ya think ol' Steve is just trying to rile up folks about "true outdoorsmen" by dissin' skiing? Good writers want to be cussed and discussed. He's succeeding. Kinda like his call to open Yellowstone Park to hunting. Listen carefully and you can hear his tongue in his cheek. Of course he's dead wrong about skiing. Makes him sound like a flatlander. One of the best hunters Montana ever produced was Paul Schafer, who died skiing on the Big Mountain.

I'm guessing he is saying that if you have time to ski, you have time to scout or hunt. I agree with that.
I would add an extra layer on to that. The personalities are polar opposites. Generally speaking, a skier likes to be seen and a hunter likes to be the watcher. I find this consistent with people I am meeting who ski or hunt.
Why you scared to shred, Bushy?
As a man trapped in the Midwest I can’t imagine living out there and not sneaking off to cut Champagne pow (not Sierra slab) every chance that you get.
I could prob do without the rock chips and broken windows though.
Don’t let my insider lingo intimidate you, I’ve only been skiing once.

Your honor I would argue that the only true outdoorsmen and women are skiers or riders, and that Steve is just showing his insecurity at moving to a mountain town and not being good at a ubiquitous winter sport.

Exhibit A: Mr. David Wise, Olympic gold medalist and hunter
View attachment 127520

Exhibit B: Ms.Tatum Monod Big Mountain Skier, Angler, and Hunter
View attachment 127521View attachment 127523

Exhibit C: The Treadway Brothers (RIP Dave)

Exhibit D: Ian Cosco aka Chug Life, Pro skier, Bush Pilot, hunter

View attachment 127524View attachment 127525

Exhibit E: John Spriggs

View attachment 127526View attachment 127527

Exhibit F: Tanner Coulter, sheep guide
View attachment 127528

... I rest my case.

You have way too much time on your hands.

It's funny how he doesn't bring this up to Cal, who also skis.

I guess I don't know any hunters then, and I certainly am not one, if recreational skiing is an eliminating factor.
he knows better then to mess with a man with a stache like Cal‘s and the Tonto like demeanor
that has saved his tail from a wounded moose and more then one bear.

Steve always gives Janis crap for skiing and how that makes him not a true outdoorsman.

Well you know what isnt really outdoorsy? writing books, Steve. NERD

I do think Janis is getting sick of Steve a little bit tho.

Steve always gives Janis crap for skiing and how that makes him not a true outdoorsman.

This is gonna end up like when Willie Saylor left FloWrestling.

I don't think Steve is that impressive a writer, his recipes by his own admission are ripped from chefs with game added in to where domestic animals were and he doesn't come across as an all too good hunter. He certainly surrounds himself with good hunters though. In the last couple of seasons i remember he tried to stalk a bedded mule deer buck from below. I'd like to think my 13 year old sister would be smart enough to not do that especially in that situation.

I think he got his fame for the same reason I initially enjoyed his stuff. It was a breath of fresh air to have a show about hunting that was about food and hunting and not a shameless trophy hunting show cramming advertisements down your throat.
I don't know if the fame has got to his head or he's blinded by the money but none of what I liked about him originally is really there anymore. The latest rushed half season of meateater, his insufferable podcasts, the fact they sell their own whiskey.

I don't know a lot about America but I know about my own country enough to know that just about anytime he mentions Australia what comes out of his mouth is incorrect. When he last year on a podcast called the world famous conservationist/hunter Jim Corbett an American (he actually didn't even get his name right), I realised how uncultured and ignorant he really is.

So take anything he says with a grain of salt is my suggestion. But then again maybe I'm completely wrong, I don't consider myself infallible that's for sure.

You Aussies all think there are grizzly bears in Colorado, so yeah, I take your opinion with a grain of salt... ;)

You should hear him, Steve, talk about the ethics of Golfing vs. Hunting. Turns into Rural vs. Urban. My point is he's prone to be a little opinionated, but an entertaining opinion. He picks on "Yani, long-tongs" because he respects him and wishes he could be a woodsman like Janis! Just my take, but I enjoy the banter.

I could be wrong but I’m 99% positive he said Janis wasn’t a true outdoorsman because his family skis on Christmas instead of hunts.

I remember even Cal being shocked by this.

But brah, I already shred the gnar. I'm a longboard skater and I watched Ski Patrol just last week.

Why you scared to shred, Bushy?
As a man trapped in the Midwest I can’t imagine living out there and not sneaking off to cut Champagne pow (not Sierra slab) every chance that you get.
I could prob do without the rock chips and broken windows though.
Don’t let my insider lingo intimidate you, I’ve only been skiing once.

February, March, April...just counting the months till draws begin to come out, the weather warms, mushrooms are popping and we can get back outside more frequently.

It would be interesting to see them live because he does have the slightest hint of annoyance in his voice it seems on recent podcasts. It's like he's getting burned out dealing with Steve a bit.

It would be interesting to see them live because he does have the slightest hint of annoyance in his voice it seems on recent podcasts. It's like he's getting burned out dealing with Steve a bit.

I feel like Steve is one of those guys that just likes to argue his opinions often, and to him it feels like the equivalent of just light sparring, but is exhausting to other people who aren't trying to engage in that kind of discourse all the damn time.

I was huge Rinella jock rider at one point, but once again he's reminded me to never know your heroes too well.

I watched Ski Patrol just last week.

brah you’re getting ski movies wrong - every pow shredder knows they rank as:

1- Ski School (so far ahead - like Powder days at steamboat compared to any resort in MN/WI/MI)
...<big gap>
2- Hot Dog
3- Aspen extreme
4- Ski Patrol
99- Ski School 2

I was shocked by both angles. Back in the South we did not go hunting on Christmas. But it was tradition to head up to deer camp after finishing thanksgiving. Must be a Michigan thing.

I could be wrong but I’m 99% positive he said Janis wasn’t a true outdoorsman because his family skis on Christmas instead of hunts.

I remember even Cal being shocked by this.

Last edited:
Back